Roland D-50 and MIDI > USB Issues

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Nick Ellis

Roland D-50 and MIDI > USB Issues

Post by Nick Ellis » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi.

I have a D-50 and I'm hoping to connect it to my laptop for home-recording purposes.

I've purchased a MIDI to USB cable and connected the two as per the instructions, but although my DAW (Cakewalk) registers the connection, there seems to be no signal going to or from the synth.

I know it's a very old synth, but if there are D-50 users or experts out there who can help me out, that would be great!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Roland D-50 and MIDI > USB Issues

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:44 pm

If you are expecting audio to be carried across the MIDI connections, that is not the case.

First make sure you have the cabling correct. Your MIDI to USB "cable" is actually a USB MIDI interface with permanently attached cables.

The most common confusion with MIDI is that the MIDI OUT of the interface goes to the MIDI IN of the D-50 and the MIDI IN of the interface goes to MIDI OUT of the D-50.

Check the D-50 user manual to make sure that you have the MIDI ports enabled.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Nick Ellis

Post by Nick Ellis » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:40 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not expecting Audio to be transmitted via the interface, just to be able to use the D-50 as a MIDI keyboard controller at he moment.

I've double checked the connections and they're correct. As far as enabling the MIDI ports is concerned, the Operating Manual doesn't specifically mention any way of doing this.

Confused ...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:55 pm

I'm as confused as you are. I assume you've doublechecked all the MIDI channel settings, which are more complicated than usual on a D50 because there are both global and per-patch settings.

What brand interface are you using? The real cheap off-brand "cable style" interfaces are notorious for not working reliably.

Time to get a MIDI monitor program for your computer to see if MIDI is arriving from the D50.

For Windows MIDI-OX

For Mac Sysex Librarian
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.