Most overpriced synths of all-time?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:05 pm

Roland's VP9000

The machine was an expensive joke..
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

technomonster

Post by technomonster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:36 pm

Mr Rich wrote:Paid 700 quid for my TI keyboard. Bargain. :)
hey mr rich,

but what about the problems everyone has had with the VIRUS CONTROL and all that on that TI.

have you been able to get yours to work.

if you got it for cheap maybe the previous owner couldnt get it going.

bill H.

Post by bill H. » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:27 pm

Re: Prophet 5 sell price

I was around back then. In Seattle anyway, during the rev2 period (but we had no name for it back then) they were still in short supply, and most paid list or maybe a little more... around $4500. With the rev3 I'm pretty sure there was a list price drop of $500, but I know that by 1980 or so there were enough of them that you could get a pretty good discount... $1000 or more. Most people paid under three grand during this time. It was the fall of 1983... when I picked up my DX7, that the last Prophet 5s were cleared out...for $1800, and they were around for quite awhile. I remember that sticker on the demo well... it was so tempting, but like just about everyone else, I passed. We really knew it all back then. :roll:

My choice for most overpriced mass-produced synth when new...Kurzweil 250. It wasn't the most expensive synth ever made, but it sure cost a lot for what it was. Over ten grand for just a sample playback keyboard, and if you dared even think about doing any sampling yourself you could add another $4000. Or more with all the bells and whistles.

burns46824
No Longer Registered

Post by burns46824 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:37 pm

The OASYS, IMO, is not overpriced.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:47 pm

burns, nice naked eyes pic. :)
re the k250, when it came out, that sample playback technology cost a small fortune. i heard some people still want k250s, does anyone know what they go for now?
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

gs

Post by gs » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:01 pm

bill H. wrote:My choice for most overpriced mass-produced synth when new...Kurzweil 250. It wasn't the most expensive synth ever made, but it sure cost a lot for what it was. Over ten grand for just a sample playback keyboard, and if you dared even think about doing any sampling yourself you could add another $4000. Or more with all the bells and whistles.
There was nothing to compete with it at the time. Plus take into account the sheer build quality (massive and like a tank) and the sound quality of the piano in conjunction with a fully weighted 88-key keybed (not too many of those around at the time), and the price is justified. If you were anybody in the music biz at the time, you had one. I saw a Moraz-Bruford concert in '85 and Patrick was using it. I went backstage after the show to take part in the interview, and he had nothing but prasie for the Kurz.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

burns46824
No Longer Registered

Post by burns46824 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:03 pm

I have to agree with Bill, guys. Early samplers were basically pointless in my opinion...and most of my favorite records from that period (early 80s) did not use them at all.

If you were a rich musician in the early 80s, and you wanted some sax or choir sounds, I don't understand why you wouldn't just use a real sax player or a real choir (whether it be studio or live work). In a lot of cases, the same thing goes for today...especially for horns. Sampling really only worked well with percussive sounds in those early boards.

My pick for an over-priced synthesizer? Minimoog.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:00 pm

hey burns
naked eyes used the fairlight 2x quite a lot. i have a demo they made entirely on their fairlight. the album version was much better!
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:29 am

MitchK1989 wrote:I'd say the Hartmann Neuron... The price and instability seem to have led to the company's demise.
Instability? Can't say I've had a single problem with mine; solid as a rock so it is. How about yours?
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:31 am

Mr Rich wrote:
MitchK1989 wrote:I'd say the Hartmann Neuron... The price and instability seem to have led to the company's demise.
Instability? Can't say I've had a single problem with mine; solid as a rock so it is. How about yours?
Don't have one (unfortunately, they definately raise my curiousity), just heard a lot of horror stories about things not working the way they say on the tin thanks to an unfinished OS. I'm personally hoping they wind up being to complex to be a classic so I can snag one for a grand or so a couple years down the road.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:35 am

CS_TBL wrote:Roland's VP9000

The machine was an expensive joke..
How much was is? I know it was a lot. I picked one up cheap... I f**k love it to death.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:38 am

Mitch,
The Neuron's hardware left room for more features that were to be implemented in future OS updates.Unfortunately that never happened.The company was struggling financially and wound up putting out a new product (the VS) because it brought in much needed cash. The company still folded ,leaving some pissed off customers;rightfully so.
However,I wouldn't call the OS unfinished.It works fine for what it is.
By and by,I haven't had any problems w/ mine either. The surround fx forum has been extremely supportive.
You should preface second hand news w/" I heard that" ... it makes you seem less of a know it all when you're speaking about gear you've never owned...just a thought :)
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:44 am

alright, will do. I didn't mean for it to come as an offense to neuron owners.

I'm sure plenty of the other people are calling a synth they don't own overpriced too, I must admit that I said the neuron partially over dissapointment that I don't have that kind of money to burn... And I'm sure it's the same way at least partially for the Oasys bashers (though I admit with the whole oasys story the current incarnation of it doesn't seem to be as powerful as it had potential for, missing several of the features of the Oasys PCI card and such...)

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:52 am

Mitch,
True enough on others doing it as well. Its the statement of opinion as pseudo fact that gets me,not an opinion itself. Difference between the Neuron is overpriced for what it does vs. the Neuron is overpriced because it has reliabilty issues. As for other examples,I only own the Neuron so my yap remains shut. :roll:
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:36 am

MitchK1989 wrote:though I admit with the whole oasys story the current incarnation of it doesn't seem to be as powerful as it had potential for
How can you admit something seems to be anything if you have never owned one? How about "What I have read SEEMS to suggest"? You can't make an admission about something that hasn't happened to you.

Mitch..for the next 4 months (equal to how long you have been here) try limiting youself to one or two posts a day. If you don't know how to do that, you can start by not joining in on a topic that regards synthesizers you know only through reading about them. And that includes not chiming in to tell everyone that you're thinking of buying __insert synth being discussed here___ when you're going to change your mind within the hour.

You're not stupid or ignorant of synths and synthesis, you just post way too often, usually about something that's nothing more than a fleeting GAS thought or apparently authorative advice about gear you do not have any experience with. As each day passes, more and more people are speaking up to you about this and all you do is give excuses. It's NOT OK. Stop making excuses and rationalizations, just STOP DOING IT. 3200+ posts in 4 months is TOO MANY if you're barely old enough to drive and can count the number of synths you own or have owned on one hand! Leave the advice-giving to the people who have enough experience to give it.

~huppo
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.