What's the worst synth ever made?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:30 am

I don't think anyone can truly appreciate the level of despair of being in a band for two years with someone who refuses to purchase or play anything other than a Roland XP-10 fed through a shitty p.a.

So that one gets my vote.
Too futurist to live.

differentbydesign

Post by differentbydesign » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:56 pm

teknosmoker wrote:
differentbydesign wrote: You mis understand what i said but i thank you for insulting my programing ability based on nothing!
Uh......No need to get defensive there pal...

I never insinuated that you had poor programming ability. I simply stated that I believe people who fail to get a warm sound out of a JP-6 may not know how to program it well and cited an example of an excellent job that a forum member made demonstrating this point.
Dude sorry it seems it bit back a bit hard there I am used to another forum where every second posting is an attack on someone and you learn to get defensive1

Peace

Ross
UF6, Pro 2K, 6 Tracks, SQR, DX-9, JV-880, JV-1080, MKS-70 , NI FM-7&8,Battery 3,Pro53,Absynth 4 Arturia MOOG Modular,2600V,CS-80 V, Minimoog V, Legacy Collection, RGC Pentagon,VirSyn Tera, Sonar 6.2, , Synth 1, MOTU Microlite, D-70, RX-11,Roland MC-500

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:17 pm

Yamaha SK-10
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

teknosmoker

Post by teknosmoker » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:09 pm

differentbydesign wrote: Dude sorry it seems it bit back a bit hard there I am used to another forum where every second posting is an attack on someone and you learn to get defensive1

Peace

Ross
No worries - it's all good! Sorry if it came across as such. I can understand your apprehension, as know that there are a ton of forums in which members get torn to shreds by trolls and people with ill-intent. I think that for the most part the members of VSE forums are just a bunch of friendly synth nerds looking to chat about our common interests, ask for advice, and help each other out. :)

Shanti,

Alex
TR-909, SH-101, Jupiter-6, Juno 106, ATC-Xi, Microwave 1, FS1R, TX81Z, Odyssey, K2000, Wavestation A/D, E6400 Ultra, MPC 2000XL, Mutator, MF-101, MF-103, Frostwave Resonator, DSP7000, PCM-91, Fireworx, D-Two, DP/4+, MacPro Quad, Logic Pro.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:41 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:Yamaha SK-10
an sk10? not familiar with that one..but, i'll submit the yamaha FB01 as the worst synth ever. its FM. its non programable aside from a few basic parameters, it sounds like the very definition of cheese (in fact, preset 14 in bank 3...if you hold down a C0, it actually pronounces the word "cheese").

of course, i'll never part with it. what else would i turn to to end rehearsals when the band members insist on jamming out blues in E for an extra 45 minutes... an FB01'll stop em everytime!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:50 pm

godmcgarvey wrote:
Pretentious bullshit
try being nicer.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:51 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:[Remember the Juno has that bass boost circuit...
What, you mean the Sub Osc?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:02 am

nathanscribe wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote:[Remember the Juno has that bass boost circuit...
What, you mean the Sub Osc?
No, there is a built in Bass Boost circuit on the circuit board. You cant turn it on or off, its just there.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:15 am

Apparently there is a circuit inside the Juno that boosts the bass a bit probably before the output stage to give a more powerful low-end - as Joey pointed out.

Maybe it's not true but I've heard people refer to it before.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:48 am

Which Juno are we talking about?

BadTeeth

Post by BadTeeth » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:01 am

No, there is a built in Bass Boost circuit on the circuit board. You cant turn it on or off, its just there.
I know that if you set the HPF to zero its boosts the base. ie, its not filtering but rather boosting. Is that what you are talking about?

in fact, preset 14 in bank 3...if you hold down a C0, it actually pronounces the word "cheese"
ROFLMAO

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:48 am

nathanscribe wrote:Which Juno are we talking about?
The 6 at the very least (probably the 60 too although the high-pass filter isn't as smooth in that I hear...just four states?) and what BadTeeth said sounds very accurate actually.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:59 am

I have played the Juno-6 and Juno-60 and they have the same amount of power in the bass sounds. The HPF is not as nice on the 60 though. It has just 4 settings instead of being a proper slider. Apparently its because they ran out of prosessing power.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:22 pm

BadTeeth wrote:
I know that if you set the HPF to zero its boosts the base. ie, its not filtering but rather boosting. Is that what you are talking about?
No offence, but this strikes me as the kind of thing born of rumour and misinterpretation. The Juno HPF is a single-pole, OTA circuit which should not boost anything. At its lowest setting, it should simply not cut frequencies. There's no indication in the circuit otherwise, nor have I ever considered this in 16 years of Juno use.

Of course, I might be wrong, and maybe there's some inherent characteristic of the circuit design at various points that acts to this effect, but from what I can see it's not a designed-in feature of the HPF to boost the low frequencies. I'll remain sceptical until someone can prove the contrary.

In practice, I don't find the 60's stepped HPF much of an issue over the constantly variable one on the 6. It's still useful enough. The improved interfacing more than compensates.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:04 pm

It would only boost bass frequencies if the resonance was put up high...