How much gear did you have in high school?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Motavis

Re: Moose, Rocco, help Motavis find his checkbook!

Post by Motavis » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:10 am

stillearning wrote:
Motavis wrote: I am learning stuff* but certainly keeps me busy.
Sorry, but that name's been copyrighted, so if you'll be so kind as to drop $.05 in the mail, that will keep my lawyer off your back. :wink:
Man am I F*cking slow... that took me a minute to figure it out haha

For a minute I thought you meant my name Motavis hehe. :D

* see prior message for name used
ImageImage

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:13 am

I had a PSR-36. Before high school = Casio SK-1.

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:13 am

I had a Rogue when I was in high school. In fact, it belonged to the school, but I nicked it. :oops:

Synths gained through more reputable means at the time included: Juno60, Poly800, PolySix and OB-8*

*for OB-8, don't read expensive collectors item that must have cost a stack, instead read outdated heap of junk, bought for a pittance because no one wanted them at the time.

It's true though. I bought quite a few (now) valuable synths at a time when they were selling for peanuts and they were all I could afford.
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:21 am

I had turntables, a mixer, a bass, and an MPC2000xl.

nylon
Gear: cheap stuff.
Band: Sleuth

Post by nylon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:58 am

i'm graduating in a couple of weeks and this is what i have (i've bought and sold some other stuff but at the moment i can think of...)
imac
(broken) m audio keystation 49
tascam us 122
korg ea-1 mkii
boss dr110
fender mij jazzmaster
fender mim tele
daneletro 12 string electric
el degas brown electric guitar (sounds like a cross between a les paul and a strat.)
mxr phase 90
(broken) electro harmonix small clone
(broken) digitech rp 50
casio pt 10

last week i sold my takamine classical guitar and a boss os 2 pedal and i'm going to sell my amp, a fender princeton 65 because i want to get a vox ac15.
oscillate wildly.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:00 am

pretty much if I sold my fender and bought a bunch of gear with it you guys would definately be allowed to make fun of me for having too much gear. As it is I guess you can just settle for what some around here do and make fun of me for playing 4 different instruments instead of focusing solely on one like most of the "rock" crowd does.

nylon

Post by nylon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:02 am

MitchK1989 wrote:pretty much if I sold my fender and bought a bunch of gear with it you guys would definately be allowed to make fun of me for having too much gear. As it is I guess you can just settle for what some around here do and make fun of me for playing 4 different instruments instead of focusing solely on one like most of the "rock" crowd does.
who is making fun of you...? if i sold my guitars i'd be able to have quite a few more synths too. what's your fender?
oscillate wildly.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:02 am

MitchK1989 wrote:and make fun of me for playing 4 different instruments instead of focusing solely on one like most of the "rock" crowd does.
Even when I wasn't using electronics...I was trying to play drums, guitar,, singing, and bass... even tried a mandolin at one point. I've never wanted to be a virtuoso...I have just wanted to make complete songs by myself. Getting my first drum machine changed everything though...It made me start rapping as well.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

nylon

Post by nylon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:04 am

JSRockit wrote:
MitchK1989 wrote:and make fun of me for playing 4 different instruments instead of focusing solely on one like most of the "rock" crowd does.
Even when I wasn't using electronics...I was trying to play drums, guitar,, singing, and bass... even tried a mandolin at one point. I've never wanted to be a virtuoso...I have just wanted to make complete songs by myself. Getting my first drum machine changed everything though...It made me start rapping as well.
i'm in the same boat. i want to be able to play a bit on everything, which is why i became interested in synths to begin with, as i started as a guitarist.
oscillate wildly.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:07 am

I started as a bassist, but frankly, picking up guitar, drums, and synth has helped my bass playing immensely. Multi-instrumentalists kick a*s.

nylon

Post by nylon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:09 am

MitchK1989 wrote:I started as a bassist, but frankly, picking up guitar, drums, and synth has helped my bass playing immensely. Multi-instrumentalists kick a*s.
i find learning new instruments improves my ability to play on other instruments. it just changes the way i look at the music and composition. even learning to dance helps with rhythm and drumming.
oscillate wildly.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:11 am

nylon wrote:
MitchK1989 wrote:I started as a bassist, but frankly, picking up guitar, drums, and synth has helped my bass playing immensely. Multi-instrumentalists kick a*s.
i find learning new instruments improves my ability to play on other instruments. it just changes the way i look at the music and composition. even learning to dance helps with rhythm and drumming.
Learning to dance is what changed my bass playing from heavy metal riffing to lovely dance beats. It's what made me not suck at drums too.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:12 am

I'm 18 right now, graduating high school.

My gear consists of

Macbook Running Logic Pro
Access Virus B
Roland Juno 106
Korg MicroKorg
M audio Mobile Pre-USB
Roland AX-7
Roland TD-3S V drums
Shure SM58 Mic
Pearl Export Series Drum kit
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

nylon

Post by nylon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:12 am

MitchK1989 wrote:
nylon wrote:
Learning to dance is what changed my bass playing from heavy metal riffing to lovely dance beats. It's what made me not suck at drums too.
hah me too! i guility enjoy disco.
oscillate wildly.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:13 am

I listen to a lot of dancier stuff... dance punk/indie rock though... I want to do a disco cover with my band though, it would be hilarious/awesome.