Korg vs Behringer Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
80snostalgia

Korg vs Behringer Odyssey

Post by 80snostalgia » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:53 pm

With excitment of Arp Odyssey clones coming out we have a choice, the Behringer Odyssey has a sequencer and the Korg model doesn't.
But which one makes the best nice authentic sounds like Gary Numan or Ultravox sounds? Also not to mention Tom Bakers Dr Who theme which was also done on the Original Arp.
I don't know which would be the best buy, I'm torn between wanting the sequencer on the Behringer but some say Korg Odyssey is good.
Any help would be appreciated!

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Re: Korg vs Behringer Odyssey

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:39 pm

80snostalgia wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:53 pm
But which one makes the best nice authentic sounds like Gary Numan or Ultravox sounds? Also not to mention Tom Bakers Dr Who theme which was also done on the Original Arp.
Both come very close, but not perfectly 100%. With Behringer you are getting cheaper components that might eventually wear off - but that's my opinion based on what Behringer gear I previously had, Deepmind (except for the vibrating fan) and Model D are still functioning pretty correctly so far.

Also bear in mind that Doctor Who theme was done on two synthesizers (and a vocoder). Odyssey provided the triangle lead, while CS80 provided virtually the rest of the track.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Is the Barp Odyssey even in stores yet? I see nothing but pre-orders at online dealers. Until it is, any discussion of the sonics is conjecture based on YouTube videos.

One thing is certain, it's way, way cheaper...as low as $415 at one online dealer.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:53 pm

True, we have Youtube vids only to compare, but based on what they did with Model D - I'm fairly confident they're not exaggerating.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:14 pm

The Boog I have doesn't feel or sound cheap; only time will tell on quality.

I see that the Bodyssey has FS keys. That said, the Karp mini keys comes with a pretty solid carry case thrown in, which I've really come to appreciate. The build quality is excellent, and it sounds very close to the real thing. Is it worth paying a a bit extra for though? I couldn't say: but I'm not going to sell mine any time soon.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:36 pm

This dude seems to now work for Behringer, but if the final version materializes like his demo, I'd say it wins in most respects. The Karp is excellent though, and the sound is dead on. I ultimately sold mine off to fund my dream synth, an Octave Cat.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:20 pm

Hmm...weird that the BPM of the Barp's FX unit is not synchable to the sequencer or MIDI clocks.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

SerErris

Post by SerErris » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:54 pm

Here is another Demo...
Awesome stuff really great musician ... not just the gear. And also I love the way how he made the video telling us what he is doing during the play.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 pm

Bloody h**l for £400 I'm willing to give it a shot