Hardware Odyssey (Korg /Behringer) or software Odyssei? (Korg /Gforce)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
80snostalgia

Hardware Odyssey (Korg /Behringer) or software Odyssei? (Korg /Gforce)

Post by 80snostalgia » Sun May 17, 2020 10:56 am

I'm a newbie to Synths and software and it's hard to know what I want, as an example, the Hardware Odysseys look great the Behringer and Korg, then you get all the software versions, Gforce and Korg. Gforce has instant access to "Ultravox sounds" (which is what I want) But then I have to get a controller keyboard. I'm a one for enjoying recording to my Zoom R8 so I'd have to find a controller that can take inputs from other hardware. I don't do software recording anymore.

Forgive me if I sound confused, but it is a sweet shop out there, and in my case would it be best to get software or hardware Odysseys for what I want to do in 'studio'?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Re: Hardware Odyssey (Korg /Behringer) or software Odyssei? (Korg /Gforce)

Post by Broadwave » Fri May 22, 2020 11:37 am

You really can't go wrong with the Behringer - It's a perfect Oddy Clone and great for those Billy Curry leads - Don't forget that square wave with sync *and* ring mod is the starting point for that classic solo sound, along with a touch of analogue flanging.

The Korg Mini version has a few problems - Pulse Width on both VCOs narrow with frequency (!!) and there's a major fault with LFO retrigger of the ADSR envelope, as it only retiggers correctly 50% of the time.

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Fri May 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Broadwave wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:37 am
You really can't go wrong with the Behringer - It's a perfect Oddy Clone and great for those Billy Curry leads - Don't forget that square wave with sync *and* ring mod is the starting point for that classic solo sound, along with a touch of analogue flanging.

The Korg Mini version has a few problems - Pulse Width on both VCOs narrow with frequency (!!) and there's a major fault with LFO retrigger of the ADSR envelope, as it only retiggers correctly 50% of the time.
Thanks for your advice, what are the Behringer Odyssey effects like?
I'm looking to try Ultravox's Vienna patch on the Odyssey, which kind of sounds abit like Dr Who tone.
Also I think I want try the Dr Who theme from Baker/Davidson era.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Sat May 30, 2020 9:07 am

80snostalgia wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:06 pm
Thanks for your advice, what are the Behringer Odyssey effects like?
I'm looking to try Ultravox's Vienna patch on the Odyssey, which kind of sounds abit like Dr Who tone.
Also I think I want try the Dr Who theme from Baker/Davidson era.
The onboard FX are useable, but not quite as good as I'd hoped for - I route all my analogue synths through my old Boss SE70 FX unit. Well worth looking out for (the Boss SE50 is a good second choice).

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:51 am

As a former ARP Odyssey owner, I think the LFO retrigger is one of the coolest things about the synth. The Behringer wins since Korg screwed it up by triggering on the wrong edge of the LFO waveform. Consider the sequencer and effects as a free bonus.

If you are recording with hardware, there's no sense in looking at softsynths.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:08 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:51 am
As a former ARP Odyssey owner, I think the LFO retrigger is one of the coolest things about the synth. The Behringer wins since Korg screwed it up by triggering on the wrong edge of the LFO waveform. Consider the sequencer and effects as a free bonus.

If you are recording with hardware, there's no sense in looking at softsynths.
Thanks for your advice!