Downsizing (which synths can I sell?)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
logix

Re: Downsizing (which synths can I sell?)

Post by logix » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:33 am

madtheory wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:00 pm

Yamaha TX16W: There is only one actual emulation of the TX16W, and that's Cyclone, make by the people who developed Typhoon. It's really a nostalgia exercise "because the could".
Ah, I see!

The plugin known as TX16W is nothing like a TX16W, although it can read Yamaha format samples (but not Typhoon format). The TX does kinda nice aliasing, but it's very limited for that effect compared to CMIV.
Oh, I see. Found the links:
So there's Cyclone (from the developers of Typhoon 2000 for the TX-16W, and which is free) and there's TX16Wx from someone else which comes as a free/limited version or a paid version, but not based on or appears like the real thing.
Seems like an easy choice ;)
I've downloaded Cyclone now so I can give it a go when trying out all those DAWs I mentioned earlier. May I ask which DAW you're using?
Yamaha DX7: Your mark 1 will not sound the same as your TX802 if you sysex in the same patches. Mainly with sustained percussive or plucky stuff. There's a wierd unpredictable interaction. They fixed it in the mark 2/ TX802. You can prove it for yourself with these Brian Eno patches:
https://www.factmag.com/2017/05/12/bria ... h-patches/
That's very cool! I want to try it out but for some reason I can't figure out how to download the actual patches. There are no download links or buttons on that page (I've tried 3 different browsers on 2 platforms just to be sure). Either I've missed the obvious or .... do you have to register/log in with them (encyclotronic) to be able to get access?

By the way, I did sysex in the exact same patches (some of the DX-7 original factory presets: e. piano, bass 1 etc.) when comparing the two synths, but maybe they weren't the best sounds for bringing out the differences.
Also, as I said earlier, with some patches there will be a difference due to the envelope bug.
Is that the velocity limit (100 vs 127) of the keyboard you're referring to?
When comparing the two I believe I also used the DX-7 as a master keyboard, so this shouldn't be an issue to determine the differences.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:32 pm

logix wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:33 am
May I ask which DAW you're using?
Pro Tools. Working on changing over to Reaper though. And either Ableton or Bitwig as well. They're all functionally the same, it's really down to taste. If you've a Mac, Logic is awesome. There's a lot in the package. So with Pro Tools, I also have NI Komplete, a couple of IR players, Arturia V Collection, Moddart Pianoteq, SoundToys, AIR Instrument Expansion Pack Complete (that one's a bit of a sleeper, under-rated but excellent IMHO). Whereas Logic has very decent equivalents of almost all of those, included in the bundle.
That's very cool! I want to try it out but for some reason I can't figure out how to download the actual patches.

Strange, I can see it right there. Stupid question, did you scroll down past the image of the magazine?
https://encyclotronic.com/patches/yamah ... tches-r12/
By the way, I did sysex in the exact same patches (some of the DX-7 original factory presets: e. piano, bass 1 etc.) when comparing the two synths, but maybe they weren't the best sounds for bringing out the differences.

Yes they don't exploit the bug. I imagine it took a little while after the DX7 was released before people found it.
Is that the velocity limit (100 vs 127) of the keyboard you're referring to?
No, it's the envelope times. They vary kinda unpredictably. It'll be clear to you when you put the patches in the DX7 versus the TX802.

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:46 pm

madtheory wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:32 pm
Strange, I can see it right there. Stupid question, did you scroll down past the image of the magazine?
I don't see a sysex download link either, in Safari or Chrome. (Also no difference when turning adblockers off.)

Are you signed in? Perhap you have to be signed in to get the link?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:05 pm

Strange. I am not signed in, and I've an adblocker in Chrome. I see this:

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:44 pm

In Roland land: Dump the D-110, JX-8P, and MKS-50.

Unless you're into vintage PC gaming and want MT-32 compatibility, the D-110 has little to offer. It's neither a good ROMpler nor a D-50. The big omission (at least from what I remember with my D-5) is PWM.

Unless the JX-8P has working aftertouch, the DX7 will be a better controller even with its velocity limitation.

The MKS-50, unlike your other Roland polys, has PWM. But the Vecoven 4.x upgrade will give your MKS-70 PWM.

