FS1R v K5000R v MW-XT ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
recreator

FS1R v K5000R v MW-XT ?

Post by recreator » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:27 pm

I'm looking for 'something different' to add to my synth setup & have heard MP3s of these 3 synths but can't quite decide. Does anyone have any experience of all 3 that they can give pros/cons?

I know they're all different types of synthesis, but I want to get the most sonically versatile of one of these 3 so I don't have an overlap. I'm doing electronica/soundtrack stuff & using XP80, Juno106, Nord2 & samplers.

thanks.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Re: FS1R v K5000R v MW-XT ?

Post by Zarith » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:28 am

recreator wrote:I'm looking for 'something different' to add to my synth setup & have heard MP3s of these 3 synths but can't quite decide. Does anyone have any experience of all 3 that they can give pros/cons?

I know they're all different types of synthesis, but I want to get the most sonically versatile of one of these 3 so I don't have an overlap. I'm doing electronica/soundtrack stuff & using XP80, Juno106, Nord2 & samplers.

thanks.
I have an FS1R and we had the Waldorf Wave and Microwave XT in our studio. I'm not familiar with the K5000R...

Anyway, I would go for the FSR1. It would be a great addition to your set-up (you'll never be able to create FS1R sounds with the XP80 or the Nord!). I got it when it was released in 1998 and I'm still amazed by it. It's the most versatile "pure" synth I ever had. It can create wonderful pads and sound effects. It's also very powerful for agressive sharp sounds. The user interface is awful, but just by playing with the 8 controllers and changing the effects, you'll have fun for years.

The Waldorf synths are good, but they have a very specific sound. Some like it, others don't. I'm in the second category: I find its sound engine rather nasty and "unpolished".

Cheers,

Eric

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:36 am

Everybody these days has an MWxt, I'd go for the FS1R or K5000W. Probably the FS1R, I like Yamahas.

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:06 am

I do have all three of these and I like them all. You're right to lump them together in the "something different" group; they all offer something a little special. The FS1R remains my favourite synth of the three. It's a bit of an arse to work on, but it's a proper synth that does stuff and sounds great. I like FM though.

I only got the K5000 this year and my initial thoughts are very positive; much better than I expected and as good as any other synth in my rack. Nice quality to the sound too.

The XT can be a bit brutal, which serves a need (my particular need being that I blew my 2.3 to pieces and I could get similar sounds). Piece of piss to use.

So, no duffers IMHO; they're all good. You need to decide what sort of 'different' you want. FM different, Additive different or somewhat different (MWs are rather common items - as mentioned) :wink:
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)

teknosmoker

Post by teknosmoker » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:36 am

I've got an FS1R and a the original Microwave (with the analog filters). I played with a K5000 for a short period of time, but not long enough to give a solid subjective opinion of it.

Sonically, they're quite different. I'd have a really hard time giving either the Microwave or FS1R up.

If forced to choose between the 2, I'd keep the FS1R. I feel it's much more versitile and a deeper synth in general. With that deepness comes complexity though. If you've new to FM, there's going to be a steeper learning curve with it. A software editor is pretty much manditory, as programming from the face of the FS1R is a joke (so is the "manual"). That said, with patience and dedication, you'll get years of new and varied sonics from the beast.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :wink:

-T
TR-909, SH-101, Jupiter-6, Juno 106, ATC-Xi, Microwave 1, FS1R, TX81Z, Odyssey, K2000, Wavestation A/D, E6400 Ultra, MPC 2000XL, Mutator, MF-101, MF-103, Frostwave Resonator, DSP7000, PCM-91, Fireworx, D-Two, DP/4+, MacPro Quad, Logic Pro.

dxl

Post by dxl » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:18 am

fs1r is more versitile ~
http://www.myspace.com/dxlin
Roland XV3080/worldEXP, Yamaha MotifR ES/VL TG33 AN1x, Novation superNOVA Xiosynth25 RemoteSL, Casio CDP100, Korg MS2000R KARMA/moss , MicrowaveXT MicroQ, refex nexus, EWQ/NI, UAD-1/Powercore/Virus

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:21 am

I'd go for the Orange Beast myself!

Everyone who programs it seems to come up with completely different-sounding patches. Its certainly a bit of a chameleon in that regard.

It can be a total sonic monster but, to be fair to the Microwave XT, it is capable of wonderfully delicate, swirling pads and "pure" sounds as well as "brutal" timbres. The onboard mixer is designed to distort when oscillator levels are above about halfway...most all of Waldorf gear is set up that way. Lots of programmers don't seem cognisant of the fact so you'll hear a ton of crunchy sounds and few sweet ones... :(

Also, on the XT, quality level (bit depth) is adjustable as is the ammount of aliasing and number of steps of interpolation in the wavetables...so you can program it to be intentionally "clean".

I've written a little intro to the Microwave XT for the curious:
http://www.carbon111.com/xt_intro.html

BTW - I do rather like the FS1R* as well! ...just nowhere as much as the XT ;)

*the sound, that is. As others have mentioned, programming it is asstastic!
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

felis

Post by felis » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:48 pm

If you want 'something different' and 'sonically versatile', then you're best off setting a goal of getting all 3 of them. I like the K5000, but it's not easy to program.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:10 pm

the mw xt will give you the fastest results. programming the other 2 can be a pain, even with an editor. i love them all, but would probably recommend the XT over the others because of this.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:16 pm

hmm. Im really thinking about some of these right now.
It would nice to have a keyboard that does something different than what the normal synths do.

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:35 pm

+1 for the Microwave XT

Analog Kid

Post by Analog Kid » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:56 pm

all three of course!

if you want a keys version of the FS1r, the SY-99/77 is a AFM monster in it's own right. Less operators, but more waveforms and rcm.

recreator

Post by recreator » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:18 pm

Well thanks for all the replies. I was aiming towards the FS1R beforehand & looks like thats what I'll get. I've seen one for less than the MWxt / K5000R usually go for. I've also used DX/TX synths before so have a basic understanding of FM.

It was a choice between these 3 and I think the FS1R would be the most versatile. It's got to be a rack for space reasons and getting all 3 would reduce my creativity by 2/3rds - I work better with less stuff.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:44 pm

I have to echo Mr Rich and say I love all three units.

Certainly I could not pick as all 3 can produce such a wide spectrum of sounds.

Hard choice indeed.
You always want just one more Synth!

CTB

Post by CTB » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:31 pm

Mr Rich wrote:Piece of piss to use.
Can you help a Yank out? I'm trying to summon up my "British-ese" but as yet have not determined if this is good or bad. :)
CTB