korg dw8000 problems

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
admaloch91@gmail.com

korg dw8000 problems

Post by admaloch91@gmail.com » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:00 am

I purchased a non functioning Korg DW8000 for cheap thinking it just needed a new battery, but it might have more problems than I realized. I've searched around, but can't tell if other posts have addresed my exact issues.

1. It turns on and seems to play alright and I'm able to load patches and edit, but all of the outputs are really soft (Left, right and headphones). I have to mess with the cable to get any sound and turn my amp up really loud to hear it. Is that a battery issue or do they need to be re soldered or something? The volume slider makes a slight difference in volume but not much, so thats off too.

2. The arpeggiator doesn't work. When I press the arpeggiator button, the synth stops making noise al together.

3. 5 or 6 keys, all in a row, don't work, but they feel fine and don't seem messed up or anything.

Anyone had similar problems?
Thanks

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: korg dw8000 problems

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Problem 1. Could be a bad volume slider, and probably needs replaced. It's a stereo slider that can be found at syntaur. https://www.syntaur.com/Items.php?Item=4743

Problem 2. I'd guess the arpeggiater is set to receive a midi clock in, and you're likely not sending it a signal, so it's doing nothing. edit setting 87. If that doesn't fix it, it's a deeper issue.

Problem 3. Keys on these old Korgs are all going bad. There are a number of temporary fixes online, Korg Polysix, Poly61, and Dw8000 all use the same keybed I'm pretty sure. It's any combination of eroding rubber bushings, dirty contact points, and broken plastic hardware. Luckily the Dw8000 has midi.