Roland D-20 Disk Error

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
NickD

Roland D-20 Disk Error

Post by NickD » Mon May 25, 2020 3:35 am

I just bought a D-20 on eBay. The keyboard works great except when I go to format disks. I had an old stack of floppys so I tried every one of them and it kept coming up Error 4 which means a bad disk. These disks have never been used and were in a plastic container and all have write on them. Could it be that all of them were bad, or is there something wrong with the disk drive?

edoox
Gear: Roland D-20, JV-1010
Yamaha TQ5
Akai S2000
MOTU Timepiece AV
Atari Mega STE, Falcon, TT

Re: Roland D-20 Disk Error

Post by edoox » Mon May 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Did you chek the floppy belt ?

On mine the floppy belt was broken (it melt down with age) so the D20 did not want to read any of my floppies, making me thinking that they were all dead.

I found one on ebay for 5.90€ and now the drive works like a charm!

Changing the belt is pretty simple, you just need a Phillips PH1 screwdriver and note the place of each screw.

But be shure to get a magnetic screwdriver, as there are 3 screws on the side of the drive cradle that are very difficult to put back because of the lack of space (about 1cm) between the side of the D20 and the cradle, you cannot get your fingers in it to hold the screw while screwing it.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed May 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Personally I would not use floppies at all. They are not reliable. Instead:
1. Use MIDI SysEx to your computer.
2. Install a Gotek or a Lotharek.

Actually I wouldn't use a D20 either. Go D50 :)

edoox
Gear: Roland D-20, JV-1010
Yamaha TQ5
Akai S2000
MOTU Timepiece AV
Atari Mega STE, Falcon, TT

Post by edoox » Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Gotek cannot be installed in the D20 as it does not use a standard connector (actually there is no connector at all)
A6698DF9-D7E0-49E2-A4F4-1E439A7155C4.jpeg

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri May 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Ah yes. More info here:
https://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtop ... 41aaffae38

If there was demand, Jeff would've supported it by now.

The D20 generates a very small amount of data. MIDI SysEx is the way to go I think.

Can sequencer data be saved to a memory card? After a quick scan of manual, it is not clear on it. There is a modern alternative to the M-256 card. That would be a "computerless" solution.