How much gear did you have in high school?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bgi

Post by bgi » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:52 pm

I had my trusty home-made MicroMoog built from a gutted suitcase organ, scrap circuit board parts, lots of trips to RadioSnack, and a trip to a specialty electronics store to fetch those RCA 3080 op-amps.
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar

totallyfrozen

Post by totallyfrozen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:03 am

shaft9000 wrote: that's pretty disgusting.

babies in africa are born with AIDS and this sperm-with-arms gets all this great free s**t...
HA! HA!
Shaft, you owe me a clean pair of pants! I think I just *@#$! myself laughing! :lol:

BTW, kiddies...if YOU buy all your stuff for yourself, it still doesn't mean s**t if you don't have any bills to pay. If you live with mommy & daddy and don't pay rent, etc. then THEY might as well have bought it FOR you. After all, you only had to make a choice on whether you were going to blow all your play money on a car, a video game system, or some musical equipment. When you're dealing with rent, a car payment, insurance (car & medical), electric bill, etc...THEN you can be proud of how much gear you've amassed.
On the flip side, buy all that s**t WHILE YOU CAN! Once you do get a bunch of bills, you'll be like the rest of us bastards who grew up in the '80s & '90s...you'll be WISHING for more gear than you actually get to buy. And take care of the stuff you DO get...you're going to need it to last awhile.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

TheBeezus

Post by TheBeezus » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:18 am

javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Embarassedhigh school...started with my squier strat & crate amp... then i got some secondhand yamaha & casio toyboards that i ran through digitech multi...finally @ 18 a PK6. had to buy an outboard kawai sequencer for that lol. Another goodwill purchase, the SK1. Recorded everything on 4 track tape. . . wow. this thread made me realize how far i've actually come. But we all still have a long way to go right ?
soundcloud.com/beatemupmusic

totallyfrozen

Post by totallyfrozen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:52 am

crow wrote:When i was in scholl we never had f**k synths. I fact we never had electricity; running water; heating; books or pencils and paper.
We had to do a two day shift cleaning chimneys and arrived for school late and get belted the seven colours of shite out off, coz we were late. Every day. Or two.
Anyway we used slates and charcoal. But I was that f**k poor I never had slate, or charcoal. I had to cut my arm open, dip and old stick in it and write on the wall with me own blood.
That got me f**k battered again for grafitti. Cunts.

We did have triangles; tambourines; big f**k off sticks and we could sing.

Spoilt tae f**k ye all are. After school ye were straight down the f**k mine this time. Another two day shift.

We worked a twelve day week.
had an ootside shitehoose with no paper for yer arse. We used the cat. Or a dead rat.

f**k synths. Jeezo.
Spoilt.
I don't even want to talk to *you*, Crow. As far as laughing 'til I shite...you owe me a clean pair of pants AND a new chair!...I had to burn the one I WAS sitting in. :lol:

totallyfrozen

Post by totallyfrozen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:43 am

JSRockit wrote:
polardark wrote:
JSRockit wrote:If they are using it and it keeps them out of trouble...then it is worth it.
Yea.. better give your kid a guitar to keep 'im away from sex, drugs and rock'n roll... ;)
I meant killing, raping, theft, etc
If your kid is the kind to get caught up in killing, raping, theft, etc then no amount of musical instruments is going to keep them out of it. Someone like that needs professional intervention by a therapist (or jail).

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:56 am

crow wrote:Spoilt tae f**k ye all are. After school ye were straight down the f**k mine this time. Another two day shift.
"Tungsten-carbide drill?"

:P
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:31 am

1997: jp8000

good lord are they cheap now
god elton can't you suck

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:36 am

On the day of my graduation, I had (and still have) an AN1X, an iMac, and money set aside for software as soon as I can make my final decision on what to get.

Mind you, I owned 4 synths at once at the height of it (Z1, SQ-80, Nord Lead 2X, and Alesis Fusion...)

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:54 am

i had absolutely nothing. not even a computer. didn't start getting gear until i was 20.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:57 am

at 17, i owned a Kawai K4, Boss Dr660, Yamaha SPX90, Boss MT-2, Crybaby Wah, Boss Flanger, Squier Stratocaster, Randall mini-stack and an SM58 knock-off Audio Technica mic. i was living at home and working at Toys R Us and Little Caesar's.

i have sold/traded/given away every single bit of gear mentioned except my MT-2 and Audio Technica microphone. now i've got what's in my sig, and a bunch of other stuff too numerous to fit the character limit. i definitely miss my K4, Dr660 and SPX90 (this the most!).

dodino

Post by dodino » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:22 am

Hello everybody! I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina and I'm 18 years old. I've just finished my studies at high school and I really love vintage gear... it's really hard to get old-school stuff like analog synths or effects here in my country; anyway, this is my gear at the moment:

SYNTHS:
- Roland Juno-60 / Mint condition
- Roland JP-8000 / Mint condition
- Roland E-14 / Mint condition
- Moog Micromoog / Near Mint condition
- Clavia Nord Lead 2x / Mint Condition

EFFECTS:

- Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer JAPAN
- Boss DD-3 Digital Delay JAPAN
- Boss MZ-2 Digital Metalizer JAPAN
- Boss BF-2 Flanger JAPAN
- Boss DS-1 Distortion TAIWAN
- Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-10 JAPAN
- Ibanez CS9 Stereo Chorus JAPAN
- MXR Micro amp (vintage!) USA
- MXR Phase 90 USA
- Electro Harmonix "The Silencer" USA
- Marshall "The Guv'nor" ENGLAND
- Vox Wah-Wah- V847 USA
- Voodoo Lab Tremolo USA

GUITARS:

- 1992 Fender Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Stack (bridge)
- Yamaha APX-4A

Thanks! Greetings from Argentina!

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:30 am

Previously owned:
Korg EA-1
Roland MC-505
Alesis Nanosynth
Boss Dr-770

Current:
Novation A-Station
Casio ht-700
Kawai K4
Korg ES-1mkii
Powermac G4 dual (with M-Audio Delta 1010lt)
2 x Stanton t.80
Gemini UMX-5 mixer
Ibanez gsr-200 bass
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp

2 years to go...
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:23 pm

In high school, I had:

Fender Stratocaster electric guitar
Epiphone P-bass copy
Yamaha classical guitar with shadow pick-up
Fender 6-string acoustic with Fishman pick-up
Framus 12-string acoustic/electric
Tama drums w/ Pastie cymbals
Fender Princeton-Chorus amplifier
Ampeg tube bass half-stack
B C Rich electric guitar

Oh yeah - and an Alesis QS6 synthesizer. [Those were the days when I could only dream of owning lots of synths.]
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon