Yamaha DX-7 - Internal Battery has Bulge - is at 3V

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Arpmuless
Gear: Yamaha DX-7
Fatar Studio 90 Plus
Arturia Keylab 61 Essential

Yamaha DX-7 - Internal Battery has Bulge - is at 3V

Post by Arpmuless » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:16 am

Hello,

My DX-7 has a bulge on its CR2032 battery (where all the data is stored i.e patches)
It displayed 2.9 V to 3.1 V at random, depending on how long the synth is on.

Should I replace this battery? It still has that original soldered battery style, and Definitely cant be the one it came with from the factory. I have had this synth for almost 2 years now and that bulge was not there before.

Any expert advice? (It probably is just obvious to replace the thing and reload the patches via MIDI)

Thanks,
Arpmuless.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Re: Yamaha DX-7 - Internal Battery has Bulge - is at 3V

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am

Arpmuless wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:16 am
My DX-7 has a bulge on its CR2032 battery [...]
It displayed 2.9 V to 3.1 V at random, depending on how long the synth is on.

Should I replace this battery?
Yes, and better today than tomorrow at that.

While replacing the battery, see to it that you add a battery holder for easier battery replacement in the future. Best cut the soldered battery holders mechanically (side cutter) and remove the battery before desoldering the rest of the holders from the pcb. These batteries don't take too well on being heated with a soldering iron ;) - you don't want that.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971