Has the Korg Radias bombed?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Matthew savànt
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:15 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Post by Matthew savànt » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 pm

I played it for a couple of hours in the store and it's not an ms2000 that's for sure, though the knob layout is pretty much the same as is the build quality (not a good thing) but they do sound different.

It sounds good and it does a lot but it tries to do the whole make an entire song on this one board thing...which I f**k hate.

I did have fun and make a few cool sounds though. That being said I think there are much better buys for the money Korg has their heads up their asses big time, it's almost like they didn't know they had any competition. If the rack were $500 and the keyboard were $700 then I'd think about grabbing one...but for the money it goes for I'd much rather grab a virus TI.

-Matthew

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:56 pm

Does anyone else remember that the JP8000 retailed at $1,699 ??

Just saying .. seems like people think everything should sell at used prices.

User avatar
_seph
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:38 am
Real name: Joseph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology
Location: Iowa

Post by _seph » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:59 pm

Matthew savànt wrote:...That being said I think there are much better buys for the money Korg has their heads up their asses big time, it's almost like they didn't know they had any competition. If the rack were $500 and the keyboard were $700 then I'd think about grabbing one...but for the money it goes for I'd much rather grab a virus TI.
but you can't get a Virus TI for that price. the Radias (w/o keys) is only $1000, the Virus TI (w/o keys) is $1900. that's a pretty big difference in prices.
JUGEL wrote:Does anyone else remember that the JP8000 retailed at $1,699 ??

Just saying .. seems like people think everything should sell at used prices.
yes... i bought it new months after it's release (my first synth :wink: )

User avatar
Matthew savànt
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:15 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Post by Matthew savànt » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:05 am

_seph wrote:
Matthew savànt wrote:...That being said I think there are much better buys for the money Korg has their heads up their asses big time, it's almost like they didn't know they had any competition. If the rack were $500 and the keyboard were $700 then I'd think about grabbing one...but for the money it goes for I'd much rather grab a virus TI.
but you can't get a Virus TI for that price. the Radias (w/o keys) is only $1000, the Virus TI (w/o keys) is $1900. that's a pretty big difference in prices.
oops after reading that I just looked it up and it has gotten much cheaper then when it first came out...I remember it was almost the same price as the TI...at $1000 for the keyboard it's actually not that bad.

User avatar
indigoguy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:45 am
Location: glasgow, scotland

Post by indigoguy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:15 am

Matthew savànt wrote:
_seph wrote:
Matthew savànt wrote:...That being said I think there are much better buys for the money Korg has their heads up their asses big time, it's almost like they didn't know they had any competition. If the rack were $500 and the keyboard were $700 then I'd think about grabbing one...but for the money it goes for I'd much rather grab a virus TI.
but you can't get a Virus TI for that price. the Radias (w/o keys) is only $1000, the Virus TI (w/o keys) is $1900. that's a pretty big difference in prices.
oops after reading that I just looked it up and it has gotten much cheaper then when it first came out...I remember it was almost the same price as the TI...at $1000 for the keyboard it's actually not that bad.
bloody h**l its going for £1000 for the keyboard version over here at the moment, so more of a virus price bracket than an ms2000 one...they've sorta left a big gap in their range between it and the microkorg, you can get an ion for around £400 for sake of comparison
...this isn't vodka, it's not even chocolate...
Gear: mc-505, an1x, sp-404, mustang, big baby, glockenspiel, cubase

User avatar
_seph
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:38 am
Real name: Joseph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology
Location: Iowa

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:32 am

indigoguy wrote:
Matthew savànt wrote:
_seph wrote: but you can't get a Virus TI for that price. the Radias (w/o keys) is only $1000, the Virus TI (w/o keys) is $1900. that's a pretty big difference in prices.
oops after reading that I just looked it up and it has gotten much cheaper then when it first came out...I remember it was almost the same price as the TI...at $1000 for the keyboard it's actually not that bad.
bloody h**l its going for £1000 for the keyboard version over here at the moment, so more of a virus price bracket than an ms2000 one...they've sorta left a big gap in their range between it and the microkorg, you can get an ion for around £400 for sake of comparison
i agree that the original price of the Radias was a bit much. but, the current price is great considering (features vs cost). indigoguy, i'd expect you'll see a price cut sometime soon... the current price of the Radias is really probably £500 (give or take) here, for the sake of comparison. (god, the US dollar sucks so much) off specs alone, i'd spend £100 or so more than an Ion for one (if i was in the market for that sort of thing)

User avatar
Matthew savànt
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:15 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Post by Matthew savànt » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:38 am

.....I wonder if the space to the right of the keyboard version is big enough for a small powerbook :-k

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:38 am

You can't gauge the success of a synth by how many threads posted on this forum, anyway. We're maybe 15-20 guys/girls tops that post here regularly?

