How much gear did you have in high school?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:16 am

Nothing. I didn't get into electronic music until the end of the year I graduated (2003). But it took off from there.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

kurtjimi27

Post by kurtjimi27 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:16 pm

Yamaha PSR, roland TR505, casio CZ101, fostex 4 track and a spring reverb and some guitar pedals.
Waldorf Microwave XT, Roland VP-9000, EMU Emax, G5 (Reason, Live, etc.), Power Mac 9600 w/ protools tdm, Zoom H4

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:51 pm

I think I had a Casio CTK of some sort and a Kawai K1, this was around 1991/1992. I also used to borrow the schools MS10 from time to time.

Was about the time I strated using the Atari and a TG100 to do a few tracks as well.

Brings back happy memories, so simple and effective. Now all I do is scream at my PC and pile of kit wishing I had less!!! :lol:
You always want just one more Synth!

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:30 pm

battle of the bands: need i (re)mention...

while lacking the crushing power, boards can be lighter and more maneuverable. the large synths acting as shields.

toonelind

Post by toonelind » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:24 pm

soviet origin electric organ named Junost, which never stayed in tune
bass quitar,
electronic drumpads made in seventies by local synth wizard
and a tape delay, made of an old tape recorder by the same guy

virtualanalog

Post by virtualanalog » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:06 pm

I had an AN1x.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:52 pm

after this thread, i finally realize the age of some of the members.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:54 pm

tallowwaters wrote:after this thread, i finally realize the age of some of the members.
Weird huh?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:13 pm

on the other hand, some of us are in grade 11.

discointellect
Gear: Doepfer A100 / MFB / Analogue Solutions Modular, Sequentix P3, Waldorf uQ KB, Cheetah MS6
Band: Diverse Audio Laboratory

Post by discointellect » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:16 pm

JSRockit wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:after this thread, i finally realize the age of some of the members.
Weird huh?
Yeah, bloody kids with their la-di-da VAs and their Ableton Lives. Now when I were a lad it were all CZ101s around here.

Actually, let me think.. I definitely had a Yamaha CX5 and a Casio CZ230s when I was mid-teens and I used to borrow the schools Yamaha DX27 and Kawai R50 drum machine on a regular basis. After a while I obtained a Casio VZ8m and a Boss DR550 drum machine which were quite nice; by the time I got to University my kit list was 1x Cheetah MK7VA keyboard, 1x Korg DSM1 sampler and a decrepit old computer (IBM PC XT - 8088 processor, 4.77mhz, 10MB Hard drive and CGA graphics) running a shareware sequencer called GFMusic to control it. Needless to say I was more productive with that than I am with much more expensive and extensive collection I have now :)

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Just graduated from highschool...

All I have is a Lappy running FL, Live, or Acid (use to use a tower with dual 1 gig PIII and 256mb of ram.. it barely ran FL when you would really try to kick it up a knotch (it hated string instruments) , and it never liked Acid...) the only problem with this lappy is it has a 40gig HD and i keep having to delete stuff I don't use anymore to make room for more software and for saving my projects and audio files.. (need to invest in a usb HD). I just stopped using FL and switched to Live...

I just got my first real synth, a Red Roland SH-101... before that all I had was my sister crappy casio keyboard which made a cool helicopter or machinegun sound but I thought the rest of the uneditble 200+ sounds were total c**p....

I got an Electribe R mkII a few months ago for my birthday, and I can't do s**t with it yet.... made some cool hip hopish type beats...but not much else...

all I can say is... 2000+ dollars in graduation money is a big help :D ... otherwise I'd still be stuck with FL 4&5 (i hated 5.... i just used 4, with some of the added sounds that came with 5...)
the cheese stands alone

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:36 pm

during the start of what would be my college years ... I picked up a lot of midgrade synths and piles of drum machines.

I eventually sold them to get a MachineDrum and also an OB-8 ... The OB-8 transformed into a MonoMachine about a year later.

For awhile I just rocked the Elektron pieces with my Crumar and a beat up AX-80 that I found for $80.

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:41 pm

I had a Washburn XB-4 bass (i miss it :cry: ) and a Fender Jazz Bass ('64 reissue), BassPOD and a Peavey TNT bass amp.

no synths until just after my freshman year of college.

CBJ
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:56 pm

I had the same guitar that I played on and off for about 4 years through middle school and high school. The guitar, an amp and a stomp-box or two was about it. I was really into punk and hardcore and didn't really think about synths. I did like some industrial in my middle school days when NIN and ministry got really big. I hate to admit this but my second guitar and the one I kept for a long time, was partially inspired by Al Jorgensen. He was playing an Iceman some point in time. I'm not really into heavy industrial and metal anymore but I was nostalgic when Ibanez released the Iceman’s again but this time in all mahogany and with the retro 70's tobacco sunburst.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

westforwishing9

so..

Post by westforwishing9 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:58 am

so... i just took my last finals of my senior year and i graduate this weekend. but my gear....

Korg Triton extrem
Novation A-station
Emu Vintage Pro
Korg Poly 800
Akai s2000
Yamaha Tx7
Yamaha Fb01
Dual 1.25 ghz powermac g4 (with 2 gig of ram, 4 hds, extra usb ports.... Im getting a new laptop for graduation to use Live)
M-audio Sp-5B
Korg Legacy Collection (original and digital)

Tama Rockstar drum kit with Sabian cymbals and a extra racktom and 2 extra snares

Gibson Les Paul faded
Fender Telecoustic
Line 6 POD
Crate Glx 212

Getzen Doc Severinsen 1960's trumpet
Bach Cr310 Cornet
A cello that I don't know the maker at this moment

I think thats it.... With in a week or 2 that will be larger by a few more things cuz of graduation money haha