What's the worst synth ever made?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
burns46824
No Longer Registered

Post by burns46824 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:10 am

Yamaha TX-7.

synthothesynthenator

Post by synthothesynthenator » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:35 am

I hated the Sequential Circuits Multi-Trak when I owned it. It was so weak sounding and I hate to admit it but I traded my Moog Source for it way back in the day. I already had 3 other Moog models and wanted a Polyphonic synth so somebody talked me into it. What a dumb move and such a waste. I never recovered from that so the Multi-trak might be a good synth but I still hate it.

I didn't like my Evolver either. I want to like Dave Smith's synths but I haven't played one that I like yet. Maybe I should try a Prophet 5 or Pro-One.

monk_volcano

Post by monk_volcano » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:22 am

poly800 doesn't suck... U DO!!!

konvert

Post by konvert » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:51 am

monk_volcano wrote:poly800 doesn't suck... U DO!!!
Oh, how true.

I guess it's too complicated piece of machinedry for some people, so they really can't get everything out of it :D

On a more serious note, though, I liked the lil bugger.
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior

monk_volcano

Post by monk_volcano » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:52 am

i dunno.. it can suck, if you want it to sound like a moog or something.

But I've gotten a ton of sounds that are good... better than good, they're very unique, specially if you are using the extreme self resonance of the moog slayer mod, along with the wonky lfos and envelopes that come with it.

also, the weird one filter for all notes thing can come up with some very weird shite.

I remeber how when i was younger, i thought that my NES and gameboys sounded sooo crappy, but now, I think they sound aweomse.

I'd like to try to see someone make their instrument (hardware, software. whatever) sound like a poly800..

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:55 am

konvert wrote:
Oh, how true.

I guess it's too complicated piece of machinedry for some people, so they really can't get everything out of it :D

On a more serious note, though, I liked the lil bugger.
I agree.

Nothing wrong with a poly800.

Those envelopes are realy cool.

And it's dirt cheap.

caligari

Post by caligari » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:01 am

I know some like it but I hate the Moog MG-1. It is a rogue for morons. the parameters are changed to c**p like cotour and tone and loudness. plus it looks like trash.

of course the mini has the same kind of cheesy names on it .
Current Rig : Mac G5, MOTU 828 mkII, Moog Minimoog, Arp Axxe, Korg Poly 61m, Korg Poly-800, Korg Microkorg, Ensoniq ESQ 1, SQ-80, EPS sampler, DX-27, DX-7, Rx-5 drum machine, Alesis HR-16, Boss Dr-55, Synare, PAIA 9700 system, Roland MKS-100,

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:54 pm

I say it every time we do this topic: Roland D10. Seemed like a good idea in 1988, but unfortunately, it sounded like shite.

The Poly800 may be largely a waste of space now, but in 1983 it did a decent enough job for a sensible amount of money. There are plenty of synths that did a good job back in their day, that are of little use now. The D10 on the other hand, was pants when it was released.
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:05 pm

The mg 1 is not a bad sounding synth. I got rid of mine because the quality of the sliders concerned me(cheap and nasty).
Plus the residue of the dust protecting material rots and ends up in the sliders.
Swopped it for a nice arp omni 2... :D
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:57 pm

Monk, to me, the poly 800 sucks, but yet I love the poly 61 which everyone seems to hate. The simple fact is what synths we like are purely subjective, and the ones we like we will play prince save-a-ho, lay down our cloaks over puddles for, and defend them fearlessly against anyone who would even hint at tainting their reputation. Yet we'll trash a synth that someone else feels the same about. But really, they're just inanimate objects, and they could care less about how popular they are. Their feelings don't get hurt, their ego's don't get crushed, and they never feel any need to be defensive.
I actually played with a band that had one, and wanted a solo played on the thing because they wanted that sound. It was mine to take home with me, use any way I liked, etc. and frankly I couldn't stand the thing. So I copied the sounds into my poly 61 perfectly (So much for the guy who said you couldn't do that) , used the poly 61 for everything that they were using the 800 for, and sent the poly 800 back with the guitar player. I've tried them with and without the slayer mod since then, and my feelings haven't changed. I still think it's useless to me. I probably always will.
Does that mean people can't make good music with the thing? I've actually heard stuff I liked from it, in fact I think I heard it by someone here. It even made me want to try the thing again to see if I was wrong about not liking it. I wasn't, still couldn't stand playing it.
Does that mean if you like it I want to play big government and ban the things like they try with smoking? Nah, if you enjoy it, good for you. Have fun with it, I'd even play music with you if you brought it over and be OK. I just don't like it for myself.

Strangely though, I do have a TX-7 and like the thing.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:13 pm

caligari wrote:I know some like it but I hate the Moog MG-1. It is a rogue for morons. the parameters are changed to c**p like cotour and tone and loudness. plus it looks like trash.

of course the mini has the same kind of cheesy names on it .
There are certain things you can do on it that sound good. Keep in mind it's a cheap 2-VCO MOOG. I'm certainly not saying it's great but I can pull some mini-esque leads out of it plus nice rubber basses. But then I compare it to my 1-VCO Micromoog, and it's weird; the micro, having only one oscillator, sounds bigger and fatter than the MG-1. It also has a sub-osc and PWM capabilities, so that's probably why. It doesn't make much sense, and maybe I'll have to side-by-side them in a different environment, but I still do like the MG-1 for certain sounds. I remember obsessing about having one a few years back and I'm still glad I bought it.

I agree that the foam in the sliders can cause a real pain in the a*s, but with some careful work and contact spray I got it good as new. If you over spray the sliders they do tend to stick a little but it's fine from what I can see.
I like vintage synths....

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:25 pm

I really can not think of anything that is truly nasty :lol:
You always want just one more Synth!

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:55 pm

Ah, yer gotta try harder Synthacon. :wink:
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:05 pm

burns46824 wrote:Yamaha TX-7.
why? could you explain? I'm curious because I tend to agree with your hate.

burns46824
No Longer Registered

Post by burns46824 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:39 pm

I mean, look at the thing. Look at it! http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tx7.shtml

This is the kind of thing some grade school music teacher might buy in the late 80s. "They say it can make them e-lectronic piano sounds." I mean, you basically had to have a DX7 just to controll it anyway!