Yamaha DX7iiFD with E! upgrade. No sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Drickon

Yamaha DX7iiFD with E! upgrade. No sound

Post by Drickon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:48 am

Hello everyone. I've been a keyboard player for quite a while, but this recently acquired DX7ii is my first real synth. It was given to me for free because the battery was dead and the guy didn't want to mess with it anymore. I tried it first by sending sysex patches to it, which of course would almost immediately become corrupted and wouldn't produce any sounds.

There is a slight hiss in the headphones from its jack, but nothing when putting them in the A/mix or B outputs. The hiss doesn't change whether I turn the volume up or down.

Still the same muted response it had before replacing the battery, the only difference is that the synth now maintains its patches and settings.

Local is ON.

Midi in and out works fine.

Patches loaded fine.

I did notice there were two things disconnected from the main board and the E! board. A small bundle of 16 or so wires that appear to clip into a certain place on the mainboard that look like they come from the disk drive, but I could be wrong. And a black wire that comes off the E! board that has electrical tape covering the exposed wire, which I just assumed was meant to not go anywhere for whatever reason since it was intentionally ignored. I wasn't sure if the 16?wire bundle was meant to be removed or not, perhaps it was required to install the Grey Matter?

I have looked all over the place for someone with the exact issue as me and I have turned up nothing. Any help, please? Thanks!