Any suggestions for good 1/8" and 1/4" jack cleaning materials?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
part12studios

Any suggestions for good 1/8" and 1/4" jack cleaning materials?

Post by part12studios » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:31 pm

I have up till now serviced hundreds of ports for patchbays and synths and up till now I've shot a blast in.. taking a 1/4" to RCA adapter and gone in and out.. twisted and this works well enough, but i got to thinking i would really like to take that time to really scrub and a metal plug isn't really going to scrub.. its just going to touch a minimal amount of the surface..

Does anyone have a suggestion of a certain type of say.. pipe cleaner. or some other tool out there? i picture finding something

The way i have done it before has felt fairly wasteful of deoxit.. and being not cheap stuff it would be nice to make it go further.. cleaning several 48 point patch bays can suck up a lot of squirts.. i could imagine it going considerably further if i had something that could do more scrubbing.

I've not come across any kind of tool for this and thought maybe someone out there already has something tried and true.. obviously i want something that won't leave c**p in it.. like using a Q-tip.. pipe cleaner seems good, but i'm not sure i've seen on the larger size.. or where i might find something like that..

Thanks,
Caleb

part12studios

Re: Any suggestions for good 1/8" and 1/4" jack cleaning materials?

Post by part12studios » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:41 pm

actually i found this on ebay just now.. looks interesting. Though I might see about making something at a hardware store and save a few bucks, but yea i still wondered if there was something people out there with experience had an opinion on.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1031445849