DX7 Outputs question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
BTR

DX7 Outputs question

Post by BTR » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm

I have the DX7 synth and what I'm trying to do is have audio come from the headphone output into headphones and record onto my computer from the rear output at the same time (so I can hear what I'm recording). Whenever I plug something into the rear output nothing comes out of the headphone output, can I fix this somehow? Or is this just how it works? Thank you very much.

SciNote

Re: DX7 Outputs question

Post by SciNote » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:10 am

I used to have a DX7, but haven't had it since the early 1990's, so I don't remember if the headphone and output jacks were affected by each other or not. However, if your goal is simply to hear what you are playing through headphones while you record your playing, then there are easy ways to accomplish that. First of all, if you are recording digitally to a DAW, are you using some kind of analog-to-digital/USB converter? If so, that device may have its own headphones/monitor jack that you can use. Or, you can just hook a Y-splitter to the output of the DX7 and route one of the split lines to your recorder and the other one to the headphones.

BTR

Post by BTR » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:12 pm

Yes I am trying to listen to what I'm recording while I play. I have an analog jack to USB. Jack goes in the DX7 and USB goes into my computer. Only problem whenever I try to listen through my computers headphones is that it's got a bad delay in the sound.

Olaf_Oldschool
Gear: Emu Esi-32, Emu Orbit, Roland MC202, Roland R8, Roland M-DC1, Roland JV-1010, JoMoX XBase09, Akai MPX16

Post by Olaf_Oldschool » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi,

first I'm no DX7 user and can't neither confirm nor deny the behavior that using the output will switch off the headphone jack.
But it seems that it works that way.
What could help is a cheap mixer or audio interface that will allow you to record via USB and let you listen what you are recording without delay.
A Behringer Xenyx Q502USB for example, which should cost less than 60 Euro.
Replace your Line-to-USB cable with that and everything should be fine.

Cheers

Olaf