What's the worst synth ever made?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vanitypolice
Gear: XTk, Model D, Cat, MicroKorg, Voyager RME, RE-201, Logic 8, Waldorf Edition, Komplete Synths, Sylenth1, Ultra Analog VA-1, Ozone 4, red Gibson SG.
Band: Dangerous Muse

Post by vanitypolice » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:18 pm

Analog Freak wrote:The Yamaha DX-9 gets my vote for having a crappy interface, while being nearly the same price as its hotter sister, the DX-7. Another vote for the Darkstar being a piece of c**p. It makes a good paperweight or doorstop, but not much else.
i'm sorry i like the dx9. i got mine with road case for $70 and it's a great controller for the road. I never have to worry about it getting hurt because it's so damn tough and if it ever did, i wouldn't cry. Also it's really good for programming simple FM sounds. Who wants to take the time to program a DX5 anyway!?!
I have found that when it comes to gear, believe the hype.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:42 pm

Evolver

VCO
Gear: Yamaha CS-15, Roland JD-800, Doepfer A-100 modular, various Novation stuff.

Post by VCO » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:50 pm

Out of the ones I've used, Spectral Audio ProTone is probably the worst piece of f*cking c**p I've ever encountered. Imprecise, lowest-quality-there-is pots, thin sound, ugly, boring to work with - completely useless! I kept mine less than 24 hours, I couldn't even stand looking at it!

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:54 pm

EddieJ wrote:Dammit, why was this thread started an hour after I placed what landed up being the winning bid on a Darkstar XP2???
I guess I'll just sell it right away. I was reading reviews for a while before I decided to go through with it, then I get here and this thread has popped up. There was also another thread that I found which educated me on the fact that I'd spent too much on it.
Blast.
give it a good go before selling it - your own opinion is the most important one. you might like it, you might hate it.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:58 pm

Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:05 pm

burnt toast wrote:
EddieJ wrote:Dammit, why was this thread started an hour after I placed what landed up being the winning bid on a Darkstar XP2???
I guess I'll just sell it right away. I was reading reviews for a while before I decided to go through with it, then I get here and this thread has popped up. There was also another thread that I found which educated me on the fact that I'd spent too much on it.
Blast.
give it a good go before selling it - your own opinion is the most important one. you might like it, you might hate it.
I guess, but I just found out you cannot send the LFO to the filter cutoff, only the filter resonance(!). What genius thought that would be a good idea? I'm going to take a loss, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and just get the next Nova I see after payday.
EMX-1, ESX-1, MS2000R, Radias-R, XV2020, KS4, BassStation Rack, Live 6

Visit my music page on MySpace!

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:09 pm

JUGEL wrote:Evolver
Are you a-trollin' Jugel?
virb.com/ookpikk

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:11 pm

EddieJ wrote:
burnt toast wrote:
Blast.
I guess, but I just found out you cannot send the LFO to the filter cutoff, only the filter resonance(!). What genius thought that would be a good idea? I'm going to take a loss, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and just get the next Nova I see after payday.
yeah that sounds like a plan, i've got a nova and i love it to death. great little box - beats out the xp2 in everyway but i still find uses for the darkstar's odd sounds. but then the nova cost a lot more than the darkstar originally, not entirely fair to compare them - i'll check the lfo -> cutoff thing on the DS for you, i think you can set LFO 2 to it. yeah im sure you can. theres a knob for env mod of the filter and the shift function is the lfo mod. let me find the adaptor for you and ill double check.

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:17 pm

I was doing a Google for the XP2 and someone had posted a reply he'd received from Red Sound about the XP2.
I didn't receive it yet, so I haven't seen what sounds I can get out of it.
Are you aware of the software editor? I can't remember where I discovered its existence, and I can't find it.

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:27 pm

yeah theres a darkstar group on yahoo where you can get it from, tho i havent tried it. i havent been very keen on software editors but im warming to them since owning a micromodular so maybe i should give it another go. if you PM me your email address ill send you the manual as a pdf if you want.. and then we wont clog up this thread

T3rtium_Quid

Post by T3rtium_Quid » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:48 pm

Yet another vote for the Poly-800.

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:50 pm

PMed.

So, moving on.
Can I mention the Yamaha DJX? I was fooled into getting one years ago. I suppose it's really a toy, but can I count it?
If not, I'd like to submit the RM1x's synth side. The sequencer is incredible, but it seems the built in sounds are for demonstration purposes only.
Both are ROMplers. If ROMplers are inelligible, I have nothing. I've enjoyed every synth I've ever owned (the Darkstar didn't arrive yet).

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:57 pm

EddieJ wrote:PMed.

So, moving on.
Can I mention the Yamaha DJX? I was fooled into getting one years ago. I suppose it's really a toy, but can I count it?
If not, I'd like to submit the RM1x's synth side. The sequencer is incredible, but it seems the built in sounds are for demonstration purposes only.
Both are ROMplers. If ROMplers are inelligible, I have nothing. I've enjoyed every synth I've ever owned (the Darkstar didn't arrive yet).
The DJX wasn't a synth.
I can easily see your point on the RM1X though.....as a synth, it was rather horrid.

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:54 pm

I vote for the Motif, Triton and Fantom for causing almost every X vs Y synth thread ever posted on the internet. If we could only find other types of synths in stores we wouldn't have to resort to googling mp3s and hounding people with "which is better the Y or Z?" threads.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:20 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:
JUGEL wrote:Evolver
Are you a-trollin' Jugel?
naw.. I really just have never liked anything out of the evolver except for basic sounds ... sounds that I could do better on an Arp AXXE.

just don't dig it .. got more use out of a Poly 800.