What's the worst synth ever made?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:48 am

nathanscribe wrote:OK, so I have checked the schematics of the Juno 106, and it has a different HPF structure. So the bass boost appears on this, but not the 6 or 60. Interesting.
I always found the bass boost made the 106 sound a lot better in isolation, but made it very hard to fit it in with other instruments, so usually turned it off.
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:51 pm

Juno 106 has to be my least favorite... It's just a bit muddy and the square wave isn't as exciting as the 6/60.

Does better strings .. but the JX's destroy it.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Well, I was warned about it but the price ($150) was too good to pass up so I bought a Red Sound EleVAta. The thing locked up very 5 minutes and had a very weak, thin sound.

I sold it to some guy who already had 2. I didn't bother to ask him if his locked up too, I just took the cash, locked the door to my house, turned off all the lights and disconnected my phone just in case he changed his mind.

No wonder RS went under.

Too bad, because on paper it should have been a very cool synth.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

gs

Post by gs » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:52 pm

The ironic thing about these kind of threads that make me laugh....

most overrated synth
worst synth
etc. etc.

.... is that they end up calling attention to the synths we are supposed to be "chastising". In other words, a really POOR synth gets mentioned more here at VSE for no other reason than because it sits on one side of the extremes (the extreme here being, namely, POOR).

Isn't this how the TB-303 got turned into a goldmine from a piece of sh**?
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:59 pm

I don't for a second think any synth is poor as such - just some suit me more than others. I'm sure many probably feel the same way really.

The Juno is a great synth and I probably would have trouble letting it go to be honest, but I just find other synths more interesting in comparison.

It is fantastic for 80s electro style arps though - no doubt about that!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:42 pm

So it looks like this thread is back- and thriving too...
soundcloud.com/vectron

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:24 am

The Juno-106 is nice ......

the Roland mc-303 is a turd

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:26 am

I'm not a DX7 fan but dang if Brian Eno can't coax some hot sounds out of that bugger going on almost 25 years now. It's been said ,"don't fault the tool..."
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:22 am

hmmm so the alpha juno 1 and 2 have that nice roland dco sound...but apparently...no velocity on the keyboard?? thats a bit fecking cheap right..not to include 69 variable contacts for some vel response...so yeah...because of that they get my vote...even though i imagine you can midi them up...x

sacredcow

Re: ....

Post by sacredcow » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:05 am

elmosexwhistle wrote:hmmm so the alpha juno 1 and 2 have that nice roland dco sound...but apparently...no velocity on the keyboard?? thats a bit fecking cheap right..not to include 69 variable contacts for some vel response...so yeah...because of that they get my vote...even though i imagine you can midi them up...x
2 does.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:33 am

gs wrote: Isn't this how the TB-303 got turned into a goldmine from a piece of sh**?
Too right; the 303 is pants.

Now if only I could pick on up for as cheap as Phuture got his...

:twisted:
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:04 pm

I can't believe we're on page 14 and no one has mentioned the Evolution EVS-1.It has to be one of the worst synts ever.Poor sound quality,poor build quality and horrific interface.
The only thing I can think of in it's favour is that it was one of the first synths to come with a software editor.

kevindustrial

Post by kevindustrial » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:08 pm

Man, by far the biggest mistake on my part was buying a Korg Prophecy. I can't wait to get rid of this thing. It has a ton of boring sounds, I initially didn't think a monophonic synth would bother me as much as it does, I have issues with write protection everytime I go to save something...I can't wait to get rid of this thing!

- Kevin
Access Indigo 2 - Clavia Nord Lead 2x - Roland JP-8000 - Yamaha DX-7, DX-7IIFD - Korg Prophecy - MicroKorg - Roland G707 - Roland V-drums w/ TD-6V

cyanotic-online.com
-our role models are machines-

Peake

Post by Peake » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:55 am

That "Oberheim" VA from Gibson...the less said, the better.

The SH101. Curtis oscillator... Listen to the SH1 or SH2, please...you'll know what I'm talking about.

The Pro-One. I know that many dig it, but put it side by side with an Oberheim SEM, even for a basic detuned saw sound.

