Most overpriced synths of all-time?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:43 am

im curious to hear users opinions of the hartmann neuron.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:58 am

E-mu Audity.... I think it was like 80,000$ in 1980. guess why it never got to the market :wink:

Anything released after 1990 with the name Roland on.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:18 am

The Korg Trident was also way overpriced...in Europe about 11'000 DM for a quite "simple" synth.

I bought an MS-20 last week-end for 300 Euros, in mint conditions. It was a very good deal... And i sold my MS-10 for 250 Euros. Perhaps a little bit overpriced, but in such good conditions, and with the Korg35 filter, it seems to be right.

atom

Post by atom » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:26 am

tr-909 and tb-303, the prices they reach nowadays are smoewhat out of this solar system.
----------------
http://ctrlr.org
----------------

tom

Post by tom » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:50 am

S.E. Omega 8 (8 voice) with all additional filters costs about 8000$ by my calculation. Really too much whichever way those filters affect the sound!

Oasis is expensive too, but I don't think it's overpriced a lot for what it's offering. Maybe a grand...

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:52 pm

i think an interesting point to bring up is about prices being driven up by dealers .

im sure there must be some synth dealers on this site, as its an interesting job to go into if you have a love and knowledge of synths.

but having recently seen the general price of synths increase rapidly over the last 6 months in japan, im beginning to hate a couple of dealers out here who steal any synth of worth just to resell at a higher price at a later date. (i will retain the names for now)

people who repair and refurbish broken and damaged vintage synths have my utmost respect, as they recover dieing instruments and alow them to be continued to use . . . benifiting music in general (well depending on who buys it, hahaha)

but people who buy nearly ALL synths of worth on certain auction sites, only to resell at hugely inflated prices are just assholes (sorry, technical terminology) . . knowing that thes prices will HAVE to be paid if anyone is to own a synth.

there are very few dealers over here, aside from FIVE-G in tokyo, who have a great selection . if heart stoppingly expensive .
and even if foreign dealers (or ebay sellers) were to ship abroad, the shipping costs are rediculous.

anyway, thats my rant for the day .

Andante
No Longer Registered

Post by Andante » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:33 pm

spookyman wrote:And i sold my MS-10 for 250 Euros. Perhaps a little bit overpriced, but in such good conditions, and with the Korg35 filter, it seems to be right.
A good price. In Sweden they sell for 350 - 450 Euro depending on the condition.

The MS20 and the Minimoog are today the most overpriced synths among S/H analogues IMO.

Slickie

Post by Slickie » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:29 pm

Andante wrote:
spookyman wrote: The MS20 and the Minimoog are today the most overpriced synths among S/H analogues IMO.
yeah but you can get an MS20 for less than a little phatty and have not only a ton more knobs but a patchbay as well. MS20s are expensive but I find that because of thier semi modular ability that they are more worth the money than say an oddesey or some old moog like a source etc....unless you want the moog sound....like everyone else :D

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:35 pm

dear hinotori

i havent been following the market in japan over the last 6 months, but here in the US, ebay has been a major contributing factor to the rising cost of vintage synths.

im a synth dealer, but i dont consider myself an assh-le :) we service almost every synth that leaves here and have repaired and improved a large number of vintage synths over the years, so we provide gear thats actually working as advertised and i do believe we provide a good service. we love the gear we sell and care about our customers.

on the other hand, the TYPICAL vintage synth sold on ebay needs servicing even though the seller doesnt state this. (before anyone gets offended, im not talking about sellers who know enough about synths to be reading this forum). sometimes its due to ignorance but sometimes sellers intentionally hide problems. bidders should realize this, but they still insist on gambling on ebay. put 2 or more of them against each other and the price gets driven way up, even if the actual item needs a lot of work they didnt know about. ( = huge repair bill)

after what ive seen 1st hand and heard about, i always assume any 30 year old synth bought from your average sellers going to need AT LEAST a couple hours of work cleaning and servicing it. the last ebay purchase we serviced cost around $1000 in parts and labor to get it working right (!).

