So... Korg Wavestate is out of the bag... reactions?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, D-550, S2000, Model D, MODX6;
Out: MOXF6, DeepMind 12
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

So... Korg Wavestate is out of the bag... reactions?

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Honestly, I'm a bit underwhelmed - I still see myself buying it, but doesn't it all seems like it's more of a repackaged KARMA than a Wavesequence 2.0? Of course, I reserve myself a final opinion once I get my hands on it.

Atronixx
Gear: Yamaha: Motif ES-R, AN1X
Korg: MS 2000-R, Radias

Re: So... Korg Wavestate is out of the bag... reactions?

Post by Atronixx » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:26 pm

I listened to many demos...and I find it intuitive, it's one of the new synths that impresses me, enough of the analog stuff, hehe.
I checked Wikipedia, the original came out in 1990, cost: 2000 USD!

It's crazy that they crammed in 6 Gb of waveforms, that's a lot of material to work with. I also like the form factor, it won't take much place and it's only 3 kg, because of that they could press the price to affordable 8oo USD...for endless tweaking and sound textures. It could have been great if they would have reserved 1 Gb for own samples, but it's still very nice, sounds great. I already have the Radias and softsynth and could skip almost all the new synths...except this, sometimes it sounds like an additive synth, the Kawai K5000.

The Hydra is too expensive and the Argon is less intuitive...so it looks like Korg have another a winner, especially if you're into ambient stuff, which I am, lol. :D
Worked with:
Roland D50,JD800,XV3080,V-XT,MKS7
Yamaha FS1R,Motif ES R,CS6R,AN1X,AN200,TG500
Korg Trinity R,TritonR,EX8000,MS2000R,Radias
Novation Supernova 2R
Kawai K5000
DSI Mopho
Clavia NordLead1R
Ensoniq ESQ1,SQ80,MR

Dano

Re: So... Korg Wavestate is out of the bag... reactions?

Post by Dano » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:34 pm

I was surprised when I saw the Wavestate had 2 GB of sample ROM and I hope it leads to new entry-level ROMpler synths having more ROM as well. Suddenly my Yamaha MX 49 and Korg Kross II seem very under-spec'd.