Korg Poly 800 Can't load factory reset

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
OakJake

Korg Poly 800 Can't load factory reset

Post by OakJake » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:55 pm

Got it for $20. Would love to do the slayer mod but right now all the sounds are wack. I tried to do the factory reset, but I can't get the screen to say "Tape". I turned everything to enable, plugged in my 1/8", but it won't say "tape"> is it likely just busted? Any ideas with this synth? thanks in advance.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Korg Poly 800 Can't load factory reset

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:20 am

Are you using an actual tape recorder or some other audio device? Try adjusting the volume, too high a level can be as bad as too low in causing the transfer to fail.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Re: Korg Poly 800 Can't load factory reset

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:02 pm

While you're at it, also give it the "FM800" and switchable 12 vs. 24 dB/oct mods. Not much work and worth it.

If anything else fails and your Poly800 doesn't accept tape in, check out the preset sheets and dial the parameters in. It's not that much work and doable if you do that by and by.

Pro version: Add a rotary encoder. Much more comfy than using the buttons.

And yes - I am speaking from experience. My Poly800 (mk 1) has all of the above mentioned modifications. It may not be the most legendary synth in the world, but I still like it :) .
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971