What's the worst synth ever made?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shoontz

Post by shoontz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:28 am

Hey neandrewthal,
If you haven't seen this video before you should check it out:

http://nkhstudio.com/pages/bassline_mp4.html

I'm not saying that the Dark Star will be a classic. I'm just saying the 303 parallels are notable, (awkward interface, cheap resale price, sonic shortcomings).

Tell you what neandrewthal, we'll meet back here in 2016 and if the Dark Star isn't a classic I'll buy you one. However, if it is you have to buy me one.

Oh, and by the way, a decade is ten years. Not twenty.
Last edited by shoontz on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:59 am

this is a fun thread, especially since I've owned or still own most every synth mentioned!

One of the first synths I got was a DSXP2. I wouldnt have known good from bad but I did realize the one I had was defective. I gave it to a freind and bought another used one on Ebay.

Granted I was probably unable to get a good sound from any synth at that point but I was really bored with the abilities of the XP2. I am more knowledgeable now but I still wouldn;t go to that synthbecause it really offer nothing you cant do with somehting else. The joystick was fun when assigned to filter cutoff and res, though.

I have a poly800MKII. I have done the Moogslayer mod to it (in fact thats why I bought it..just for the fun of modding it) and I dont use it..but I like it. Its just too primitive compared to other synths I have. I like teh ability to express my playing by every method possible and the Poly800MkIII offers no veolicty sensitivity, aftertouch or aaditional controllers. Whatever minor bonus is contributed by the analog circuitry is pretty irrelevant to what I hear in my head.

anyway..there was more, but Im sleepy and I dont really care anymore
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:52 am

VCO wrote:Out of the ones I've used, Spectral Audio ProTone is probably the worst piece of f*cking c**p I've ever encountered. Imprecise, lowest-quality-there-is pots, thin sound, ugly, boring to work with - completely useless! I kept mine less than 24 hours, I couldn't even stand looking at it!
Than you never have met the Spectral Audio Syntrack, even worse.

I only once got a moderately decent sound out of it.
It took me a week or so of experimentation.
A bit of the output back into the filter input did the trick.
But if I tured 1 knob a bit the "good" sound was gone.
It was like ballancing on a knfe edge.
I pressed rec.
Put it up for sale and the sample sold it, thank f**k for that.

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:32 pm

electro-harmonix mini synthesizer

i'ts as if Huffy decided to make a EMS synthi clone and sold the idea to Kmart

EDIT: the synthi refrence could easily be a EDP wasp or something else with a membrane keyboard... yeah that's all i got
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

John H
Gear: Virus, Monomachine SFX-60, Proteus 2500, JP-8000, MC-300, QS TB-303 Devil Fish, TR-606 / 727 / 808 / 909, TeeBee MKIII, Live 9, Reason 8 + more

Post by John H » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:55 pm

shoontz wrote:Hey neandrewthal,
If you haven't seen this video before you should check it out:

http://nkhstudio.com/pages/bassline_mp4.html

I'm not saying that the Dark Star will be a classic. I'm just saying the 303 parallels are notable, (awkward interface, cheap resale price, sonic shortcomings).

Tell you what neandrewthal, we'll meet back here in 2016 and if the Dark Star isn't a classic I'll buy you one. However, if it is you have to buy me one.

Oh, and by the way, a decade is ten years. Not twenty.
Haha, great video! Worth saving on the harddrive.

yburn

Re: another vote for the darkstar XP2

Post by yburn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:28 pm

7Hz wrote: Without wishing to be rude, they were probably smoking their advertisers c*cks, same as every magazine available. When was the last time you saw something trashed in a mag? They never do it, because they are b**ches to the pimp advertisers.

"So good, I bought the review unit."

Yeh, right.
SOS were not nice about the Waldorf Q when it first came out with all it's bugs. They seemed to like it once the later OS's came out.

worst synth I have ever had was a Roland U20. sounded c**p and you could barely edit on it.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:00 pm

JUGEL wrote:
GeneralBigbag wrote:
JUGEL wrote:Evolver
Are you a-trollin' Jugel?
naw.. I really just have never liked anything out of the evolver except for basic sounds ... sounds that I could do better on an Arp AXXE.

just don't dig it .. got more use out of a Poly 800.
So more of an 'I don't like this synth' rather than a 'This is the worth synth ever'?
virb.com/ookpikk

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:40 pm

roland d 10?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:30 am

I'm selling my poly 800 tomorrow along with that horrible little drum machine, the super drums ddm110 :)
it doesn't get much use..
and because of the lack of features like no velocity, no aftertouch and bad midi it doesn't score much for me.
But the sound is ok and that little step sequencer is amazing :D

so I'll have to say the Poly 800 is the worst I've tried
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:41 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:
JUGEL wrote:
GeneralBigbag wrote: Are you a-trollin' Jugel?
naw.. I really just have never liked anything out of the evolver except for basic sounds ... sounds that I could do better on an Arp AXXE.

just don't dig it .. got more use out of a Poly 800.
So more of an 'I don't like this synth' rather than a 'This is the worth synth ever'?
well .. I bet I could make some pretty bad a*s tunes with what most people consider "bad". It's all about how much use I can get out of something ... not if it's features are good or not. I thought this was all personal taste?

runner up : MS2000
Last edited by JUGEL on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:56 am

cbjlietuva wrote:electro-harmonix mini synthesizer

i'ts as if Huffy decided to make a EMS synthi clone and sold the idea to Kmart

EDIT: the synthi refrence could easily be a EDP wasp or something else with a membrane keyboard... yeah that's all i got
what are you talking about?!?! there's absolutely nothing wrong with synths made of cardboard.

-geoffrey smallsynth

Brando

Post by Brando » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:21 am

Yeah, The Poly 800 is certainly a pile o c**p. I got one for free, and just for laughs did the "moog slayer" mod on it (2 pots and a couple of resistors)...It still sucks....but slightly less. :roll:

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:59 am

Put me down for the Poly 800, it's probably the only synth that if someone offered me one I'd say no.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

REwire

Post by REwire » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:23 am

I add another vote for the POLY 800. Think that and the Darkstar win worst synth ever. I have a Moog Slayer and that didn't help.

Also the Roland D-10/110.

Hate to put down a great company but anyone own the Jomox Resonator Neuronium? WTF on that one, I couldn't get a cohesive thing out of it.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

Dirk

Re: another vote for the darkstar XP2

Post by Dirk » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:55 am

yburn wrote:
7Hz wrote: Without wishing to be rude, they were probably smoking their advertisers c*cks, same as every magazine available. When was the last time you saw something trashed in a mag? They never do it, because they are b**ches to the pimp advertisers.

"So good, I bought the review unit."

Yeh, right.
SOS were not nice about the Waldorf Q when it first came out with all it's bugs. They seemed to like it once the later OS's came out.
If a mag says a synth is not so nice, you know it's utter c**p.