Where to plug an electric guitar into a KORG MS-10.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
robbiedaug

Where to plug an electric guitar into a KORG MS-10.

Post by robbiedaug » Sun May 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi ,

I bought my MS-10 back in 1982, used it for a few songs, and then shelved it.
It's been through two house fires over the years and it survived both times. It travelled with me to another city in my country and followed me to Europe for two years before coming back to Canada again.

Still looks good, rather new, except for some melting which took place in the first house fire. The top-left side of the unit's plastic is not smooth any more. The front-left and bottom-left plastic also shows some melting, and the (volume) power knob shows that it was melted. With the power knob set at zero, the side of the knob, between 7 and 8 and a half, is melted away.
But it's just that, not very much damage. The last white key (C) is smooth but "bumpy" to the touch as is the B flat and A flat keys. But other than that, it's all good.
I took it apart after the fire and cleaned it all out, and it still works perfectly. I had to scrape the smoke stains off of the white keys with a razor blade. There is still a faint tinge of yellow at the edges of some of the keys that need to be scraped a bit more.

Anyway, why i am writing is to ask if anyone here knows where to plug an electric guitar into an MS-10. I did it years ago back in the 1980s but i pulled the thing from off of the shelf yesterday and i forget where to plug it in to make the MS 10 process the guitar signal. I think i remember plugging it into the VCO CV IN under the volume knob but when i try that, no sound is heard from the guitar. I also tried plugging it into the EXT SIGNAL IN but still no sound from the guitar. I thought i would never forget how to do it - like tieing a shoelace.
I even forget if it needed some additional patching. Years ago, i was able to alter the sound with some of the knobs on the panel. I just forget how to patch the guitar into the MS 10.
The guy in the music store showed this to me. It wasn't mentioned in the user's manual that comes with the unit. It was a "trick" that he knew about.
I am hoping someone here knows how to get it going.

Thank you

robbiedaug

Re: Where to plug an electric guitar into a KORG MS-10.

Post by robbiedaug » Mon May 25, 2020 5:00 am

Ok i plugged the guitar into the EXT SIGNAL IN and used the knob, EXTERNAL SIGNAL, but i only hear the guitar when i press a key on the keyboard - i remember not having to do that.

Is there a way to patch something to deactivate the keyboard so i can just hear the guitar?

Thanks

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon May 25, 2020 11:24 am

robbiedaug wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:45 pm
I also tried plugging it into the EXT SIGNAL IN but still no sound from the guitar.
That should be correct, but perhaps run the guitar signal through a preamp first.
Does the synth work normally otherwise? I'm asking this because playing your guitar through the synth obviously wouln't work if (for instance) the PSU is faulty, but then the synth as such also wouldn't work.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 25, 2020 2:32 pm

The synth is running at +/- 5V levels but an electrical guitar puts out less than +/- 1V, many are closer to 100-200 mV.

You'll see "external input" modules available in many modular systems to allow interfacing microphones, electric guitars, etc. These are nothing but preamps.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.