first time trying.midi

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
edwardonsax

first time trying.midi

Post by edwardonsax » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:40 pm

Can I hook 2 midi keyboards together with no connection to a computer so one controls another? I was wondering if there waa some type of 88 key keyboard I could hook directly to my 61-key by midi so I could play a wider range.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: first time trying.midi

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm

All you need is a MIDI OUT jack on the 88 key instrument and a MIDI IN on the 61 key instrument. They both look like this:

Then you need a MIDI cable that looks like this:

Instruments that have only USB connections and no MIDI jacks will not work, like this:

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Re: first time trying.midi

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:03 pm

In addition to what meatballfulton wrote:

Make sure the sending and receiving units are set to the same MIDI channel, or the receiving one is set to "receive all".
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971