ok to clean keyboard contacts with deoxit? (resolved)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
part12studios

ok to clean keyboard contacts with deoxit? (resolved)

Post by part12studios » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:36 am

Hi there,

I have a Kawai K4 keyboard that I've opened up and identified 5 keys in one area that are no responsive. It's clear that something was spilled on it at one point because there is dried residual substance there.. it appears to not be highly corrosive as the stain doesn't show oxidation on anything in the area.. but ultimately they are not responding to key presses.

I only have 50% rubbing alcohol in my house and a can of deoxit (black label).

Would this be ok or should I stick with denatured alcohol (90% or higher, according to my research)..

I just want to clean the area, but don't want to risk harming the material either.

Thanks,
Caleb
Last edited by part12studios on Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

part12studios

Re: ok to clean keyboard contacts with deoxit?

Post by part12studios » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:30 am

Ok so i went with the 91% denatured alcohol. I figure Deoxit might be too aggressive for 1989 contact material.. the operation was a success thought one key seems to still be a little sketchy.. i'm going to have to give it another cleaning tomorrow and let it all sit overnight.. maybe its got a hit of moisture still in there from the alcohol.

Virgule

Re: ok to clean keyboard contacts with deoxit? (resolved)

Post by Virgule » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:26 am

I've heard of Electrosolve contact cleaner but never seen or used it myself.

There might also be different types sold for various applications.

part12studios

Re: ok to clean keyboard contacts with deoxit? (resolved)

Post by part12studios » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:52 am

I found these two links in my research that were useful for servicing the K4:

http://www.drosera.f2s.com/Servicing_K4.htm

http://www.bustedgear.com/repair_Roland ... cts_5.html

the key takeaway here when cleaning contacts is that the material unlike normal printed circuits and solder is that the material if cleaned to abrasive could separate that material from the board. try to use as little as possible when cleaning.