Getting A Synth To Whistle Like A Human Bean - Advice/Recommendations, Please.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mogodon.man

Getting A Synth To Whistle Like A Human Bean - Advice/Recommendations, Please.

Post by mogodon.man » Fri May 22, 2020 12:57 am

Hello - New here & first post...

What synth/synths would people recommend I explore in my search for finding the best bit of kit for emulating the sound of someone whistling (preferably an adult male)?

It would be a bonus, and double bubble, if the suggested equipment had any other particularly impressive features or tones.

I would prefer hard kit - either rack mounted, or complete with keys - and gear that gets seen on the used/second hand market. I'm interested in looking at a wide price range, and all suggestions would be very gratefully received.

I don't care about MIDI (or it being stacked with features) just as long as it had an audio out of some form.

I currently have a Roland JW-50, Casio HT-3000, Kurzweil K2000r, Korg MS20-mini & MS10-(original 70's), and a Korg Volca Keys & an SQ1 along with a couple of soft synths (that I generally avoid using).

Thanks very much for any help, or pointers, y'all can give me.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Getting A Synth To Whistle Like A Human Bean - Advice/Recommendations, Please.

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Start with all oscillators off and a self-resonating filter with key tracking to 100%, than add portamento/glide to taste. That should sound like a theremin. Then experiment with modulating the filter with an A-D envelope to create a "chiff", so the pitch starts higher and rapidly drops. Also if you can add noise only to the initial attack, either by using an enevelope to control noise level or assigning noise level to the mod wheel, etc. That should get you into the general ballpark, then continue tweaking from there.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: Getting A Synth To Whistle Like A Human Bean - Advice/Recommendations, Please.

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri May 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Beans always make me whistle but the stench usually isn't human...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

mogodon.man

Post by mogodon.man » Wed May 27, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks very much for the advice - I shall try it out.

One thing I'm keen to emulate is the 'breath sound' I was thinking that maybe I could take the first few milliseconds from a preset, like flute etc, and joining them together.

Thanks again!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:30 pm

thats what the noise meatball was describing is for.