Six Trak firmware update - why buyng an EPROM?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Post Reply
syevad
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Six Trak firmware update - why buyng an EPROM?

Post by syevad » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:38 am

I got hold of the Version 14 (and also 11) in BIN images formats...
Has anyone got instructions of how to flash these firmware files directly on the existing EPROM? Apparently the only way to upgrade is buying the EPROM...

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6036
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Six Trak firmware update - why buyng an EPROM?

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:31 am

syevad wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:38 am
I got hold of the Version 14 (and also 11) in BIN images formats...
Has anyone got instructions of how to flash these firmware files directly on the existing EPROM? Apparently the only way to upgrade is buying the EPROM...
You can't flash an EPROM more than once. You can reflash an EEPROM.

Just buy the EPROM...don't overthink this.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Rasputin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Six Trak firmware update - why buyng an EPROM?

Post by Rasputin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:07 pm

syevad wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:38 am
I got hold of the Version 14 (and also 11) in BIN images formats...
Has anyone got instructions of how to flash these firmware files directly on the existing EPROM? Apparently the only way to upgrade is buying the EPROM...
That can be done, but you need both an EPROM programmer and an EPROM eraser to do so. But rather than blanking the EPROMs which you already have, it makes more sense to buy new EPROMs and then burn to those, or buy a pre-burned EPROM. If you keep the original EPROMs then you still have chips which you know will work if the process goes wrongly. If you erase the original chips in the hope to reprogram them... what happens if the programming does not succeed?

Answer: Dead Six Trak.

You should see this article by the illustrious Bob Grieb: http://www.tauntek.com/SixTrackBug.htm

Rasputin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Six Trak firmware update - why buyng an EPROM?

Post by Rasputin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:31 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:31 am
You can't flash an EPROM more than once. You can reflash an EEPROM.
Eh... I suppose that's somewhat the gist of it, but it is a bit pedantic and potentially misleading to state it like that in the context of the original post, especially when you also stated you *can* flash an EPROM, but only once.

If you're hanging your argument on the difference between "flash" and "burn" then you've just contradicted yourself by saying both can be flashed, and if you're equating "flash" and "burn" then you're also wrong because you can write an EPROM more than once--you just have to erase it with UV instead of electrically.

Either way, the intended goal can be achieved. The only difference is that you could both erase and program an EEPROM with the same programmer, but the EPROM would also need a $15 UV eraser enclosure (which is a negligible barrier if one is looking into starting to burn their own hardware ROMs).

It would have been better to say that it could be done, but requires specialty equipment. However, I do agree with the sentiment that buying a pre-burned chip is going to be a lot more straightforward, especially for a one-off upgrade.

syevad
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Re: Six Trak firmware update - why buyng an EPROM?

Post by syevad » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:27 pm

Ok...got the message and bought that Eprom.
My first thought was to do a firmware for a quickly upgrade like we do for many other devices (I thought maybe a dump or similar)...instead I have to wait for this Eprom from another country.

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6036
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Six Trak firmware update - why buyng an EPROM?

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:25 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:31 pm
I suppose that's somewhat the gist of it, but it is a bit pedantic and potentially misleading to state it like that in the context of the original post, especially when you also stated you *can* flash an EPROM, but only once.

you're also wrong because you can write an EPROM more than once--you just have to erase it with UV instead of electrically
Geez Louise, I spent 35 years working as an EE for this???? :lol: :lol: Sorry I used the word "flash" because the OP did and I was replying to him.

Yeah, you're correct, an EPROM can be erased by UV light. An EEPROM can be erased electrically. A PROM is programmed once and that's it. God, I haven't used any of those things for over 25 years, can't say I miss them ;)

Anyway for the OP, if he just needs the latest firmware, simpler to buy the chip unless you already have friends with the UV eraser and a burner and a computer.

Good luck syevad, hope you get your SixTrak up and running.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5359
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Six Trak firmware update - why buyng an EPROM?

Post by madtheory » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:32 am

Rasputin wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:31 pm
It would have been better to say that it could be done, but requires specialty equipment. However, I do agree with the sentiment that buying a pre-burned chip is going to be a lot more straightforward, especially for a one-off upgrade.
Agreed.

Post Reply