Keep the SH-101. No Prophet will replace a Roland, and it's your only IR3109 Roland.

In Yamaha land: Dump the TX81Z. It's actually somewhat cleaner than other Yamaha 4-op instruments. You'd probably get closer to those old video game sounds with the DX7 using only 4 operators.
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002/Prophet-5 rev. 4
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV
Elektron Analog RYTM

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:29 pm

madtheory wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:05 pm
Strange. I am not signed in, and I've an adblocker in Chrome. I see this:
Edit: Ok, I was clicking on the Encyclotronic link in your text, but you had screenshotted the Factmag link, so I was confused.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 14.27.57.png
Last edited by desmond on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 pm

desmond wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:29 pm
Edit: Ok, I was clicking on the Encyclotronic link in your text, which is the wrong page.

The page you are on is the Factmag link, which does work and has the link. Don't really know why the confusion, but that's what's I was looking at (and presumably the OP too...)
Eh? The Factmag article has the Encyclotronic link. The link the OP was querying was Factmag, so I posted the direct link to Encyclotronic to him. That's where the sysex is. I can see it here. What's going on??

logix

Post by logix » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:49 pm

I'm the OP and utterly confused as well :?
I first clicked on the Factmag link (as posted earlier in this thread).
That page in turn linked to the Encyclotronic page, but alas there's no link to the actual download. Clicking on the (keyboard magazine) image scan only brings up a larger view of it.

Have I misunderstood, and there's no download at all (I just have to enter the patches manually from the scan?). Then the following text (in the "information" section) doesn't make sense: NOTE: There is a new updated Sysex file in Standard VoiceBank format that should work better for most applications.

PS: I had prepared a screenshot, but get told that it's too large when attaching here. What are the file limits?

I just took a look at some other patch download page on that same site, DX-7 analog patches 1 as an example, but I can't find any download link there either.
Either there's a problem with the site or you need to register/log in before being able to download. Has anyone here registered and tried to log in?

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:16 pm

Ok, you screenshotted the Factmag page, which was confusing as I had gone direct to Encyclo. I thought when you re-screenshotted Factmag that *that* was where the link was, but I seen it's just a link to Encyclo.)

In any case, there's no link on Encyclo, the screenshot of what I see there I attached above...

Unless we are all going blind..!

Note the comment on Encyclo at the bottom:
"where can i get the patches i dont see them anywhere on the page here"

Maybe you're looking at an old, cached version in your browser, perhaps?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:19 pm

Oh right, I see. You have to sign in to Encyclotronic, not Factmag. LOL. Sorry for confusing things.

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:09 pm

madtheory wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:19 pm
Oh right, I see. You have to sign in to Encyclotronic, not Factmag. LOL. Sorry for confusing things.
desmond wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:46 pm
madtheory wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:32 pm
I don't see a sysex download link either, in Safari or Chrome. (Also no difference when turning adblockers off.)

Are you signed in? Perhap you have to be signed in to get the link?
Ok, now we're all on the same page! :lol:

logix

Post by logix » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Aha! :D
They (Encylotronic) could have made it a whole lot easier for everybody by informing that you have to register and sign in to download anything from them. Not an obvious thing as most websites with free downloads don't demand a login.
Thanks for clearing it all up!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:12 pm

LOL. I'd be interested to hear what you think of those patches!

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 am

I’d sell every last thing you mentioned in your post and go buy one or two REALLY good pieces.

SH-2 over Sh-101 (owned both)
JX-3P kiwi modded over 8P or mks70 (owned all hate the later JX sound and filter)
OB-6 if you get enough cash from selling it all. Prefer it to the Prophet 6 and rev 2 I owned.

I’ve owned nigh on 100 synths in my time and no point owning VAs these days, so analog and decent analog is the way to go. I’ve had many DX7s of all types, and tx racks inc the 802, sy and tg77, 9 D50s, almost every VA there was, tons of digital basically and the only one digital I kept and loved is the JD800. If you really want to downsize sell the clutter/junk and buy an OB6! 8-)

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Never, ever sell!

Like - ever!

You always regret it!

My two-penny's worth