Pitch wheel adjust

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pancho

Pitch wheel adjust

Post by Pancho » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Hello, I have the behringer D with the Oxigen v2 8 and my problem is that I don't know how to adjust the pitch wheel to a tone up/dow, it's set to a minor sixth since the first day. I would like some recomendations on how to change this. Thanks

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Pitch wheel adjust

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:29 am

It has to be set on the Model D, not your keyboard, and it has to be done using Behringer's free editor or sending specific MIDI messages to the unit. The editor is easier, trust me. Download the editor and you'll locate the setting easily.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:45 pm

Some MIDI controller keyboards will allow you to adjust pitch bend range. I'm using an ancient Korg Poly-800 as a controller for my Model D. The pitch bend slider on the Poly-800 will adjust the bend range from zero to an octave up and down. A few pluses to using the Poly-800 as a controller are that you have 49 keys, joystick control of pitch bend/modulation, sequencer control of either Synth, and the Model D sits perfectly on the flat area to the right side of the Korg.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:45 pm

Are you sure about that, V301H?

Pitch bend is just a MIDI message and the specified functionality is for the receiving device to set the range, not the transmitter.

On a synth (as opposed to a controller) of course the bend range for the internal engine is adjustable but I have never used a synth or MIDI controller where that setting affected the MIDI output. If your Poly 800 bend range adjustment works with the Model D that would be the first one I've heard of.

Even so, Pancho would be better served by downloading the editor to set the D's bend range or reading the manual to see how to use MIDI CC messages to set the range rather than buying a Poly 800 ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:12 pm

I have tried several keyboards as MIDI controllers for the Model D with the Korg being the perfect match. Yes the Poly-800 front panel pitch bend range slider really does work with the Model D.

I tried a Casio PX-5S 88-note velocity keyboard first. The pitch bend wheel bent the Model D a whole step up and down. After a couple of minutes the Model D stopped making sound and I wasn't able to get it working again.

Next I tried a Nord Stage 3 Compact 73-note velocity keyboard. The same thing happened. The Model D stopped making sound and I wasn't able to get it working. The Nord did send pitch bend to the Model D.

I then tried a Jupiter 6 w/Europa. It didn't send pitch bend to the Model D and the keyboard sent MIDI in a higher octave range with no apparent way to change it. I did consult the Europa manual but didn't find a way to adjust this.

Next I tried a Juno 60 w/Minerva and it wasn't a good match either also sending MIDI an octave too high with the Transpose function not affecting the Model D over MIDI. I'm pretty sure the Juno 60 pitch bend worked with the Model D but can't remember whether the range setting worked.

I also tested the Model D with Boss PK5 MIDI Pedals. The Model D is a great match with these. The MIDI Transpose function works with the Model D to set the octave. This combination makes an excellent low-priced alternative to Taurus Pedals.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C