What's the worst synth ever made?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Shleed wrote:It would only boost bass frequencies if the resonance was put up high...
Yes, but there isn't any on the HPF. Just a cutoff slider.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:46 am

Well now I'm confused: The JU6 that I owned and loved for over 10 years before buying the 60, did not have an HPF slider - we are talking about the slider to the left of the ENV sliders on the JU60 aren't we?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:56 am

My Juno-6 has one as you can see in this picture here.

That is weird...

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:39 am

Damn - IT have recently re-jigged the network here and it looks as though there's a block on the site hosting your pic so I'll check it out when I get home. More on this anomaly later ... :?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bratwurst

Post by bratwurst » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:23 am

T3rtium_Quid wrote:Yet another vote for the Poly-800.
Sorry but the poly-800 was my first synth and I will have to say I love it.. maybe only for the pegs on the ends.. but still has a special place in my heart. poly-800/ex-800 for life! .. but the worst synth in my eyes is .... well none of them.. i love synths.. so there goes my credit.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:29 am

mpa1104 wrote:Well now I'm confused: The JU6 that I owned and loved for over 10 years before buying the 60, did not have an HPF slider - we are talking about the slider to the left of the ENV sliders on the JU60 aren't we?
That'll be the VCA level slider. I like that extra control on the 60, actually - good for adding a bit of overdrive to things when you need it.

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:14 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Apparently there is a circuit inside the Juno that boosts the bass a bit probably before the output stage to give a more powerful low-end - as Joey pointed out.

Maybe it's not true but I've heard people refer to it before.
In the Sound On Sound review of the Roland SH-32 Gordon Reid (whose word regarding synthesis I pretty much take as gospel truth) mentions that there was bass boost built into the Junos. I don't think he mentioned whether that includes the Alpha Junos to but i took it to at least mean the Juno 6, 60, and possibly 106 but I'm not even 100% sure on that.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:38 pm

I've owned Juno-60 and 106, and currently own an alpha juno 2. I'm in agreement with Gordon Reid. HPF slider set to zero enables bass boost on Junos.

- CM

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:43 pm

Dano wrote:Sound On Sound review of the Roland SH-32
Just read it... interesting. First time I've ever seen it mentioned. He doesn't say anything specific though, which is a shame, as I'm intrigued by this. A quick google doesn't bring up anything worthwhile. I'll have to go back to those schematics and have a good pore.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:48 pm

Well, I checked the 106 manual, which comments on the HPF slider:

"at it's lowest position "0", lower frequencies are boosted"

Alpha Juno-2 manual offers identical information. I'm not sure about the Juno-60, but I'm betting it's the same configuration.

- CM

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:01 pm

Carey M wrote:Well, I checked the 106 manual, which comments on the HPF slider:

"at it's lowest position "0", lower frequencies are boosted"

Alpha Juno-2 manual offers identical information. I'm not sure about the Juno-60, but I'm betting it's the same configuration.

- CM
Me too! Just read both, and the 6 manual too. This feature is only mentioned in the manual for the 106. Neither the 6 or 60 share it - their manuals say that at the lowest setting, the sound is passed as normal. I have to say, having used a 6 and 60 together, they sound no different in that respect, so I expect this feature was introduced in the 106, which I've never compared directly. I'd have to compare the circuits to check this. Which I'll do tomorrow, 'cause I'm a stickler for c**p like this.

:D

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Maybe the 6/60 didn't need the bass boost, but the Juno-106 did just to compete. Especially when the aforementioned are both proper hardcore vintage? ;)
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

mpa1104

Post by mpa1104 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:56 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
mpa1104 wrote:Well now I'm confused: The JU6 that I owned and loved for over 10 years before buying the 60, did not have an HPF slider - we are talking about the slider to the left of the ENV sliders on the JU60 aren't we?
That'll be the VCA level slider. I like that extra control on the 60, actually - good for adding a bit of overdrive to things when you need it.
Aye, indeed that's the one. I checked as soon as I got home. One would have thought by now that after 2.5 years of contributing to this forum, I would have learned not to post whilst relying on a senior memory coupled with extreme fatigue, but there's just no telling some people ... :roll: :D

tommytron

Post by tommytron » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:33 am

gubon wrote:
gordwiebe wrote:Out of everything I've owned I'd have to say I disliked the poly 800 the most. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It would just sit there in the corner mocking me - promising to sound like c**p/itself if I were to ever turn it on again. I never really understood how it only had a square wave, and the square when "stacked" or something made a quasi saw wave - but I always understood I hated its sound. I think the filter was ok though...
With the Moog Slayer mod, the Poly-800 can sound like a dream!

I agree...
I have a Poly 800 with the Moog Slayer and it's way more versatile and creative with it.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:38 am

OK, so I have checked the schematics of the Juno 106, and it has a different HPF structure. So the bass boost appears on this, but not the 6 or 60. Interesting.