Roland MKS 80 solo mode unwanted clicks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cc284

Roland MKS 80 solo mode unwanted clicks

Post by cc284 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:56 am

I am working with my old Roland MKS 80 and have a problem with unwanted clicks when selecting triangle waveform in solo mode. (or square/sawtooth with lowered filter settings) In poly-1 or poly-2 I can easily get rid of the clicks with adjusting the attack/release settings in ENV-2. But as soon as I switch to solo mode and start to play in legato from one key to another, I have unwanted clicks on the attack. Does anybody with a MKS 80 know a workaround for it? I really love the sound of the synth and have just installed a great midi editor plugin for Logic to control and automate all parameters.
Any ideas?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Roland MKS 80 solo mode unwanted clicks

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:17 pm

In legato mode there should be no attack at all on the next note.

Does the 80 have digital EGs? Set a sound up in solo mode with amp EG A=max, D=0, S=max, R=max. With legato off, play a second note while the first is still in release. Does the new note's attack start at 0? Is there a click?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

cc284

Post by cc284 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Thank you for your fast response.
You are right, there is no attack transient in solo mode, when playing legato notes.
I‘m not 100% sure if they used digital EGs.
Not in the studio right now, but the MKS has only solo/unison1/unison2/poly1/poly2 modes.
Solo is the normal mono mode, there is no additional legato on/off switch.
I tried your EG setting before. What’s really strange is that even if I set a very long attack and long release I get those clicks as soon as I press a new key when I play legato notes. If I play non legato with a pause between the new notes I have no clicks. So with your EG setting I get a very long attack swell type of sound but with a short click as soon as I press a new key.
When I switch back to another mode like poly1 or unison I get 0 clicks with the exact same EG setting?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:02 pm

In poly modes, each note is played by a different voice. I'm not sure what happens in solo/mono mode, but if the same voice is used the click could be a result of retriggering the EG. Except when playing legato, there should be no retriggering!

Anyway, I've seen clicks on analog synths caused by fast (0) attacks but also by fast (0) releases.

Try changing the settings of the Envelope Reset switch (see p.19 of the manual) and see what happens.

That's as far as I can go with helping you, good luck!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

cc284

Post by cc284 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:50 am

Thanks again for your help!
Yes, it has to be the ENV reset switch!
I found an answer from someone with a similar problem with a monophonic Moog synth:
“...if it's a single click every few notes, what you are hearing is indeed an analog quirk... namely, the phase of the oscillator waveform is not fixed relative to the volume envelope. The oscillator is running freely with no reset and then when you play a note it triggers the volume envelope which opens up the VCA.
The reason you only get a pop on some notes is that on some notes the envelope happens to hit when the VCO is at the peak or trough of its waveform, and other times the envelope starts right when the VCO waveform is crossing zero.”