The mid-line Ensoniq stuff like the EPS which had noticeable zipper noise in the audio when using fast envelope settings. Same with the Korg O1W. Had zipper noise of a sort, a bit rough-sounding. The Ensoniq EPS build quality didn't impress me either.

I absolutely love the feature set on the Waldorf Q, but eventually fatigue from listening to entire tracks made on it. If it has a digital out, I'd like to hear it on a tube Wadia converter or something similar. That might be the ticket.

I don't like the down-sampling on many ROMplers, recent and past. Some have honky midrange too. Oddly, the Alesis Fusion, ugly as it is, lacks this quack. Really hate its PC-based file "management" system. Really like its FM section.

There was a Yamaha sampler that was out for only a minute? It was supposed to have had a terrifying user interface.
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Temper70

Post by Temper70 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:41 pm

If there's ever been a bad synth built I've probably had the displeasure of owning it. . . however it's been a love/hate relationsip since I was not content with merely being cursed by the c**p I bought and was compelled to re-route, re-patch, re-filter and re-program the s**t out of it until I got something that I didn't smell like tainted cheese. . . some of these synths are still in my lineup. . .

Oberheim Matrix-6 - The only thing keeping me from hurling this keyboard out my window is that it makes a great controller. . . the matrix modulation is interesting enough to sink your teeth into and the stock sounds are pretty good. . . this synth is a pain in the a*s to program and needs to be fixed every 5 years or so. . . considering I've owned it since 1988 that's a lot of repairs!!!

Alesis HR-16B - Those newbies at Alesis were on to something back in the late 1980s. . . but they wouldn't find it for another 20 years. . . the HR line of drum machines were easy to program had adequite routing via 4 ouputs, but their sounds were just attrocious!!! With presets titled "rap bass" and "techno snare" you might be inclined to think that they knew what they were doing, but nothing could be further from the truth. . . I sold mine about a year after I bought it and got damn near what I paid for it back in 1990. . .

Emu Emax - This 12bit sampler just sounded like s**t. . . there's no other way to put it. . . it was grainy, noisy, had a strange almost out-of-place analog filter and hardly enough memory to capture anything other than a tight snare drum. . . it was popular with the Nine Inch Nails crowd (probably for all the things I just mentioned) but useless as anything else. . . I had a bunch of nice Fairlight sounds on it, but once you loaded them (800k floppy) into memory you were done. . . it died back in 1995 after a power surge at my old college house. . . I collected the insurance on it (and everything else that was damaged) and spent the money on cheap domestic beer. . .

Roland MC-303 - From 1996 on I went into a synth-less phase where I just settled down with a pair of Technics SL1200s, a couple hundred techno records and a head full of acid. . . then came the Roland MC-303. . . I was back in the synth game. . . or so I thought. . . it was clear to me after 10 minutes of noodling around that I'd just been had. . . absolutely the most useless piece of c**p Roland has ever made. . . nothing can put it into words just how poorly this thing was thought out. . . I again sold it off and bought more beer. . .

Boss SP-303 - You'd think I would have learned that anything manufactured by Roland with the numbers 3, 0 and 3 in them should be avoided at all costs, but I still had residual flashbacks affecting my judgement. . . basically I was looking for a phrase sampler to just do basic loops and this seemed like a great little box. . . it even had built in effects!!! The piece of junk lasted about a day before I took it back to the store and demanded a refund which they promplty gave after I agreed not to burn the building down. . .

Novation A Station - What better way to build a synthesizer than to put it in a 1-U rack space!!! The knobs were cheap and the sounds thin. . . nuff said. . . bought and sold for roughly the same price. . .

Ensoniq SQ-1 - Although it wasn't mine, this is probably my least favorite keyboard. . . the sounds were appalling and the s/n ratio was terrible. . . the owner of the synth actually found more use for it as a coffee table in his sparcely decorated apartment. . .
Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland TB-303, Roland TR-909, Access Virus Ti Polar, Korg Elektribe RmkII, Clavia Nord Modular, Alesis MMT-8, Ableton Live-6, 2xTechnics SL1200, Mackie 1604