MIDI question.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
markhamil94

MIDI question.

Post by markhamil94 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:09 pm

This may be a little convoluted, but as a broke college student I hope you can forgive me. I have an MPK mini which does MIDI via USB and I want to hook it up to a keyboard-less analog synth. I'm using Ableton Live. I was wondering if I could do this by hooking up the MPK to my computer, sending the output of that MIDI to my audio interface, and connecting the MIDI out of the interface to the synth. Is this possible?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: MIDI question.

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm

Yes.

1. Connect MPK to computer.

2. Create a MIDI track in Live with the MPK's port and MIDI channel selected as input.

3. Route the MIDI output of the track in Live to the port of your audio interface. Use channel 1, simply because all synths default to channel 1. No need to use any other channel until you have more external synths connected over MIDI.

4. Connect MIDI OUT of the interface to MIDI IN of the synthesizer using a MIDI cable.

5. Connect the audio output(s) of the synth to your interface and enable direct monitoring so you can hear it.

5. Record enable the MIDI track and the MPK should then be able to play the synthesizer.

6. To record the synthesizer output into Live, create an audio track in Live with the input set to your audio interface. If the synth is mono, pick only one input channel from the interface. If the synth is stereo, pick two.

Come back if you get stuck.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.