Ensoniq EPS - disk not formated issue

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gkmaia

Ensoniq EPS - disk not formated issue

Post by gkmaia » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:47 am

I am trying to bring an old Ensoniq EPS to life.

Initially it was not even starting up. Then found it had 4 of DRAM ICs faulty. Replaced them now it loads the initial software present on the EPROMS and ask for a system disk.

Then I got a newly recorded EPS v2.49 floppy from Ebay. Tried it, drive spun, returned read to start position, then head moved a couple millimetres forward then back, after a few seconds got a "disk not formatted" message.

Opened the drive, it was quite dirty. Cleaned it, greased it. Put it back together. Tried it again. Same... drive spun, returned read to start position, then head moved a couple millimetres forward then back, after a few seconds got a "disk not formatted" message.. Then it keeps repeating this 5sec loop and returning "disk not formatted"

The FDController IC and it's 74 logic counterparts on the main board seem to be working fine receiving and returning apparently clear instructions to and from the processor.

Have anyone experienced this issue and turned out to be the drive at fault?

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Re: Ensoniq EPS - disk not formated issue

Post by blueknob » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:20 pm

I suppose the tricky thing here is, if the floppy drive is faulty or the supplied floppy disk from eBay is not to spec. Difficult to know for sure. I would think a popular suggestion would be, dump the mechanical drive and get a new HxC/Gotek jobbie. Some kind EPS user may even send you a verified OS disc if you ask nicely.

gkmaia

Post by gkmaia » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:12 pm

I did a few more tests and hooked my logic analyser to the buffer that drives the data flow from the drive to the FDC and communication is happening as expected.

If there is no disk in the drive the EPS prints "no disk".
If there is a FAT16 disk the EPS disk prints "disk not EPS type". This means the heads are reading the tracks and retrieving data.
If there i insert the Ebay disk or any of my old system disks the EPs prints "disk not formatted"

So I guess it is more likely the eBay floppy is faulty than the drive.

Dentz

Post by Dentz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:25 am

Hello,

I too am having this issue & am using a genuine ensoniq disk.

Guessing it must be the drive, yet what could be wrong with it?

It sounds & looks good...

How long should it take to load the os?

I do want to get a digi drive, yet can't afford it atm

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:51 am

loading the OS does take a couple minutes.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Dentz wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:25 am
I too am having this issue & am using a genuine ensoniq disk. Guessing it must be the drive, yet what could be wrong with it?
Just because it's a genuine disk doesn't mean it still works, especially if it's been in storage and possibly exposed to mold.

It could also easily be the drive. Try cleaning the floppy drive heads with rubbing alcohol and something non-abrasive like a cotton swab. They do make disk cleaners specific for floppy drives, but it's possible to do manually as the cleaners are nothing more than soft cloth and a solvent in the shape of a diskette.

Get a $15 Gotek and put FlashFloppy on it. Getting replacement disks, drive cleaners, and all that is more effort than just getting the cheapest Gotek possible and flashing it.