Roland GAIA SH-01 Pitch-bend lever question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SciNote

Roland GAIA SH-01 Pitch-bend lever question

Post by SciNote » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:50 am

Hi! I've been visiting this site for years and finally decided to join. I just bought a Roland GAIA SH-01, and I think it's capabilities are awesome for its price. But I have noticed a weird thing about the pitch-bend lever, and I am wondering if anyone else here who has this synth has noticed this issue, or if they could check it out on their synth and let me know if it does the same thing.

What happens is when I first turn the unit on and use the pitch-bend lever for a downward bend, I notice that the entire range of the programmed bend is done in the first 30-40% of the travel of the lever -- moving it the rest of the way has no additional affect. After that first bend, using it again is then normal, where it takes the entire travel of the lever to accomplish a complete bend. It remains normal until the unit is turned off and then back on again, where once again the first bend completes in just about 30-40% of the travel.

So, as an example, let's say I have the bender programmed to do a downward bend of one octave for a particular patch. When I first turn the unit on and select that patch, if I hold a note on the keyboard and slowly use the lever to bend the pitch down, I get the full octave of bending by only moving the lever 30-40% of the way. But if I use the lever again, then it takes the full travel of the lever to bend the pitch down the full octave, as expected. And everything remains normal until the unit is turned off and then back on again.

Anyone else notice this?