Has the Korg Radias bombed?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:53 am

tallowwaters wrote:damn...now i want a prophecy.
Doooo it. :wink:

Seriously though, the MOSS synthesis system is amazing. Props to korg on that one at least.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:58 am

MitchK1989 wrote:Seriously though, the MOSS synthesis system is amazing. Props to korg on that one at least.
what do you mean "at least"?
i agree, the OASYS derived MOSS synths are two of the greatest digital synths ever made (yes, in my opinion, but if this isn't your opinion as well.. i'm sorry, but you're stupid (seriously))

everyone's own personal taste in gear aside (including my own) i just don't understand people saying that modern Korg is c**p. the previously mentioned (and you're stupid if you don't agree) MOSS synths are brilliant. the Wavestation was a great synth. Korg's workstations are good workstations (plus you can add the MOSS card :wink: ) the Electribes are fantastic for what they are, their MIDI controllers are cool, many people loved the Legacy Collections, almost everyone likes the Khaos Pads and there is a legion of MS2K/Microkorg fans.

so, i just don't understand how modern Korg gear is "c**p"
all of that gear looks pretty useful to me. now maybe this just isn't the sort of gear that you yourself are into (i know i'm not into all of it,) but, that certainly doesn't make it c**p now does it? i wouldn't go around saying that a Jupiter 8 or Prophet 5 or even an Andromeda were c**p just because i don't care for analog polysynths and even if i did, most would laugh at me and think i was... oh, i don't know... stupid. also, i don't like workstations and think they're boring but you know what, a lot of people do and those people tend to outnumber synth geeks.

so, here we are. the Korg Radias. i don't know, i haven't played it. but, Korg is doing a h**l of a lot better now days than they did in their early years (this isn't opinion, it is fact.) everyone appreciates all of that "c**p" now, no one ever did then (unless they couldn't afford "better") but now all of that "c**p" is 'the s**t'

just something to consider when you see gear that you would dismiss.
and concerning Korg, they've really become quite the company,
especially if you compare them to how they used to be perceived.
i don't want to defend them. i'm by no means a Korg fanboy but when people start tossing around terms like "c**p" and "garbage" ...well, when people are just being stupid.. it annoys me a bit.

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:50 am

When I first saw them, I really wanted to like them because they looked sexy. People seem to be split on it, but as far as I am concerned, its exactly what I would have though a synthesizer should look like when I was a kid (if I had known what synthesizers were). I excitedly played with one in a store, and just kind of shrugged and walked away to play with the virus kb.

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 am

phwb wrote:
Lots of them wrote:*snip the stupidity*
oh my dear God, how do you define genoside? Its a hitsorical fact that the native population of north america was reduced to something like 5% of what it originally was in the first 200 years of colinization. the Amaiericans burnt full villages, women and children. Canada is as bad for different reasons regarding native relations. What 's all this stuff that I'm overlooking, slavery? manafest destiny? the fact that the natives resisted to having their land raped and pilaged and their culture irraticated. That makes it war that we won and they lost right, is that what you're saying? I beleive in manifest destiny to some extent but not dehumanisation, paternalism, rape and f**k. what are llike in the KKK or something?
back to the other K word that inspires almost as much discust.
new Korg=s**t, old Korg=bad a*s. If you want to continue this OT discussion PM me or start a thread in Off Topic.
Jesus H. Christ, son. Virtually every modern nation and most of the old ones were founded by warfare and killing and slaughter. Learn your f**k history already, the U.S. isn't the first nation to start the way it did. Won't be the last, either.

And learn to spell.

Korg Radias = I think it just wasn't up to the task of taking on the Ion, especially from a price/performance ratio.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:22 am

Does anyone at VSE own a Radias? I was interested when I first saw it but other than this thread (without looking too deaply) it's been mostly obsolete in topic. Very dissapointing in respect to the Radias! The issue with the keyboard and price reduction (and from what I understand a litigious issue with the sliding keyboard to rack connection) has made the Radias the Pink Elephant of modern VA's.

It looks nice and i'm sure it sounds and plays OK but I suppose Korg should stay with workstations and the KAOSS pads. IMO good stuff.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:50 am

Wiglaf wrote: Jesus H. Christ, son. Virtually every modern nation and most of the old ones were founded by warfare and killing and slaughter. Learn your f**k history already, the U.S. isn't the first nation to start the way it did. Won't be the last, either.

