MPC The Kit

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dollboy

MPC The Kit

Post by Dollboy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Anyone ever seen one of these? I’ve had it for years and never seen another like it. Plenty of info on the standard production model but never any mention of this version. I have always assumed it was an early model or maybe a prototype. Anyone got any ideas?
Attachments
249DB05B-B9CF-4889-8602-5C39EA6E5D97.jpeg

desmond

Re: MPC The Kit

Post by desmond » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 pm

I've not seen that version. It may indeed be a production prototype...

Dollboy

Post by Dollboy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:23 pm

Yes that’s what I think too. I guess beyond that it’ll probably remain a very minor mystery.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:34 am

That looks like something I designed and made in the early 1980's. To put it another way, at that time we (electronics guys) were experimenting designing our own drum machines. We'd made the analogue drums and decided digital was needed for the cymbals. Partly encouraged by Simmonds who was emerging as the experts.

In the case of your MPC I seem to recall the guy went on to make more drum machines. We didn't really have LCD displays then, CRTs were the way (one of my specalist areas of design) , small colour CRTs were available but costly and quite long in length, mono CRTs were simpler (as per the Classic Mac series) - I seem to recall a drum machine/computer appeared where a sequencer and drum sound designer with a CRT. I know Simmonds make their famous DMX (I forget the name exactly) - looked superb. But generally at the time software development was flakey, no standard of build had yet been established, so lots of badly written and barely functional software.

Knowing that potted history, I'd be tempted to clean the thing up, get it working correctly and keep it as a piece of drum design history. To me, it has just as much significance as any other because it was a stepping stone in the developement of the drum machine.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:40 am

blueknob wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:34 am
[...] Simmonds make their famous DMX (I forget the name exactly) - [...]
That would be the SDX, I suppose. That futuristic-looking contraption with the even more futuristic-looking trolley.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Dollboy

Post by Dollboy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:11 pm

So this really could be one of a kind I guess. I will do as you suggest and get it running properly and cleaned up. Having already sampled it, it currently just sits looking pretty in my studio. I love odd old bits and bobs like this. And yes, as you say, a part of drum machine history. Thanks for the input.