User avatar
_seph
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:38 am
Real name: Joseph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology
Location: Iowa

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:47 am

Matthew savànt wrote:.....I wonder if the space to the right of the keyboard version is big enough for a small powerbook :-k
yes it is. i saw a pic with it and a white MacBook... even though i don't want a Radias and don't use softsynths it made me think about it for a second. also, its kind of cool that you could put a Kaos Pad or Electribe there (great marketing scheme, kudos to Korg for that) i imagine for live use, that would be nice.

User avatar
phwb
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:25 am
Location: Montreal

Post by phwb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:09 am

Neonlights84 wrote:
phwb wrote:
monk_volcano wrote: lol.. sorta like the united states! That's half true.. the only thing is, the US just pretends like we had a good name, but really we're a country settled through genecide! hopefully i'll be up there in canada with you one day.

anyways.. yeah the radius seems like a major rip to me.
yeah i realized that as I posted it. Canada and mexico and every new world country is pretty much a country settled through genoside. the US must of stood for liberty at some point didn't they? things are taking a turn for the worse here too with our conservative government. I'd actually prefer it the US reformed and I could move there where its warm and there's oportunity, then have Candada improve that much. If we would do something senseable like say, legalize pot, you guys would probably invade us. in fact thats kinda what almost happened, google Marc Emery for details. Ok that was way OT, back to ripping Korg a new one.
Umm not to derail the thread, but there was no genocide folks. You are overlooking a lot of stuff. I'll keep that short and sweet.

Anyways, i just wish Korg would make more solid equipment and stop making gimmicky c**p.
oh my dear God, how do you define genoside? Its a hitsorical fact that the native population of north america was reduced to something like 5% of what it originally was in the first 200 years of colinization. the Amaiericans burnt full villages, women and children. Canada is as bad for different reasons regarding native relations. What 's all this stuff that I'm overlooking, slavery? manafest destiny? the fact that the natives resisted to having their land raped and pilaged and their culture irraticated. That makes it war that we won and they lost right, is that what you're saying? I beleive in manifest destiny to some extent but not dehumanisation, paternalism, rape and f**k. what are llike in the KKK or something?
back to the other K word that inspires almost as much discust.
new Korg=s**t, old Korg=bad a*s. If you want to continue this OT discussion PM me or start a thread in Off Topic.

User avatar
_seph
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:38 am
Real name: Joseph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology
Location: Iowa

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:30 am

phwb, i only mention this out of the joy of pure irony.
but, its interesting how some have distorted impressions of history isn't it.

User avatar
PitchBender
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:04 pm
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice
Location: Texas

Post by PitchBender » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:37 am

f**k
good name for a band.

User avatar
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 am
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed
Location: Boston, MA

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:45 am

Its 51st on musician's friend best seller list.... outsold by such jewels as the Neko and the Andromeda...

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:50 am

phwb wrote: or start a thread in Off Topic.
no, really, we cant take no more...

the thing that struck me about the radias (this is the first thing i always look for in a synth) is the lack of an immediate personality/character. the microkorg has gobs, as does the prophecy and even the x5d and 707... the radias just sounded sort of.... (dont flame me) alesis ion-ish (not in a literal sense). it just never whipped out its appendage and said "rock out" which is the same way i felt about he micron and ion. the idea, set up, and implimentation of a rack built into a keyboard is damned genius though...a shame it wasnt a more universal design. if it took off, korg could have marketed various racks for fitting in there...a sampling rack, a rompler rack, a legacy collection style rack...would be pretty sweet.

damn...now i want a prophecy.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:52 am

phwb wrote: new Korg=s**t, old Korg=bad a*s. If you want to continue this OT discussion PM me or start a thread in Off Topic.
Go for it.... If this is all you've got to say about Korg or the Radias than piss off.

Thanks to everyone else who's given honest opinions. I need to play it again soon before I can say anything about it.

Locked