Odyssey Ultravox Vienna patch

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Re: Odyssey Ultravox Vienna patch

Post by Broadwave » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 am

Yes, it'll do the Vienna patch perfectly well.

In the past I've owned 2 original Oddys, a Korg and now the Behringer. I also spent far too many years of my life repairing ARP, Moog and Oberheim synths.

There is nothing wrong with the Behringer at all, it sounds and performs great. You could get into the argument of ethics, but I really don't care.

The Korg version with mini keys (not the desktop or full size version) has a major problem with LFO re-trigger of the envelopes - It'll only trigger the envelopes correcty 50% of the time, it's a hit and miss flaw that just should NOT have passed quality control. There is also a problem with the square waves on both VCOs. The width of the wave changes with the frequency of the VCO, and to "try" and maintain a pure 50% square wave you have to constantly recalibrate the width slider - this does not happen on the original or the Behringer.

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:11 am

Broadwave wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 am
Yes, it'll do the Vienna patch perfectly well.

In the past I've owned 2 original Oddys, a Korg and now the Behringer. I also spent far too many years of my life repairing ARP, Moog and Oberheim synths.

There is nothing wrong with the Behringer at all, it sounds and performs great. You could get into the argument of ethics, but I really don't care.

The Korg version with mini keys (not the desktop or full size version) has a major problem with LFO re-trigger of the envelopes - It'll only trigger the envelopes correcty 50% of the time, it's a hit and miss flaw that just should NOT have passed quality control. There is also a problem with the square waves on both VCOs. The width of the wave changes with the frequency of the VCO, and to "try" and maintain a pure 50% square wave you have to constantly recalibrate the width slider - this does not happen on the original or the Behringer.
Thanks for your advice!

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sat May 02, 2020 4:59 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:53 pm
AnalogKid wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:24 pm
I have a Korg MS-20 mini. I like it a lot for its sounds and what it can do, but the build quality is not good. The keyboard is a joke. The Korg Odyssey has the exact same keys. The size of the keys and the quality remind me of one of these:

Melodica
I'm quite impressed you can say that without having played one. The build quality is fine. I know this, as I'm sitting right in front of my Korg Odyssey right now.
I personally like what Behringer is doing.
Like threatening to sue Dave Smith Instruments?

Or personally targetting journalists who were critical of the company?
As for supporting Behringer vs. Korg, that's a matter of opinion.
This bit we can agree on. Me, I'm not prepared to give money to a company that allegedly appears to be behaving in a bullying, predatory manner. I'm simply not cool with that.

Anyway, as you were...
As you quoted me, I was referring to the keyboard on the Korg MS-20 mini, which I do have. These are the EXACT SAME cheapo keys that are used on the Korg ARP Odyssey. I wasn't using hyperbole when I wrote that these keys remind me of the keys on a Melodica.

I have a friend who owns a Behringer Odyssey. It is built like a tank. When comparing my personal experience with the Behringer Odyssey with what I have seen and read about the Korg Odyssey (including Nick Batt's in-depth review of the Korg Odyssey), I think it's safe to say that the Behringer version has superior build quality. The Behringer Odyssey certainly has a much better keyboard, and it's full-size.

Regarding the Korg Odyssey build quality, you wrote, "The build quality is fine." All one can say about the Korg Odyssey build quality is that it, "... is fine." It's not great. It's fine. I would say that the Behringer Odyssey build quality is very good to great, certainly better than fine.

As for Behringer being a company, "...that allegedly appears to be behaving in a bullying, predatory manner," that is a matter of opinion and perspective. If you watch the 30th anniversary Behringer celebration clip, Uli Behringer talks at the end of the clip about making gear available to musicians who might not otherwise be able to afford it so that these musicians can, "...fulfill their musical dreams." How many of us who have a Behringer Model D can afford a $5,000 Minimoog on eBay? Is Octave Plateau still making the Cat? How many bedroom musicians can afford a $2,000 decades old Cat on Reverb? You can question Uli Behringer's sincerity (I don't) when he says these comments about helping musicians to fulfill their musical dreams, but when his company is accused of being immoral and is the subject of written abuse online when he believes that he is helping many in the music community, he understandably gets defensive. This isn't unique to the Behringer company. Many companies music related and otherwise fight to keep their reputation intact. Also, the Behringer company isn't just Uli Behringer. There are numerous other employees, some you see in their YouTube clips, who make their living and support their family via the sale of Behringer products.

Also, you act like threatening to or actually suing others including the "little guy" doesn't happen with other music companies. Here's an article about the maker of your Odyssey bullying and suing "the little guy":

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/korg-sues ... ks.475852/

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun May 03, 2020 12:39 am

Luckily my apathy's kicked in, otherwise I'd be here arguing every petty, tedious point in an equally tedious, pointless manner.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sun May 03, 2020 8:55 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:39 am
Luckily my apathy's kicked in, otherwise I'd be here arguing every petty, tedious point in an equally tedious, pointless manner.
No need to be so hard on yourself. Don't feel as if you need to reargue your points. I doubt if anyone here saw your points as petty or tedious, just a difference of opinion.

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Tue May 19, 2020 6:34 pm

AnalogKid wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:29 pm
In my opinion, getting the Behringer version of the Odyssey over the Korg version is a no-brainer. Behringer absolutely nailed the Odyssey sound. The Behringer version has better build quality and more features than the Korg (and the orginal ARP) version, and it costs less. And the Behringer version is full-size.

Yeah, I also like Billy Currie’s work with the ARP Odyssey. His sound often makes use of the Odyssey’s oscillator sync capability.

One of my favorite Billy Currie Odyssey solos is at 4:36 in this song:

With a bit of reverb, the Odyssey can be made to “sing.” I like how Billy Currie made his Odyssey sound when it comes in at 0:13 in this clip:

This old patch sheet from ARP for the "Billy Currie hard lead sound" is buried in the Ultravox website forum. It should be a good starting point for you for the Odyssey sound he used in the song Vienna. All you would need to do to get close is to close down the filter some and perhaps lengthen the release time a bit. Since the Odyssey is not able to store patches, Billy Currie couldn't stray too far from his "hard lead sound" when programming his Odyssey on stage. Click on this to enlarge it:

Odyssey-Billy_Currie-Hard_Lead_zps7x045aav.jpg
Thanks for the patch, Western Promise is really good! Right up there with 'We stand Alone', which was done on Oberheim and struggling to find the preset on Gforce trial software.
This is the thing, you got your hardware Odysseys, then the software ones that already have Ultravox sounds on it. Hardware, finding patches is more of an achievement if a person enjoys challenges.
I already enjoy fiddling with my Roland Boutiques so think I'll enjoy an Odyssey, think I'm more swinging to the Behringer because of the effects.