And learn to spell.
Hahaha! Thank you. Someone with a brain and integrity.
Wiglaf wrote: Korg Radias = I think it just wasn't up to the task of taking on the Ion, especially from a price/performance ratio.
I don't know if Alesis is up to the task of keeping the Ion on the shelves, sadly. Korg's business model seems to be to keep a product alive for as long as possible. Look at the MS2000, man that thing has been in production for a LONG long time. I haven't heard or seen anything indicating the Radias is being cut already, except for the price drop. Didn't MS2000 see price drops until they hit the magic $799 or whatever it was at for years?

Anyway, on the matter of Korg-bashing and their recent products: I've always liked Korg stuff, at least their stuff from the '70s and '80s. Never was a fan of the M1, the Wavestation, the Trinity or the Triton. All of those seemed well-made enough, and it was actually the M1 that put Korg on the map, made the rise to the level of Yamaha and Roland to be one of the "big three".

However, the MS2000 FELT low-quality to me and sounded thin. The Triton LE, the X50, the TR, and especially the Micro-X (not to mention the Karma) all feel like cheap plastic toys you get from the dollar toy-bin at Target. Very embarrasing for Korg, IMHO. Yeah, they're the low-end, but they really went low with those. The sound is lackluster. This is MY impression of these and really makes me not interested in anything else they have right now - I mean does Korg need to have a $8499 retail price to deliver QUALITY? That's a legitimate gripe from an educated consumer. Just like Roland's SH201 - it's a cheap piece of s**t, but it sounds AWESOME so at least it has that going for it. Actually I think the Fantoms feel cheap, too.

Matthew savànt

Post by Matthew savànt » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:44 am

Why is the Radias being held up to the ion?

To me the Radias seems more like a modern sounding synth (like virus/waldorf/nord) and not as much like an analog emulator.

Not to say that it can't do analog sounds, the virus waldorf and nords can do analog sounds too but to me they excel at modern sounds...Which the ion just can't do.

When I first tried the Radias I wasn't really to into it, mostly because of the crazy price tag and my virus TI lust but now that the price has gone down I'm thinking it might quench my Virus needs...

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:58 am

Hey, Wiglaf, did you get the "hey asshole" PM from phwb, too? Just wondering...

Yeah, I agree that the Radias is totally different from the Ion in terms of sound, however overall, when it comes to sound/performance/quality ratios, the Ion is strong competition to the Radias. In a mass market, where people who already have a few ROMplers for their bread and butter sounds, and are looking for a "synth" to go with their board, the Ion by virtue of its price, sound and build-quality is a strong contender against a lot of things out there.

I don't know if the Radias lit a fire under the Virus/Waldof/Nord crowd - which seem to me to be more boutique than mass-market boards. And when you add in the Evolvers, Moogs, and other small mom-and-pop boutique synths, along with the entire modular segment, your $1700 (before the price drop price) could get you something cooler/analog/different/not-Korg. The $1200 price makes a lot more sense and so we'll see if the new price puts more of them out there.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:32 am

I have owned mine for nearly 6 months now and play it all the time. I have sold off many synths in the past year or so but plan on keeping this one. I pd $1300 cdn for mine and don't regret it at all. I as others have said wish that the kybd was 61 keys instead of 49 but what the h**l. When I first demo'd it I thought its ok but that was spending about 2 hours with it in a very crowded store and mainly going through the presets. Went back a few weeks later for another few hours and brought it home as I started tweaking some and got an inkling what this was able to do. The presets are just ok, like many bds out there you can't fully judge on the presets alone and yes that A1 "Harness the Power of Radias" did get very irritating. the Vocoder is a gas, the bd really comes alive when you get into the software and mod. routings etc. I can play everything from The Doors and The Who to electronica etc on this thing but I would not own it as my only bd, this is where I think bds like the Fusion etc come in. I have no idea why they priced the controller so high though - really i'ts only good for the Radias, I lucked out and got mine for $159 cdn as there was a misprint on the stores website. I do run it through a tube pre then to the bd, but then again I do that with my Voyager as JP8 as well. Like all synths it won't be for everyone but with this one it is easy to program and for me its a good fit. (It also looks great on the 2 tiered stand with my Voyager when the lights are down).
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

phwb

Post by phwb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:00 am

I prommised I wouldn't post on this thread anymore but screw it!
sizzlemeister wrote:
Wiglaf wrote: Jesus H. Christ, son. Virtually every modern nation and most of the old ones were founded by warfare and killing and slaughter. Learn your f**k history already, the U.S. isn't the first nation to start the way it did. Won't be the last, either.

