How can I produce this Minimoog special sound effect?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tyco72

How can I produce this Minimoog special sound effect?

Post by Tyco72 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Hello everybody,
I have a basic knowledge about synthesis (ADSR, filters, LFO, etc...) and I would like buy a synth to generate the same sound (like a jet engine) played in the track "Sci-fi Boogie" by the band Rockets, of the year 1978. It starts at 10 seconds here:

but maybe you can distinguish further details at minute:
0:15
0:50
1:49
3:54

I only know for sure that a Minimoog has been used (I could briefly get in contact with the keyboard man of the band, Fabrice Quagliotti), but I can't recognize how this sound is made. He told me only "It is a simple solo with the Minimoog".
Then I have watched a plenty of Minimoog demos in Youtube, but in none of them there is a similar sound.

I can only recognize that the low pass filter was used with modulation.

The questions are:

1) Are 2 or 3 OSC necessary? Maybe only 2?

2) Is distortion used? I think to recognize some distortion, but the Minimoog had only the overdrive control. I don't know whether it is employed or if it is enough. Has a distortion pedal for guitars maybe been used? Which type of distortion?

3) Reverb? It seems to me that there is some additional reverb, but I am not sure. The Minimoog had no reverb.

So as first I would think about to buy a Behringer Poly D, or even an only 2 OSC synth, like the Behringer Neutron if it can make that sound. Or maybe a poly keyboard like the Behringer Deepmind12, if it can also make the same sound.

Many thanks to anybody who can help me to solve this mystery! ...And how many hands were needed on the Minimoog to modulate the sound in this way?

ItsMeOnly

Re: How can I produce this Minimoog special sound effect?

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:04 pm

That may be actually a distorted guitar put through flanger with heavy feedback

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:24 pm

The minimoog part plays at 1:10, the sound that you are talking about is definitely an overdriven guitar sound through a slow flanger.
It is all about sharing...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:06 am

Yup, flanger. It sounds like an old EHX Electric Mistress
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:56 pm

Z wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:06 am
Yup, flanger. It sounds like an old EHX Electric Mistress
MXR 117 Flanger would have been my guess -- sounds too fierce for an Electric Mistress IMO.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Tyco72

Post by Tyco72 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:06 pm

Thank you all for the precious indications! Then do you mean that the source sound comes from a guitar and not from a Minimoog?

Is it possible to produce this sound using a synthesizer, passing through an Electric Mistress or MXR 117 box? (+ overdrive module + stereo processor, if not included all in one, I guess…)

Can you recognize if the sound is composed by 3 notes (a chord?) or only 2? It seems to me, to be a chord. In this case I would need a synth with 3 OSC.

In the Poly D, the output is not routed internally to the mixer, to give the overload effect. You have to patch the output from the headphones into the ext input, but I don't know if it gives the same result.
It has one distortion effect built in, but I don't know of which type.
The Behringer Deepmind has a "Flange&reverb" effect in its list, but I don't know how it sounds.

I discovered this song in 1985 and since then I wonder how this sound was made and modulated. I would never have though that it could come primarily from an electric guitar! I can't even recognize the typical attack sound. It sounds so electronic, complex modulated and rich of shades. Maybe the keyboard man did not got exactly which sound I was asking for, but I told "The sound like a jet plane".

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:42 am

It’s a guitar + effects. Buying an analogue synth is not going to let you make this sound - wrong tool for the job

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Tyco72 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:06 pm
[…] Is it possible to produce this sound using a synthesizer, passing through an Electric Mistress or MXR 117 box? (+ overdrive module + stereo processor, if not included all in one, I guess…) […]
Of course it is, and it does not necessarily have to be a Minimoog.

Finding a fuzzbox or an overdrive pedal that works well with synthesisers is a bit of a gamble, though -- not every stompbox designed for guitar use lends itself to being used with a synthesiser.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

Tyco72

Post by Tyco72 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:16 pm

But what a trauma! For decades I though that there was a mysterious keyboard behind that sound.

If a simple synth is not the best tool, I have to look for a workaround… I could use a keyboard, analog or digital, able to play the sound of an electric guitar, and then adding these effect modules externally.
How can I recognize if an effect module for guitars can work with the signal from a synth? Too bad, that I see that these devices are really expensive! 100-200€ each one!

Eventually I could try first with a software emulator for guitar and connect the effect boxes to the PC, as first test. But I would prefer a hardware solution.
Which type of synth or keyboard would you advice?

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:07 am

A friend of mine used a Boss GT-8 for many years, and if it has to be a synth... there is more choice out there than ever. It should be easy to pick some stuff you like, be it Moog, be it ARP, be it Behringer, be it... whatever.

Stephen

Tyco72

Post by Tyco72 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi, interesting device.
As source I need then a synth which can play the sound of an electric guitar and at least with 3 tones paraphonic, to play a chord.

I never used effects devices for guitars. If I have understood correctly, the sound chain should be composed of:

e-guitar sound generator --> Overdrive module --> Flanger module --> Stereo processor

Would you help me to choose the components to buy? The flanger effect and the overdrive should be the crucial component. Do you think that a multi effect pedal would do the job good, and would provide enough knobs for the modulation in real time?

I guess that the quality of the guitar sound should be not so important, because after that heavy processing, it becomes anyway unrecognizable:) But I think it should be able to play 3 tones at the same time.

You wrote about the MXR 117 Flange. What this the difference with the Electric Mistress? Is the sharp or fierce effect not given primarily by the overdrive module?

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Tyco72 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:22 pm
e-guitar sound generator --> Overdrive module --> Flanger module --> Stereo processor
You're overcomplicating things in the long run: you don't need any "e-guitar sound generator", you just need a nice sound, that you put through overdrive insertion effect to sound like a convincing fuzz guitar - often triangle wave is enough. Then a flanger with strong feedback. h**l, Yamaha Motif (from XS) has a nice Electroharmonix emulations (VCM flanger and phaser). All you need to try is play it more like a guitar.