Has the Korg Radias bombed?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Has the Korg Radias bombed?

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:34 am

Just curious if there are any owners of the synth on the board here. I've read very little about this synth on here, and the few times I've played it in music stores were enjoyable. Spill it!

phwb

Post by phwb » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:14 am

I played it in a music store and found it to be far weaker than the competition for far more money. what is it with korg? they make gimicky garbage now. whats the deal with the optional keyboard thing? Korg are making money off the fact that they're old synths are so highly regarded and they try to pawn off c**p for big bucks and pay artists to use their s**t. ok so the kaoss pad is pretty cool, still could sound better and would be way cheaper if zoom or someone made it. The administration of Korg is taking its hard earned good name and assets and using it to scam people. Sorta like the United States.

putzgummycymbal

woot

Post by putzgummycymbal » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:52 am

I totally agree korg have become absolutely nutty to release s**t like they do. I LOVE my electribe, but when I look at the new triton extremes and press the keys and buttons and I kind of walk away shaking my head.
do you want to kiss me jim? yes I do! Simply tear into the sun.

you got it www.myspace.com/pierceaugust

monk_volcano

Post by monk_volcano » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:57 am

phwb wrote:I played it in a music store and found it to be far weaker than the competition for far more money. what is it with korg? they make gimicky garbage now. whats the deal with the optional keyboard thing? Korg are making money off the fact that they're old synths are so highly regarded and they try to pawn off c**p for big bucks and pay artists to use their s**t. ok so the kaoss pad is pretty cool, still could sound better and would be way cheaper if zoom or someone made it. The administration of Korg is taking its hard earned good name and assets and using it to scam people. Sorta like the United States.
lol.. sorta like the united states! That's half true.. the only thing is, the US just pretends like we had a good name, but really we're a country settled through genecide! hopefully i'll be up there in canada with you one day.

anyways.. yeah the radius seems like a major rip to me.

phwb

Post by phwb » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:12 am

monk_volcano wrote:
phwb wrote:I played it in a music store and found it to be far weaker than the competition for far more money. what is it with korg? they make gimicky garbage now. whats the deal with the optional keyboard thing? Korg are making money off the fact that they're old synths are so highly regarded and they try to pawn off c**p for big bucks and pay artists to use their s**t. ok so the kaoss pad is pretty cool, still could sound better and would be way cheaper if zoom or someone made it. The administration of Korg is taking its hard earned good name and assets and using it to scam people. Sorta like the United States.
lol.. sorta like the united states! That's half true.. the only thing is, the US just pretends like we had a good name, but really we're a country settled through genecide! hopefully i'll be up there in canada with you one day.

yeah i realized that as I posted it. Canada and mexico and every new world country is pretty much a country settled through genoside. the US must of stood for liberty at some point didn't they? things are taking a turn for the worse here too with our conservative government. I'd actually prefer it the US reformed and I could move there where its warm and there's oportunity, then have Candada improve that much. If we would do something senseable like say, legalize pot, you guys would probably invade us. in fact thats kinda what almost happened, google Marc Emery for details. Ok that was way OT, back to ripping Korg a new one.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:10 pm

Back to Jab's original post - is there anyone who actually owns one and has spent more time with it than playing it in a shop? I'm not having a pop at anyone here, but there are too many cases of gear being savaged on the grounds of a little time spent on one in a music shop - hardly a comprehensive (or helpful) review. :wink:

I actually thought the prospect of an MS2000 with greater polyphony was endearing, but aside from the demos on the Korg website, I'd be interested in hearing any demos from folk who've dug a little deeper into it.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:16 pm

havent owned, but have diddled it a few hours in the store, and can honestly say it doesnt sound like the ms2000
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:26 pm

Is it possible that the build quality of the new Korg Gear (Triton extreme, Radias) is not as good as the vintage gear beacause they are mostly build in China ? I'm not sure...I only have vintage Korg Synth (MS-20, MS-10, Trident...) and they are all very well made. Heavy, solid. And made in Japan.

