Most overpriced synths of all-time?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
i_watch_stars

Most overpriced synths of all-time?

Post by i_watch_stars » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:42 am

The price I am talking about is the ORIGINAL retail price.

Well?

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:50 am

neuron
oasys

however i really like neuron. just not enough to shell out 4.5K when it first came out.

um, probably the full 9600 synclavier system (aprox 250K !!)

i'm sure there's others..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:53 am

The Fairlight CMI cost around 30 grand IIRC.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:24 am

The Roland SH-201 gets my vote, it costs 600 dollars. They should be giving them away with the purchase of a guitar pick. Mainly because only a guitarist with an interest in synthesis is going to take one very seriously. Flame me! :blob6:
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:12 am

They were all expensive back in the early days, but I don't think that they were too expensive. That's what they cost and the manufacturers probably just couldn't make them much cheaper.

It all changed in the mid 80s though. At any point since then, you could go out with 1500-2000 quid in your pocket and buy a fine synth of the day, whether it be a DX7 or D50, through to stuff like the V-synth.

I agree about the Neuron; excellent piece of kit but damned expensive on release. That was probably the ultimate cause of its' demise. Such a shame because it was a stroke of genius.

I've done some session work with the Oasys and it's a high quality instrument and a remarkable piece of work. It's a bit misunderstood really and there has been a good deal of bad-mouthing around the net for whatever reason. I can't help thinking that it could have been built for less money, but I didn't build it and I don't own one, so really, I'm not in much of a position to comment about it's price.
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)

Sealed

Post by Sealed » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:02 am

I tend to feel softsynths a little bit expensive for what they are.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:00 am

Sealed wrote:I tend to feel softsynths a little bit expensive for what they are.
I agree 100%. No soft synth is worth more than $50. I don't care how you use it or how it sounds, it's still just a f**k cd.

joerg721

Post by joerg721 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:11 am

The Roland JX-1 was far too expensive when released.
The Yamaha CS-40M was very pricey when it was available new.
The Neuron was overpriced for sure.
The Radias is overpriced.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:28 am

supermel74 wrote:No soft synth is worth more than $50. I don't care how you use it or how it sounds, it's still just a f**k cd.
No painting is worth more than $50. I don't care if it's a Rembrandt or a van Gogh, it's still just a f**k piece of canvas with paint.

Thanks for conveniently omitting cost of research, development, coding, porting, etc. The fact that you can duplicate it indefinitely doesn't mean it has become valueless.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 am

Yoozer wrote:
supermel74 wrote:No soft synth is worth more than $50. I don't care how you use it or how it sounds, it's still just a f**k cd.
No painting is worth more than $50. I don't care if it's a Rembrandt or a van Gogh, it's still just a f**k piece of canvas with paint.

Thanks for conveniently omitting cost of research, development, coding, porting, etc. The fact that you can duplicate it indefinitely doesn't mean it has become valueless.
And just because something costs a lot of money to make doesn't mean it has any real value. I could spend millions of dollars building a better mousetrap, but it's still just a mousetrap. Furthermore, a "copy" of a Rembrandt on canvas isn't worth s**t. I know, I have Aristotle Contemplating The Bust Of Homer. Image

Sealed

Post by Sealed » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:09 pm

I'm not attacking softsynths. I like my Reaktor 2.3 which came for $50 - definitely worth much more.
Good thing is good, whether soft or hard.

But I often hesitate to go soft. PC gets older soon and you have to pay for every updates, while vintage harwares stand still....

Sorry! I'm getting off-topic.

Thefumigator
Band: thefumigator

Post by Thefumigator » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:48 pm

Sealed wrote: PC gets older soon and you have to pay for every updates, while vintage harwares stand still....
Well, if your fav soft synth runs in today's hardware... it will run in tomorrow's.

As for high priced synth (I don't mean overpriced, but many may think it is... the emulator 2 (like 20 grands?)
watch my first youtube video :D
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:01 pm

Amazing, just 4-5 posts in, we are talking about the cost of paintings and old computers instead of synths :)

I wonder what a Moog Modular system cost back when it was new. Bob Moog just said they were very expensive because he and a few others built everything by hand on every order. And true enough, only big record studios or very rich/sponsored musicians had access to one. On most records they just rented time to spend with the synth in a studio. Or it was sitting in the studio they recorded the album in.
Last edited by Bitexion on Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:39 pm

I think at the SH-101 is overpriced at the moment.

The MS-10 and MS-20 are VERY overpriced too.

AC

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:16 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:I think at the SH-101 is overpriced at the moment.

The MS-10 and MS-20 are VERY overpriced too.

AC
He did state (in caps) the original price. I think the GX1 was quite pricey when it came out.