synth and cinema

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
spacek
No Longer Registered

synth and cinema

Post by spacek » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:57 pm

In the real life there's lot of people like us working in there bed room studio try to find "The Sound". Can you name a movie's scene wich you can see a guy doing that? I begin with the only one I know: "Close encounter of the third kind", with an Arp 2500.

music: http://www.soundclick.com/andrevezina

Andante
No Longer Registered

Post by Andante » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:28 pm

In "Close Encounters..." I think that they work out the notes with a Yamaha SY-2 and play them later on with an ARP2500. :)

Not many movies that contain such scenes..too bad. In some movies they do show synths however....like in Tango & Cash (Faltermeyer did the excellent soundtrack!) where an EMS VCS3 is shown in one of the scenes. :D

valdiorn

Post by valdiorn » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:34 pm

No, I've never seen that in a film, but I was watching a TV show last night, there was a scene in a music studio and to my surprise there was a guy fiddling around with an Analogue Systems RS Integrator modular in there :p ... I didn't even know there existed one in the entire country (Iceland)! :D
http://www.myspace.com/notindemand
Life's a b***h, get a f**k helmet!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:46 pm

The movie Fame has a few scenes with ARP2600/minimoog twiddling. He triggers the ARP for some twinkly-winkly sound, then uses 2 keyboards w/ string patch to create an entire orchestra..much to the dismissal of his classical music teacher naturally.

Noone wonders how a 18 year old highschool kid can afford a 2600, minimoog + 2 other analog synths in 1981 at all :)
And in one scene, he magically short circuits the entire classroom when he inserts a patchchord. Trully that must be real magic.

Darran

ermmm...

Post by Darran » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:13 pm

...can't recall exactly, but doesn't He Man and the Masters of the Universe movie feature synths?

Darran
currently using - Roland V-Synth, Jupiter 8, Jupiter 4, JP8000, Yamaha W7, General Music S2 (turbo), Korg Microkorg, Roland XP-50, Akai S3000XL, Alesis Andromeda A6.

most wanted - Crumar performer, Prophet 5

Andante
No Longer Registered

Re: ermmm...

Post by Andante » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:49 pm

Darran wrote:...can't recall exactly, but doesn't He Man and the Masters of the Universe movie feature synths?

Darran
Yes it does, but I don't remember seeing any specific models...maybe somebody has got a better memory?

One thing I do remember is when Courtney Cox boyfriend pics up the "cosmic key" and says: " Oh, this gotta be one of those new japanese synthesizers.." :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Darran

Post by Darran » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:15 pm

thought of another, blindingly obvious

Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Emulator coughing and sneezing.

there must be more....

Did the medieaval babes in Wyld Stallions (Bill and Ted) played keys didn't they?

Darran
currently using - Roland V-Synth, Jupiter 8, Jupiter 4, JP8000, Yamaha W7, General Music S2 (turbo), Korg Microkorg, Roland XP-50, Akai S3000XL, Alesis Andromeda A6.

most wanted - Crumar performer, Prophet 5

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:09 am

Andante wrote:In "Close Encounters..." [...] Yamaha SY-2
ProSolist
Tango & Cash (Faltermeyer did the excellent soundtrack!) where an EMS VCS3 is shown in one of the scenes. :D
and DX-7 too

Masters of the Universe features Chroma, Polaris and Quadra

And jevel in the crown: "Brainstorm" (1983, Natallie Wood, Christopher Walken) features nothing other than
Yamaha GX-1
Yes gentlemen, GX-1 did appear in the feature movie!

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:34 am

Roland CR-78 - "Liquid Sky"
Roland CR-8000 (I think) - "Revenge of the Nerds"
TONTO (The Original New Timbral Orchestra) - "Phantom of the Paradise"
McLeyvier - "Strange Brew"
SCI MAX or MultiTrak (can't recall correctly) - "Down and Out in Beverly Hills"

I'll think of more later...
:)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:47 am

"The Shout" (or was it "The Scream"?) - peculiar British thriller with Oliver Reed, John Hurt and Susannah York (soundtrack mostly by Tony Banks with Mike Rutherford thrown in for good measure). Hurt's character is a struggling composer with all sorts of electronic goodies in his workroom including a fair complement of EMS gear. There are a couple of scenes where he's twiddling and experimenting with the gear to get a particular sound.
ItsMeOnly wrote:And jevel in the crown: "Brainstorm" (1983, Natallie Wood, Christopher Walken) features nothing other than
Yamaha GX-1
Yes gentlemen, GX-1 did appear in the feature movie!
:shock: Remember the film well, but I knew nothing about the GX-1 back then. Will have to try and find it to rent and watch it again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:50 am

The medieval babes in Bill & Ted plays different instruments in the band I think. But Beethoven does a very cool rendition of a classical virtuoso song on an arranger-type keyboard in a music store, where he plays a fat lead sound and the synth plays the comp and rythms. Very typical 80's "synthpop goes classical"-style.

MMMM

Post by MMMM » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:10 am

*Corpus Collosum
by Michael Snow

(A 90 minute digital movie from 2001 fully accompanied by a single synth, the Octave Cat)

HH

Post by HH » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:51 am

Greenwich Mean Time (The GMT)

a pretty "leaving you depressed for a couple of days" movie about a life of a UK band (made-up) which played a mix of jazz and jungle.

there's a waldorf wave in the film's scenes with their shows.

all the best,
HH

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:34 pm

Martians Go Home!: Korg M1, DX7, D-50, DSR-2000

ElGorilla

Post by ElGorilla » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:22 pm

Valdiorn: Hvaða þáttur var þetta? Og hver var að spila?