I had the same opinion when i saw the new USB Keyboards from Korg. Ok, they are cheap. Allmost the same price thant M-Audio or Behringer USB Keyboards. But the build quality is very poor.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

KalinsFarm

Post by KalinsFarm » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:01 pm

I think it's a MS2000-Plus. The knobs are the same (maybe added a couple) and it has the same digital sound as my MS2000. IMHO, I would save my money and find a used MS2000. No one will know the difference at the CD release party.
www.virb.com/intaglioblue
PEK, Fizmo, MS2k, Electro61, Absynth, Karma, ESQ-1, Eps16+, MG-1, M-tron, Reason, Atmosphere, Kantos

KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Post by KnowGood » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:24 pm

spookyman wrote:
I had the same opinion when i saw the new USB Keyboards from Korg. Ok, they are cheap. Allmost the same price thant M-Audio or Behringer USB Keyboards. But the build quality is very poor.
You're telling me the build quality on M-Audio's plastic midi controllers is better than that of the microKONTROL or KONTROL 49? :?

cl516

Post by cl516 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:14 pm

old Korg definitely has good quality,
i had an old stage echo, looked almost brand new.
my VC-10 is also looking mighty young, even the original mic.

i thought the ms2000 was pretty quality too

Radias i played in a store, didn't spend enough time to make a judgment call.

MarkShovel

my in store demo from about 6 months ago

Post by MarkShovel » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:47 pm

pros:
- vocoder kicks a*s
- great dynamic electric pianos, nice distortion with high velocity
- nice use of tempo synced delays
- nice design, cool packaging
- lots of cool flashing lights,
- cool arp functions

cons:
- maybe too few keys
- not to sure about the keyboard to synth cable reliability
- maybe too expensive

I walked away with an improved perception of Korg.
Mark
A6 2 V-Synths VC-1 VC-2
OB-Xa OB-8 two Matrix-6 Matrix-1000 DX
Fantom X8 Waldorf uWAVE XT
JD-800 JP-8000 XP-50 Juno-60
JX-10 2 JX-8P's w/ 1 PG-800
2 JX3P's w/ 2 PG-200s
Moog Opus-3 Boss DR-770
21 guitars 3 Marshalls

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:59 pm

phwb wrote:
monk_volcano wrote:

yeah i realized that as I posted it. Canada and mexico and every new world country is pretty much a country settled through genoside. the US must of stood for liberty at some point didn't they? things are taking a turn for the worse here too with our conservative government. I'd actually prefer it the US reformed and I could move there where its warm and there's oportunity, then have Candada improve that much. If we would do something senseable like say, legalize pot, you guys would probably invade us. in fact thats kinda what almost happened, google Marc Emery for details. Ok that was way OT, back to ripping Korg a new one.
Umm not to derail the thread, but there was no genocide folks. You are overlooking a lot of stuff. I'll keep that short and sweet.

Anyways, i just wish Korg would make more solid equipment and stop making gimmicky c**p.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:36 pm

KalinsFarm wrote:I think it's a MS2000-Plus. The knobs are the same (maybe added a couple) and it has the same digital sound as my MS2000. IMHO, I would save my money and find a used MS2000. No one will know the difference at the CD release party.
but, it doesn't really have much in common with the MS2000 though, aside from its looks. completely different synthesis engine and functions in general. so, maybe everyone wouldn't "know the difference at the CD release party", but, that's only because not everyone knows one synth from another. play a MS2000, then play a Radias and i can't see how they could possibly be confused as anything similiar, because they're just as far apart as an MS2000 and any other synth (excluding the MicroKorg)

also, i don't understand why everyone is ripping on Korg, but, everyone always does. i don't know what ideas some of you have floating through your heads, but, Korg has never really had a great name. their old and now coveted analog gear wasn't popular when it came out, h**l, the MS series didn't get big until right before the year 2000, some 20+ years later. at the time they were overshadowed by virtually every other possible company and when the vintage craze started picking up momentum, they were one of the last to be noticed. the M1 was the biggest thing they'd done and more currently the Trinity and Triton. Korg has always been a fairly lack luster 'runner-up' company.
it wasn't until ex-Sequential employees came aboard and designed the Wavestation and then the OASYS (pci card) which led to the Prophecy and Z1 (which also lead towards the Electribes and Choas Pad and then lead to the MS2K and Micro) that Korg developed a "name' for themselves aside from making good workstations but, this was also around the same time their vintage gear started getting attention. now, people finally appreciate it as well.

i've yet to actually play a Radias, but, people have been ripping on it from the start. people have done the same with nearly everything. f**k about with presets for a half hour and call it c**p. much like how everyone used to say the JP-8000 was only good for Trance, but, it happens to be one of my favorite VA's and i hate that genre more than any other. or those that wrote off the MC-505 not understanding its a JV synth with a built in sequencer and great hands on control. and the examples could go on and on. stuff like this is obvious to me, but, so many are simply lazy and uninspired.
off the specs the Radias looks like a fine synth. i'd love to sit down with one for a while. at its price point there isn't much that offers what it does.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:44 pm

nice seph_ !! took the words out of my mouth and said them much better as usual.

ps - MC-505 still sucks as a drum machine ;)