synth and cinema

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:48 am

The Icelandic Mafia is takin' over!

There is an episode of Big Train where there is a scetch about Keith Emerson's keyboard collection. A lot of nice stuff there, Prophet 5, DX-7 etc. stacked on the back of a camel if I remember correctly :shock:
Monkey business since 2007!

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:57 am

Silly me! It was a donkey:

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:59 am

3rd post aaaall right! Just saying that the Prophet is featured earlier in the sketch. This donkey is apparently only carrying some unknown brand of half-synths for some reason...

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:33 am

oceanbourne wrote:A bit off-topic but I just marvel at how many ppl on this thread and the forum in general are from Nordic countries . . . I am Faroese/Dansk but live in Florida but damn . . . Icelanders, Swedes, Danes and Finns . . . wow . . . we're taking over!
yup :)

(*with a french accent*)
you americans with your filthy cigarettes and p**n music are surrounded :lol:

good one sexy sexor
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:36 pm

Soundwave wrote:Image
This pic I believe is from the original movie (1980) not from the TV-show that went on air in early 1982.

In the show we can see "Bruno" with lots of Yamaha equipment* like the
CS-40M, CS-70M, CS-80, CP-70 electric piano, CP-30 ep etc.

In fact, most of the music Lee Curreri did for the show was actually recorded in his home studio. At the time (1982-83) his keyboard setup comprised of an Oberheim OB-Xa, Emulator I, SCI Pro One, Rhodes & Yamaha CP-70 ep's and a Linn LM-1 drum machine, the latter of which can be seen in some episodes as well.

Lee Curreri working in his home-studio, ca mid '80s. Visible in this shot are the Emulator I, Rhodes ep and OB-Xa.

* Yamaha had donated their gear to the show for promotional purposes.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

ronmcdonald

Post by ronmcdonald » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:45 pm

At the end of Coneheads, one of the characters, i can't remember who, plays something, i can't remember what, on a Korg Poly-800. I can't really remember anything that happens in that film.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: synth and cinema

Post by StepLogik » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:06 am

Not quite cinema, but a TV show with a nice synthy sountrack:

Some nice thick synth stabs in the opening title music. Very 80's style for sure. Corny show, remember watching it as a kid.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Nice indeed. I believe Sylvester Levay did the theme music for this show.

My favorite synth-scores by Levay are "Airwolf" and "Time Bomb", both from 1984.
Why neither of them has ever seen the light on Lp or CD is totally beyond me.

AIRWOLF:

TIME BOMB:

FYI: I've been told by Levay that he mostly used the Oberheim system (OB-8, DSX and DMX) on both
of the above scores.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:59 pm

not a real instrument, but i had to smile at the "tone-wheel" synth in 'Moulin Rouge'..(can't find a picture)

son of Telharmonium?
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re:

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Time to resurrrect this dusty thread i think...
Bitexion wrote:The medieval babes in Bill & Ted plays different instruments in the band I think. But Beethoven does a very cool rendition of a classical virtuoso song on an arranger-type keyboard in a music store, where he plays a fat lead sound and the synth plays the comp and rythms. Very typical 80's "synthpop goes classical"-style.
Indeed the medieval babes play drums & keys - they synth is an ARP Omni or Solina, can't quite tell - and Bethoven does play lots of generic-looking arranger/organy things, but there's one brief close-up of his hands where they've used a Jupiter 8.

Had to get that off my chest having just seen this most excellent film again tonight. :D

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:00 am

I remember a scene from an old french sex comedy film that went more or less like this:
Some guy is doing door-to-door surveys and walks into an apartment where there´s a nerd-type fellow and a young naked woman that´s laying down looking like being submitted to an electrocardiogram, but the electrodes are connected to a huge Moog Modular. The nerd then touches the woman´s nipples and some happy blips come out the Moog. Then he touches her bush and the modular emits pleasant melodies. The interviewer asks if he can try it too. Yeah sure, said the man. The interviewer then starts rubbing the woman´s belly but the Moog makes all sorts of rasping noises. The interviewer looks upset and asks what happenned. The man explains: Le synthetiseur is translating my girlfriend´s emotions into music. What she felt is what you heard. Obviously between you two there is no love.

The movie is called Et la tendresse? Bordel! (Tendress, my Fanny), 1979
http://filmsdefrance.com/FDF_Et_la_tend ... 9_rev.html

Herrare umanum est.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:32 am

:lol:

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Wow I didn't see how old this thread was... so seeing my comments, I thought for a moment that someone had hacked into my account or something :shock:

Anyways, here's a horrible 80's movie called "Edge of 17", featuring a Moog Prodigy in the opening scene. The guy uses it as a place to keep hair-clips or something...

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:28 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned this classic scene from Vice Versa (lot's of synths in the background, the hilarious salesman appears to be playing some PF type of Yamaha). What's with father/son role reversal films and playing instruments (see Big)?

Someone also mentioned a Waldorf in Eyes Wide Shut. Just watched it last night and there's a very prominent Akai MPC, 60 I think.

Not film but an episode of Tales of the Darkside or Amazing Stories (it's foggy in my brain) circa late 80's had , not one, but TWO Roland D50's. The guy was a musician from what I remember in some kind of faustian drama. As he takes the low road the show has him playing that D50 patch "Devil's .......", you know, the one that has that descending wavetable-ish spectral noise. Ewwwww smells like angst.

Great thread.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re:

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:25 pm

mpa1104 wrote:"The Shout" (or was it "The Scream"?) - peculiar British thriller with Oliver Reed, John Hurt and Susannah York (soundtrack mostly by Tony Banks with Mike Rutherford thrown in for good measure). Hurt's character is a struggling composer with all sorts of electronic goodies in his workroom including a fair complement of EMS gear. There are a couple of scenes where he's twiddling and experimenting with the gear to get a particular sound.
Thank you. It´s "The Shout". I watched this movie on tv many years ago and couldn´t remember the original title. I think I recall the synth programming credited to Rupert Hine...
It´s on Youtube. There´s two other scenes I remember: the actor trapping a bee with a glass jar and the mic and processing the buzz withe EMS, and when he tries to replicate the deadly shout with the gear.

The fun starts more or less at 5:00
Herrare umanum est.