Most overpriced synths of all-time?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Analog Kid

Post by Analog Kid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:42 pm

burns46824 wrote:People often say that they could get "so much more" with the $8500 price tag on the 88 key OASYS. That's true, but I believe in biting the proverbial bullet in this case...seeing that the OASYS is everything else one could buy ALL IN ONE BOARD!
Ya, but then again, so is the Fusion. Or Miko-Neko...

I see much more value in a Mac. Much more horsepower, more algos to choose from, higher recording bit depth, bigger screen, more portable, and the controller options are more varied.

But guys, just remember this is just my opinion to a question that is almost sure to engender argument more than debate. No doubt the O is a very capable machine, but obviously it isnt going to be for everyone and certainly im not the only musician to think the price is too high.

I doubt there's any evidence that could convince me otherwise just as I doubt there's much i could say to convince the fans and owners of the machine that it's a ripoff.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:21 pm

The point I made to Mitch was that his opinion is welcome,but making statements that may or may not be true (reliability issues on the neuron) should be prefaced w/ Iheard that...,or I read that...if its not based on personal experience. Since this board is often the place people,myself included, go to get information on equipment it behooves us to moderate ourselves.Otherwise the signal/noise ratio makes it impossible to get good info.
To keep it all on topic I'd nominate the Kurzweil midiboard as being overpriced.Paid nearly $2200 for mine new.Great interface but not that great $$$.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

technomonster

Post by technomonster » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:54 pm

Wiglaf wrote:
Mr Rich wrote:I'm in my 30s
Man, the Mr Rich mythos just got destroyed. I mean, I'm picturing this old 70ish year old guy sitting in his comfy chair surrounded by synths stroking his long white beard (the one that matches his long white hair) and pontificating about all things electronic.

A part of VSE has died for me.
listen herE MR WIGLAF,

there is no way RICK WAKEMAN is in his 30s, so do not believe him here when he says he is in his 30s.

i saw MR RICH WAKEMAN with his long blonde hair surrounded by MOOGS and all that acting like GOD when i was incredibly young in the 70s.

SO I'D SAY MR RICH is really in his 50s.

technomonster

Post by technomonster » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:02 pm

well,

did anyone actually notice how EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

the KORG TRITONS were when they first came out

i'm pretty sure that they were upwards of $5500 in Australia before they went down apreciably.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:06 pm

I always had a sneaking suspicion Mr Rich was Richard Wright of Pink Floyd in real life, but scratch that, then...

Anyway, most overpriced synth... No clue, I've no idea what costed how much when, but from what I've gathered, the PPG Realiser suffers from a problem similar to that of the Neuron, but with a twist - too expensive technology led to a pricetag too big for the market. It's not exactly a case of overpricing, considering the tecnology utilised, but it did turn PPG belly-up almost single-handedly.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

felis

Post by felis » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:21 pm

Did anyone happen to mention the

$200,000

synclavier yet?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synclavier

complete system with 16 track recording -

$400,000

http://home.earthlink.net/~yaking/html/wsnHIST.html

I'm glad those days are gone. :lol:

jngpng

Post by jngpng » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:24 am

Everyone knows that Mr Rich was in Chumbawumba.

magicact

Let's Include Moogs on Ebay

Post by magicact » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:12 am

A Moog Rogue sells for $600.00 to $800.00!!!! Talk about a sellers market.
Meanwhile a Roland Juno 106 sells for $350.00 to $450.00. Which are you going to buy?

nylon
Gear: cheap stuff.
Band: Sleuth

Re: Let's Include Moogs on Ebay

Post by nylon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:30 am

magicact wrote:A Moog Rogue sells for $600.00 to $800.00!!!! Talk about a sellers market.
Meanwhile a Roland Juno 106 sells for $350.00 to $450.00. Which are you going to buy?
the post refers to their original retail prices
oscillate wildly.

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:19 pm

I don't like the term overpriced.It's a free market,if you don't like it,don't buy it.

But with that said, two items comes to mind. :D

The Waldorf Wave. Was'nt that one released with a ridicolous pricetag just to bring money in pay for the cheaper models ? Of course all money is welcome but i read somewhere that they priced really high just because it was special and the people who who could afford it would buy it regardless of cost (well almost). And for the price of one you could buy like ten Microwaves or something! (or five or whatever but lots).

And while the Synclavier was really expensive the extras for it was mindblowingly expensive. I don't remember exactly but
4 Mb of RAM was something like 20-30 thousand $!!! Same for extra outputs. They were priced something like that too.
RAM was expensive in those days but i do remember that was about ten times as much as it costed for other samplers at that time.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:45 pm

Fairlight CMI 3 would rate high on my list. Ridiculous price for what is essentially a computer and a sampler w/a keyboard. But of course, there was nothing like it back in the early 80's. Now we can get the "same" setup on our home computers.

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:25 pm

Bitexion wrote:Fairlight CMI 3 would rate high on my list. Ridiculous price for what is essentially a computer and a sampler w/a keyboard. But of course, there was nothing like it back in the early 80's. Now we can get the "same" setup on our home computers.
At that time it's only competitor was the Synclavier which was about twice the price.
So when it came out it was actually cheap for what it did!!!!!

kulten

Post by kulten » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:41 am

BOSS SYB-3...

:?

very expensive for a simple "3-knobs-no-memory-VA-synth" don't you think...
a way of live : BOSS SYB-3 bass synthesizer

https://www.facebook.com/Kulten/

haj

Post by haj » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:10 am

Yeah you could buy a house for the price of Fairlight CMI in Japan and a Porche for Emulator II back then in early 80s in Japan..
Yamaha GX-1 was also the price of a Porche or like that.
In about 85' I got a Casio's drum machine and I think it is overpriced for what it was. I can't even remember the name of the machine. It had about 10 pads of thin cheap sound - one of them was a useless hand clap (remember, hand clap became an embarrassing sound as well as orchestra hit in mid 80' ;-p). 2 pads were capable of sampling - which was supposed to be a big feature of the machine and Yamaha or whatever didn't have that (not talking about super expensive sampling machine like Emu or Fairlight) - if I ever actually sampled anything tho... capacity was maybe 0.5 sec or so for a pad and I don't think it was even 8 bit.. It had individual outputs rather than only stereo out and that made the machine sorta 'professional' aside from other capability and sounds. And this machine cost about $1000 (in today's value) or with more a few hundred bucks you could buy a then bland new DX-21.. I can't even find it in Casio section in this website.

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:51 am

aXL wrote:I always had a sneaking suspicion Mr Rich was Richard Wright of Pink Floyd in real life, but scratch that, then...

Anyway, most overpriced synth... No clue, I've no idea what costed how much when, but from what I've gathered, the PPG Realiser suffers from a problem similar to that of the Neuron, but with a twist - too expensive technology led to a pricetag too big for the market. It's not exactly a case of overpricing, considering the tecnology utilised, but it did turn PPG belly-up almost single-handedly.
so has the mystery ever been solved?
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100