Korg Polysix- Really short clicking Decay on anything <5. Envelope adjustment?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
NeonHorrorshow

Korg Polysix- Really short clicking Decay on anything <5. Envelope adjustment?

Post by NeonHorrorshow » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:03 am

Hey guys, hoping there is someone on here versed enough in the Polysix to offer some advice.

I've been restoring a Polysix, and now that battery and other issues are out of the way, I'm moving on to the fun stuff like tuning adjustment and throwing in the ModyPoly. One thing that has become an obvious problem right out the gate is Decay settings on anything under 5 (With all other parameters in any position).

All I get is almost inaudible clicking at 1, to pitter-patter clicking at 4. By 5 it acts as if I would expect a Decay knob to sound. This happens no matter what I set other parameters to. All I can use is the plugin as a control, and it seems my decay knob is 2-3 steps behind the plugins decay all around the dial. Decay set to anything under 5 is completely unusable in sound design.

What I've checked so far-
  • I am getting -5 +5 volts at the CN05 pin 7 connector when turning the decay knob.
  • I've checked the Service Manual and I'm getting the correct voltage just about everywhere else I've checked, minus one spot-
    • When following the manual for adjusting attack time, CN05-12 is not giving me +0.9V no matter how I adjust the attack knob. 0.001V mostly. Waiting on my oscilloscope to complete the attack time test before I call this a problem. Listing in case it's helpful.
    One confusing thing about the service manual is that is states the procedure for checking the decay time, but offers no way to adjust. I have a new oscilloscope on the way, so I can check out the attack time, as stated in the manual, but I don't even have a point of reference for the decay. Is there an overall envelope adjustment? I know VR12 is a time adjustment per unit, but would that even have any effect here?

My ears aren't sensitive enough to tell if attack/release is also off on the shorter times, but like the decay knob, anything over 5 seems to be working just fine anyways. Or, this could all be normal, and I just look stupid... but I doubt it is.

Edit- I made a short video highlighting the problem-
Last edited by NeonHorrorshow on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Korg Polysix- Really short clicking Decay on anything <5. Envelope adjustment?

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:14 pm

Using the plugin as a control is probably not the best idea. I only have experience with the Mono/Poly (similar architecture) and the envelope on that also had a strange taper.

Someone with another P6 will surely chime in, but I suspect that is just how the envelope works, and in lots of cases having more resolution in the decay area is desirable for basses and snappy sounds.

NeonHorrorshow

Re: Korg Polysix- Really short clicking Decay on anything <5. Envelope adjustment?

Post by NeonHorrorshow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:25 am

Jabberwalky wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:14 pm
Using the plugin as a control is probably not the best idea. I only have experience with the Mono/Poly (similar architecture) and the envelope on that also had a strange taper.

Someone with another P6 will surely chime in, but I suspect that is just how the envelope works, and in lots of cases having more resolution in the decay area is desirable for basses and snappy sounds.
Yeah, I'm extremely aware a plugin version with like 32 voices is nothing like my original Polysix, but when I have literally no other option for comparison it at least gave a point of reference to anyone who has a Polysix. That was until I posted a video of the problem, anyways. Have you watched it? I doubt that is normal.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:49 pm

NeonHorrorshow wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:25 am
Jabberwalky wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:14 pm

Yeah, I'm extremely aware a plugin version with like 32 voices is nothing like my original Polysix, but when I have literally no other option for comparison it at least gave a point of reference to anyone who has a Polysix. That was until I posted a video of the problem, anyways. Have you watched it? I doubt that is normal.
Yes I watched it. Keep in mind if every single voice is doing that, then it's not the trimmers, since there are 6 envelopes. I'd check to see if each voice does it the same way. You could even experiment with different value taper pots.