to me, it only makes sense that a reputable (GOOD) dealer who provides a high quality example of the same synth because its been fully tested, serviced, retested, packed professionally, etc by someone who really knows what theyre doing, should get paid significantly more for the same model synth because its usually of much higher quality. i do understand that not all dealers do this - some just buy and instantly resell. :(

i think the major problems here are:

the Ebay religion. ebays convinced every idiot that they can make a million dollars selling ANYTHING - including trash - on ebay. its shocking how many people selling vintage synths there have no idea what theyve got. obviously theyre not going to know how to test them either! i always get a kick out of the "i dont know anything about anything but when i turn this baby on it makes sound so it seems to be 100% working" claim.

todays typical seller (on Ebay!): the typical ebay seller who finds that vintage synth in some dead guys wet, moldy basement - or the older but not yet dead synth player who "preserved" his synth in that same damp basement in its original case for 25 years and hasnt turned it on since - often thinks their old wreck should be worth the same or more than the perfectly working, just serviced example a reputable seller just sold there or put on the web.

todays typical buyer (on Ebay!): the gambler who bids high thinking the untested 30 year old synth theyre bidding on is going to work well when they get it.

im not going to defend other dealers as ive seen several of them engage in really slimy business practices - bidding on their own ebay auctions, bidding on competing auctions to drive their sale price up, selling gear they havent even seen and obviously havent tested, contacting bidders during an active auction to try to steal a sale, etc

but from what ive seen, i would put more blame on ebay and the uneducated sellers and buyers out there for the rising prices than i would on a few dealers.

mini
Last edited by minime123 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:39 pm

An MS-20 sold for 10,000 NOK (that is $1500) in a store near here not long ago. That's just ridiculous.
One would think 25 year old items would be cheap to buy, but in most cases they cost more than brand new synths today.
Vintage synths are so rare on the used market in Norway, people can just ask any price they want. There is no eBay for Norway.

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:08 pm

hi minime123,

yeah, its strange being in japan as there is no ebay here !

but its always interesting to see how prices fluctuate, but as a buyer of broken synths who enjoys servicing and repair myself . and also using to create music, its becomes frustrating that dealers/stores who have capital of some kind to buy many synths in need or repair do so .

sounds like youre doing a great job though, and the work going into getting a synth back in its prime is worth the cost .

after losing many bids over the lst few months, i will bite the bullet with my next purchase and go to five-g .

this shop is worth visiting if anyone ever finds themselves in harajuku in tokyo (the crazy young fashion district) /

the prices they have are high above those of other countries but they seem to be a good company and very helpful .

good dealers kep up the work, bad dealers. . . hmm . . . not much to say there .

but spare the hobbiest repairers some broken bits ;)

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:30 pm

dear hinotori,

youre lucky to be able to repair your own gear. most people cant. i can understand your frustration and wish you luck.
i dont think the lack of ebay in japan should be seen as such a bad thing.

regarding stores having lots of money to pay for gear, i find that most people who spend time complaining about not having money could make a lot more of it if they spent less time complaining and more time working! ;) dealing in vintage synths, from my personal experience, at least, is nowhere near as financially rewarding as many other occupations. no, thats not really a complaint. :)

mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:49 pm

Stores that sell vintage synths usually find synths in ads, and call up the guy, haggles the price down, then sells it in the store for more than the asked price. I've seen the owner of my regular store do that lots of times, we're friends.

He wants to make a profit of the sale too, naturally. The few stores around Oslo that deal vintage synths also have a full range of new Clavia, Roland, Yamaha, Casio, synths to keep it going. Actually (horribly enough) the "c**p" Casios are the best sellers. People buy them as gifts for their kids alot.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:10 pm

stores i know of (i wont mention any names) will tell sellers theyll pay $x over the phone, wait til they break their back bringing the item in and then tell them they can only pay 1/2 their offer because of a tiny scratch or similar. :( it would be reasonable to offer a lower price if its not in the stated condition, but majorly haggling over insignificant stuffs not cool.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

Slickie

Post by Slickie » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:39 pm

Bitexion wrote:An MS-20 sold for 10,000 NOK (that is $1500) in a store near here not long ago. That's just ridiculous.
One would think 25 year old items would be cheap to buy, but in most cases they cost more than brand new synths today.
Vintage synths are so rare on the used market in Norway, people can just ask any price they want. There is no eBay for Norway.

wow that is overpriced. In USA they range about 900 -1000 which is reasonable.