Analog synths. Need your advice !

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Smokeyharrisun

Analog synths. Need your advice !

Post by Smokeyharrisun » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Hey all!
I'm a newly gigging pianist/ keyboardist looking to incorporate analog synths into my sound. Mainly to create ambience, long pass, drones etc, but also for synth bass and lead parts.
What I absolutely NEED is the possibility to save favorite patches in banks and pull them up live with ease, as well as having a somewhat intuitive and hands on display with minimal risk of accidentally destroying the sound or getting lost on stage.
What I'd prefer to have is at least 8 voices, at least 49 keys and decent quality effects to maybe save up the extra gear. I would also like to have the option to create a complex bass drones and play lead parts on top of them.
From a short research I found the prologue and the DS rev2 as good options.
Perhaps anyone could give recommendations, insights, tips or suggestions?
Thanks!!
P

cutoffres

Re: Analog synths. Need your advice !

Post by cutoffres » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:55 pm

For a vintage synth, i would say a Sequential circuits six trak . 49note . arpeggiator. Patch save. Sounds so good. Solid. Not too heavy. great Synth lead and bass. drone can be programmed easily. actually very cheap for what it offer.
I have got many bigger vintage synthesizer, but the sixtrak has something special, i use it very often.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:44 pm

The Rev2 can easily do drones while you play another sound on top. Not sure about the Prologue.

Rev2 has a mode where the pots always start from the current setting in memory so you never get sudden jumps in parameters if you bump a knob accidentally.

Rev2 patch recall is not as simple as in some other boards which split the patch memory into banks of 8 or 16 patches or allow category searching. Once you are in one of the bnaks, you have to scroll though up to 128 sounds to get to the one you want. There is no keypad style selection mechanism. So for gigs, just store sounds you need for particular gigs/songs near each other to minimize the scrolling.

If sound programming flexibility is important to you, the Rev2 beats the Prologue hands down...more mod sources and way more mod routings.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Re: split patches. The Rev2 also has a simple sequencer that you can use to drive either bass or chords on one patch, whilst you play lead on the other split patch. The sequencer can do a lot of other things too, including sequencing just about any parameter on the synth.

Particular to drones, you've got four LFOs, which can modulate just about anything, including each other (eg. LFO amp, frequency).