Yamaha MX49 MIDI

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Neurology418
Gear: Juno DS61
Virus A rack
Electribe 2 Blue (for sequencing)
Orbit
XR20
MicroFreak
D160 rack mount recorder
HS5 monitors
Band: Quite a few...

Yamaha MX49 MIDI

Post by Neurology418 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:43 am

I recently purchased a Yamaha MX49 on the cheap and I'm wondering if there is anyone that finds the MIDI implementation super annoying? Also, in performance mode, is there away to turn on and off each of the 16 MIDI channels? The manual mentions nothing of this and I can't begin to understand why any synth built within the past 10 years would not have this option. I have both a Virus A and E-Mu Orbit and they both allow channel on/off.

Help of it's the river with this thing!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha MX49 MIDI

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:29 am

The latest Yamaha synths like the Montage and MODX also have "always on" 16-part performance implementation, but they probably do have on/off switches for parts! Keep in mind the MX is not aimed at advanced users with lots of other MIDI gear.

Yes, you can't turn the parts off but you can set the volume of unused parts to to 0. That way there's no sound but I think it still uses voices...maybe not. If you have access to the MX editor program, you can create a silent voice with all elements turned off, that way you get no sound and no voices get used. Just load the silent voice into all unused parts.

Another workaround is to use the MX's USB MIDI interface. This presents 5 MIDI Ports to your DAW, we are only interested in Ports 1 and 3. Port 1 is connected to the MX itself, 16 channels, one for each performance part. Port 3 is used to send MIDI to and from the computer via the MIDI IN and OUT DIN connectors, which can be then be connected to any other MIDI gear you need to connect to the DAW. That is another group of 16 channels, and the MX parts will not respond to any of those channels. See p.20 of the MX Reference Manual to read more about this.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.