And learn to spell.
Hahaha! Thank you. Someone with a brain and integrity.
Integrity? perhaps but not visible from that comment. a brain? I'm sure but not one thats working very well if this is how he responds to my post, with a comment that has nothing to do with anything i said. If anyone here cares they can look for themselves, start at page 1. anyone who doesn't know what I said to be fact should be the ones to "learn their f**k history already". And I sincerely hope that the no more countries do start the way the US, or Canada, Mexico, South Africa, etc. did, but I fear if people think that this is brains and integrity, than they will continue to. All thats necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Yes sizzlemeister, wiglaf got the same "hey asshole" PM its funny that you new I'd use the same header, I was gonna use something different. Mods, please don't lock this thread and if anyone wants to comment on my offtopicness or tell me I don't know s**t or that I'm a troll just PM me. I'm done now.

I also want to detract some of the my comments about Korg, some of there new stuff really is quite innovative, like the OASYS, I guess the electribe series was pretty revolutionary and pretty cool and I already mentioned the Kaoss pad. I'm just disapointed by their VA gear. I personally think it could sound better and they make up for this by dressing it up like their old synths and getting big bands to use it on stage, to me thats a scam. the radius might not bomb after all at the new price, it does have the cool looking thing going for it. And some peope seem to like the sound of it. Here, just so I'm not a complete troll, to anyone who hasn't alrady read this review:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... ADIAS/10/1

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:45 am

KnowGood wrote:
spookyman wrote:
I had the same opinion when i saw the new USB Keyboards from Korg. Ok, they are cheap. Allmost the same price thant M-Audio or Behringer USB Keyboards. But the build quality is very poor.
You're telling me the build quality on M-Audio's plastic midi controllers is better than that of the microKONTROL or KONTROL 49? :?
No.

I'm not talking about the Kontrol Serie, but the simple "K" serie. (K25, K49, K61, K61p). The Kontrol Serie is much better, but also in another price range.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

indigoguy

Post by indigoguy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:28 pm

_seph wrote:
indigoguy wrote:
Matthew savànt wrote: oops after reading that I just looked it up and it has gotten much cheaper then when it first came out...I remember it was almost the same price as the TI...at $1000 for the keyboard it's actually not that bad.
bloody h**l its going for £1000 for the keyboard version over here at the moment, so more of a virus price bracket than an ms2000 one...they've sorta left a big gap in their range between it and the microkorg, you can get an ion for around £400 for sake of comparison
i agree that the original price of the Radias was a bit much. but, the current price is great considering (features vs cost). indigoguy, i'd expect you'll see a price cut sometime soon... the current price of the Radias is really probably £500 (give or take) here, for the sake of comparison. (god, the US dollar sucks so much) off specs alone, i'd spend £100 or so more than an Ion for one (if i was in the market for that sort of thing)
yeah if they got to that level i could get interested, especially as it has a perfect wee space for my 404 for playing live with,
later...
...this isn't vodka, it's not even chocolate...
Gear: mc-505, an1x, sp-404, mustang, big baby, glockenspiel, cubase

Sorcerio

Post by Sorcerio » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:39 pm

That X50 looks like a real winner! :D

:roll:

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:20 pm

phwb wrote:And I sincerely hope that the no more countries do start the way the US, or Canada, Mexico, South Africa, etc. did, but I fear if people think that this is brains and integrity, than they will continue to. All thats necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
Regardless of how you feel about genocide or spell it, I suspect General Synthesizers is not the place to discuss the whys and wherefors.
Last edited by clubbedtodeath on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:11 pm

seph,

Great post.

The deification of vintage synth makers always cracks me up. Even Roland was considered second-rate back in the 70s, only worth buying if you couldn't afford a Moog or ARP. Japanese synths really only started getting respect because of the Jupiter 6, DX7, D-50 and M1. At least they fared better than the Italians :(
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.