Favorite synth sounds

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Favorite synth sounds

Post by tunedLow » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:39 am

Someone was asking earlier about that daft punk tune with the distorted 303, Da Funk I think. And I have to say, that I think that sound really stands out. Yeah, now that I hear it I could say it sounds like a 303, but it's also beyond. It sounds like two slick pieces of rubber rubbing together. That is, it manages to not sound like a synth.

I spend alot of time to trying to make sounds that don't sound like synth with my synths. And while I think I can make some cool noises, they still sound like a synth making a funny noise. So when I hear something that goes a step beyond, I have to give it a nod.

You guys have some favorite sounds?

bigbadbarns

Post by bigbadbarns » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:37 am

There's many, but the first to come to mind is the first sound I heard and thought "f**k, synths are cool".

It was in (forgive me!) "here's johnny"- that hardcore techno track from like 1992 or something. There was this awesome sound that kind of went "wooooow" (sine LFO on the pitch I guess) and ground to a halt.

I can't explain it any better than that. BUt I'm still curious as to how it was made.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:38 am

The soundtrack to 'Forbidden Planet'. When I first saw it on TV as a kid, I thought 'what are those sounds, I must make sounds like that or I'm going to explode !'
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:49 am

[moving out]
Last edited by Jexus on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thediscoking

Post by thediscoking » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:17 am

Jexus wrote:One of my favorite sounds in Polish music is this one;
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bbp7r2
I thought this is a guitar run thru overdrive and played in reverse mode, but actually no, I talked with the guy and he said that it's just Jupiter 8 he used to have back in the '80s.
Wow! I really like that. Who is it?

To be in line with the topic.... it's so hard to choose. One that comes to mind is a brilliantly understated lofi sound that plays melody line in "Ghost Mountain" by The Unicorns. It's not a particularly *special* sound, but it makes me happy every time I hear it.

I tend to be into understated synth sounds more than big, massive, way-in-the-front sounds... although the sound in "Da Funk", mentioned earlier, has to be one of the best ever.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:21 am

I have a thing for sounds that's reminiscent of an acoustic sound, but you can't really place it because it's not really a real sound. For instance, the harp-like melody lead on Jan Hammer's "Crockett's Theme" is extremely cool. The thing is, if you listen closely, you hear that it's a DX7-ish bell/harp sound layered with a breathy pad (Memorymoog?) If anyone knows what Hammer used for that sound, let me know.

Otherwise, Bowie's "Ashes To Ashes" is packed with cool sounds, especially the detuned piano.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:35 am

wailing distorted synth all throughout the sammy danger remix of black history month (originally by death from above 1979)

Or any of the sounds in "ballad of a paralysed citizen" by the faint.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:34 pm

Any sound that sounds like a UFO is overhead, generic sawtooth basses, one finger pads, and analog strings.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:58 pm

I like that breathy pad aXL refers to, it came from the Fairlight iirc, used by Jan Hammer quite some times, it's also available as "SynVox" (patch 3-5) in the U20, and ofcourse in all the major important JV/XV's. I use it regulary for my TV work, even tho it's a highly retro sound, somehow it's still practical these days. It sounds equally powerful as a violin ensemble. Have one of those sounds in a mix, and it carries it with ease. I just with I could recreate it with FM or whatever else.. ._. (the FM in the VSTi 'FM Heaven' is quite suitable for synvoxes btw, just use S&H LFO, some unison detune, and unison voices @ 8..16 orso)
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:00 pm

Oh, and I like the VP330 strings! :lol:

[/vangelis_mode]

oh, a side note: Basil Poledouris (Hunt for Red October, Conan, Starship Troupers etc.) died @ 61..
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:08 pm

I really like the vintage CS80 synth brass (Africa by Toto)

Also, the vintage lead sounds that can only come from a Minimoog!!
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

Andante
No Longer Registered

Post by Andante » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:19 pm

Vangelis brasslead has always been one of my favourite sounds. It's really his very own.

I also love Jarres Eminent strings with added Smallstone phaser. Really great moving and organic pads!
CS_TBL wrote: oh, a side note: Basil Poledouris (Hunt for Red October, Conan, Starship Troupers etc.) died @ 61..
How sad. :( I love many of his soundtracks including the ones you mentioned. A great loss! May he rest in peace.

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:26 pm

I hate to be clique but the 303 is still my favorite synth sound. I love it when it's used in non-techno music, like electro/downtempo/funk/reggae.
Irie!

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Too hard to mention one, but here are a few of my all-time favourites (in no particular order) :
=> Elka Synthex : laser harp sound (JM Jarre "Rendez-Vous 2 & 3")
=> MOOG : that typical MOOG bass and lead sounds
=> Yamaha CS-80: brass string (Vangelis "Bladerunner O.S.T.")
=> Roland TB-303 : oldskool acid sound (with or without distortion)
=> Roland JP-8000 : supersaw leads and strings
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:52 pm

Not a music synth sound, but the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic is a sound effect in the Star Wars Espisode 2 (Clone Wars) movie. Presuming created on a synth or synths......

It's the exploding mine sound... dropped by Jango Fett in the asteriod field whilst being chased by Obi Wan Kenobi. All the action music and other sound effects pause to quiet for this sound to blow you away with the amazing visuals. If you've seen the movie, you'll know the sound I mean.