Synth store in London?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Synth store in London?

Post by hageir » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:04 pm

My girlfriend and a few of my friends are going to london, I might go with them..
I was just wondering which stores you guys recommend?
thanks in advance..

maybe there should be a sticky with locations/addresses of synth stores around the world? a good idea right?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:34 pm

There's these guys, a bit outside central London though.

www.rlmusic.co.uk

They sell fricking Yamaha CS-80's completely refurbished. Click on the round logo on the first popup page and you're there.
Check the "For Sale" part of their website, and drop your pants to the floor, cuz that site is pure synth p**n.
They've had every dream synth imaginable in there for resale after a long restoration process.

Ian S

Post by Ian S » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:42 pm

There are several on Charing Cross Road (Turnkey is probably the best), & Denmark Street (just off Charing Cross Road near the Oxford Street end) is almost entirely muci shops (though most are guitar-related).
Casio PX-320, Odyssey Mk.1, Multiman-S, Andromeda A6, DW-8000, JD-800, Yamaha DX11, AN1x, & SK30, E&MM/Maplin Spectrum, Akai S3000XL, E-Mu Proformance 1, Esi-32, & Classic Keys, Alesis D4, Rickenbacker 4001.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:19 pm

Bitexion wrote:There's these guys, a bit outside central London though.

www.rlmusic.co.uk

They sell fricking Yamaha CS-80's completely refurbished. Click on the round logo on the first popup page and you're there.
Check the "For Sale" part of their website, and drop your pants to the floor, cuz that site is pure synth p**n.
They've had every dream synth imaginable in there for resale after a long restoration process.
this place does seem to have a freakin amazing collection of synths for sale, but considering most of them are huge modulars, and nothing is under 1000 pounds, I wouldn't exactly recommend this to someone flying!
Do you even post on vse bro?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:21 pm

Neh, I would just go there as a pilgrimage. I'm sure they let enthusiasts play on the restored synths.
The restored CS-80's (they've sold quite a few) go for £4500 a piece, I think they are one of very few left in the world that does complete CS80 mods and restoration.

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:40 pm

the only shops that carry actual synths that i know of in central london are:

turnkey (you can play on the synths there, but they are mostly beaten up - the out of tune voyager being a good condition one!) on charing cross road
music stop or something? just before turnkey, but usually stupidly over priced. i did get my waldorf 4 pole from there tho for not too bad.
the one underneath virgin on oxford street.. bit boring but you can play on some stuff.

most of denmark street is guitar based, but you might find some interesting pedals..

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi, just before you get to Turnkey (coming from Tottenham Court tube station), on the same side of the road as Turnkey there is a small shop with lots of pedals in the window. Inside they have some second hand stuff, last time I was there they had a white face odyssey. Turnkey now doesn't have second hand stuff and it's a bit limited, Voyagers, Polyevolver are probably the most interesting.

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:48 pm

chamomileshark wrote:Hi, just before you get to Turnkey (coming from Tottenham Court tube station), on the same side of the road as Turnkey there is a small shop with lots of pedals in the window. Inside they have some second hand stuff, last time I was there they had a white face odyssey. Turnkey now doesn't have second hand stuff and it's a bit limited, Voyagers, Polyevolver are probably the most interesting.
yeah thats the music stop one. thats what its called isnt it? i went in there last week, the oddy was still there at £1000.

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:52 pm

Yeah, it's called Rock Stop - I bought my Wavestation from them, years ago. There used to be another shop further down on the left, after Turnkey, that used to sell tons of cool second hand stuff, but that's gone now.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:26 am

There is a place on King St. in Hammersmith called Electrofix...
It's about 10 mins. walk from the station (towards ravenscourt park)
They have been there forever, and they always seem to have an good selection of not-too-rare vintage stuff....Last time I was there (in june?) they had a korg ms-10 (300 quid?), a juno-106, a 707, a 909, some samplers, a lot of pedals... and a bunch of other intersting things...
Stuff is sort of overpriced, but not as bad as some places, and I imagine you can haggle with them a little bit. Well worth a visit if you plan on actually buying anything while you're there....

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:32 am

Where is RL Music located? I'm not in England so the adress makes no sense to me. I know London has LOTS of suburbs that still connect to the city.
Would like to visit the store sometime.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:37 am

Bitexion wrote:Where is RL Music located? I'm not in England so the adress makes no sense to me. I know London has LOTS of suburbs that still connect to the city.
Would like to visit the store sometime.
They seems to be located in Reading, which would require a good 20 minute train trip outside the city.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:41 am

Pah, that is nothing compared to the amount of synth goodness they have :)
I travelled 2 hours by train to attend a Analog Systems modular workshop in a store a couple weeks ago. Was fun. They used a huge system and let me patch a bit.

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:16 am

Re RL, yes they are in Reading, but I don't think they have a shop as such so contact Richard before going there.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:57 am

oh my! you guys are great! thanks a lot! :)

..but unfortunetly I'm not going, naah just kidding :D hehe

I still think the mods should make a sticky with store locations around the world..

again, you guys are gold, diamonds & silver! thank you!
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..