Roland D70 - Editing with Tone Palette Sliders

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Quartz

Roland D70 - Editing with Tone Palette Sliders

Post by Quartz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:58 pm

I rebuilt my old D70. Fired it up and reloaded the factory settings via Midi. This is my third...lol. A lot of peeps can't stand this machine but after so many years, I just can't get rid of it. But I digress. Here's my quandary.

I find when I'm editing, for example, Tuning, with the Tone Palette Sliders, it seems to "slide" into the value.
Say the tuning value of one of the tones is -12 and I want to make it 0, I use the slider to slide it up from -12 to 0 and as I get closer to 0, it will go up to +2 when I stop sliding. If I try to slide it back down slowly, it will go past 0 and go to -2 or -3. Kind of like it's skidding to a stop, but, sliding over the finish line.

Anyone experience this odd behavior on their's? My previous build didn't do this.
The editing with the slider was pretty bang-on. I slid it to a value and "bang" that was the value.
All the parts are original factory parts.

Anyone know of a fix? I'm going to try saving all my sounds to a RAM card and re initializing the unit. Then load back all my sounds via the card. I was hoping there was a different solution though. Since the D70 is notorious for sounds going AWOL during Xfers via the cards.

Thanks.

EB5AGV
Gear: Too many to list

Re: Roland D70 - Editing with Tone Palette Sliders

Post by EB5AGV » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:03 pm

I would say that the slider pots need at least cleaning (use Caig DeoxIt or better) and probably replacement. I have seen that kind of problem with that vintage gear.

Jose
Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 5x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, Genos
...and lots more! :mrgreen:
http://jvgavila.com

Quartz

Post by Quartz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks EB,
Here's what I tried over the weekend.
Re-initialized using "Hold down 8 and turn power on". Tried the sliders and they still "slide" into their values once you stop using the slider. But, if I pinch the actual fader and move it with a little fingertip resistance, I can land on my preferred value a little easier.
I'll do the cleaning tonight. Prefer not to replace. The D70 is a pain in the *** to get to the second level of circuit boards.
We'll see. For now, my "pinch and resist" move might be the option.
Appreciate the response EB.
Sorry MODS. I should have posted this in the HELP section.
If someone has the power to move it?...
Thanks.

Quartz

Post by Quartz » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Tried the cleaning to no avail. But they seem pretty rough when I slide them so replacement it is.
All good.

Quartz

Post by Quartz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:41 pm

New (well old probably. Ordered from Syntaur) slider board installed last night. Works like a charm. Thank you EB for pointing me in the right direction :D

EB5AGV
Gear: Too many to list

Post by EB5AGV » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:42 pm

Great news!

Enjoy your 'new' D70 :mrgreen:

Jose
Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 5x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, Genos
...and lots more! :mrgreen:
http://jvgavila.com